Is there such a thing as a reasonably price HD receiver? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By RayDunzl
  • 3 Post By DrDon

post #1 of 10 Old 09-04-2015, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is there such a thing as a reasonably price HD receiver?

I want an HD receiver that I can hook up to my new Denon receiver. Is there such a thing? The Denon was a gift, so I wasn't able to pick one that had HD radio. Is there something cheapish that I can buy and hook up to it so I can pick up HD radio?

For whatever it's worth, I have no experience at all with HD radio, but I'd love to have CD quality sound come out of my Boston Acoustics.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-14-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
There are three tuners that I know of:

Sony Sony XDR-F1HD
Sangaen HDT-1 and 1x (x has digital outs)
Auvio (was distributed by Radio Shack, has digital out, seems a clone of the Sangean)

None are available new unless you get lucky.

---

Some recievers had add-in modules you could buy.

Overall, for whatever reason, HDRadio at home has essentially disappeared.

I have two Sony's and an Auvio here. Watch the used markets, Amazon, eBay, etc.

---

It's not "CD quality". It's pretty good, though. I'm listening right now.

HDRadio is Hybrid Digital, not High Definition. Hybrid since the signal is tacked-on to the existing analog carrier.
bmcn likes this.

I'll be back later...

System links::: 1.5RQ > digits from all sources > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI with AcourateDRC > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
post #3 of 10 Old 09-26-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 182
The Sony models had the best sensitivity and very good tuners. There was also an Insignia model at Best Buy that had optical out similar to the Sangean. But regretably these models are no longer manufactured unless found on eBay or somewhere.

Currently there is an HD table radio from Sparc Radio on Amazon for $149. I believe it can be used as an external tuner and connected to speakers or a receiver with a 3.5mm cable.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-01-2016, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Guy View Post
For whatever it's worth, I have no experience at all with HD radio, but I'd love to have CD quality sound...
You are in for bitter disappointment. HD Radio is "CD quality" in the same sense MP3 is "CD quality". On one station that I frequent, the FM actually has more clarity than the highly-compressed HD stream. Particularly with the high-frequencies, which the digital compression just destroys.

Last edited by kitti; 08-01-2016 at 12:39 PM. Reason: clarified plurality
post #5 of 10 Old 08-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitti View Post
You are in for bitter disappointment. HD Radio is "CD quality" in the same sense MP3 is "CD quality". On one station that I frequent, the FM actually has more clarity than the highly-compressed HD stream. Particularly with the high-frequencies, which the digital compression just destroys.
Depends on the facility. In Detroit, the HDs are noticeably superior to the analog counterparts. In Tampa, there's a classical HD that's absolutely delicious to listen to. Don't assume your experience with one station applies to all stations. It certainly does not.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-05-2016, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Depends on the facility. In Detroit, the HDs are noticeably superior to the analog counterparts. In Tampa, there's a classical HD that's absolutely delicious to listen to. Don't assume your experience with one station applies to all stations. It certainly does not.
I know, and I don't assume that at all. Most of the HD Radio stations I listen to are way better than the analog. Like I said, there's only one that I listen to that has worse HD than analog (C89.5, Seattle). I've even reached out to the station engineer to let him/her know what I was experiencing; I never heard back.

But even the great HD stations are far from "CD quality". CD is, by definition, 44.1kHz/16b stereo PCM with zero compression. HD Radio doesn't come close. That's what I was trying to say, that if one expects CD quality from HD Radio, they will be disappointed. I know I was! Especially given (back to the OP) the high price of most HD receivers, I expected a much better.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
If you're expecting consumers to measure bitrates and resolutions to determine "CD Quality," then, yeah, there are going to be differences. But the phrase is "CD Quality" ..not "CD Exact." I know if I visit a restaurant that states "international quality," I'm not going to be disappointed to learn they only have domestic locations. I've been on cruises that offer "resort-quality accommodations." I did not get mad that part of my cruise didn't include a stay in a resort. At the same time, I was way impressed with the experience. A cruise is not a resort, but they can offer "resort-quality accommodations" most will say live up to the promise. With that in mind, I think the term "CD Quality" isn't meant to deliver the exact bitrates of CDs, but a similar experience of listening to one. (A well-engineered CD, that is. I've heard a lot of CDs mastered with crappy gear. A LOT.)

In my experience, I think all well-engineered stations deliver on the "CD Quality" promise. Remember, consumers think the commercial mp3's they get from iTunes are CD-quality. And they're quite happy with that. And, assuming a station isn't using commercial MP3s as a source, an HD Radio audio quality way exceeds those mp3s. I've yet to meet a single person who has taken a ride with me in my truck and listened to the difference when a station transitions from analog to digital. I get a "WOW!!" every time. Oddly, the biggest wow comes when I switch between XM and HD Radio. They're expecting little difference at all. Granted, the Detroit HD Radio stations are tightly engineered and deliver a sound experience meant to impress the automotive industry. But I've listened extensively to stations in Cincinnati, Atlanta, Oklahoma City, New Orleans, Orlando and Tampa. I have to say, most of those (not all) have a sound quality the human ear cannot discern from a CD of the same music. Which meets the "CD Quality" promise. Especially classical stations which tend to employ far less compression.

Here's a friendly offer: Let's meet up in Tampa. Let's drive around in my Silverado. You'll be blindfolded so you can't tell when I'm playing a CD or the local Classical station. I'll flip from CD to XM to HD. If you can guess correctly every single time, then I'll be happy to accept your expertise and experience over mine. And buy dinner.
egnlsn, bmcn and kitti like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
If you're expecting consumers to measure bitrates and resolutions to determine "CD Quality," then, yeah, there are going to be differences. But the phrase is "CD Quality" ..not "CD Exact." I know if I visit a restaurant that states "international quality," I'm not going to be disappointed to learn they only have domestic locations. I've been on cruises that offer "resort-quality accommodations." I did not get mad that part of my cruise didn't include a stay in a resort. At the same time, I was way impressed with the experience. A cruise is not a resort, but they can offer "resort-quality accommodations" most will say live up to the promise. With that in mind, I think the term "CD Quality" isn't meant to deliver the exact bitrates of CDs, but a similar experience of listening to one. (A well-engineered CD, that is. I've heard a lot of CDs mastered with crappy gear. A LOT.)

In my experience, I think all well-engineered stations deliver on the "CD Quality" promise. Remember, consumers think the commercial mp3's they get from iTunes are CD-quality. And they're quite happy with that. And, assuming a station isn't using commercial MP3s as a source, an HD Radio audio quality way exceeds those mp3s. I've yet to meet a single person who has taken a ride with me in my truck and listened to the difference when a station transitions from analog to digital. I get a "WOW!!" every time. Oddly, the biggest wow comes when I switch between XM and HD Radio. They're expecting little difference at all. Granted, the Detroit HD Radio stations are tightly engineered and deliver a sound experience meant to impress the automotive industry. But I've listened extensively to stations in Cincinnati, Atlanta, Oklahoma City, New Orleans, Orlando and Tampa. I have to say, most of those (not all) have a sound quality the human ear cannot discern from a CD of the same music. Which meets the "CD Quality" promise. Especially classical stations which tend to employ far less compression.

Here's a friendly offer: Let's meet up in Tampa. Let's drive around in my Silverado. You'll be blindfolded so you can't tell when I'm playing a CD or the local Classical station. I'll flip from CD to XM to HD. If you can guess correctly every single time, then I'll be happy to accept your expertise and experience over mine. And buy dinner.
I like your points. I think your are correct, it just comes down to interpretation.

I'm a pretty literal person, so I suppose that's where I get hung up on the CD quality that HD Radio advertises.
Seattle culture is very tech-heavy; nobody I know (besides, maybe, Grandma) regards iTunes as CD quality. Once smartphones could easily play music and had data plans to support it, everybody I knew that had XM ditched it due to the incredibly low quality.

Cars, and especially trucks, are a horrible listening environment, by the way. My sedan has 10 individually crossovered speakers (not including subs), with dedicated amps and DSPed to "match the car". But it is still a car, there's only so much you can hear in a car. My HD Radio in the car sounds (except for my one poopoo station) pretty darn good. Listening in a car, there's a decent chance I'd end up buying you dinner

It's when I listen to HD Radio at home on the real speaker system that the digital compression shines its balding scalp.

I knew from the get-go that HD Radio only supports 150kbps in hybrid-digital mode, and is split among up to 2 further substations, and is using an antiquated proprietary audio compression codec. I wasn't very disappointed, but I attribute that to knowing ahead of time that "CD quality" was their marketing claim, and not at all reality.

I suppose the cities that you frequent might have better HD broadcasts than Seattle's. That might close the gap a little, but I still think most of the people on AVS Forum are going to be critical enough to easily tell the difference between CD and HD on a decent listening setup.

I think we are really on the same page, it's just my literal interpretation of CD quality doesn't translate to reality.

Relevant to the OP: I'm also a pretty cheap thrifty person, so I always look at the value in things. And for the price of HD receivers, I was hopeful to get more. ATSC receivers (totally different, I know, but for ballpark-comparisons sake) are under $40 and do a whole lot more "receiving" than just highly-compressed digital 2ch audio.

PS I'd love to get in a stranger's car, blindfolded, and see where I end up.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-07-2016, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The Sony models had the best sensitivity and very good tuners. There was also an Insignia model at Best Buy that had optical out similar to the Sangean. But regretably these models are no longer manufactured unless found on eBay or somewhere.

Currently there is an HD table radio from Sparc Radio on Amazon for $149. I believe it can be used as an external tuner and connected to speakers or a receiver with a 3.5mm cable.
To update the original topic, Sangean is now releasing a new HD Radio component tuner as well as a table radio as HD receivers. Glad to see some new affordable options in addition to the Sparc radios.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-12-2017, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Day Sequerra has the M4.2 SI (which is excellent) and McIntosh has the MR88 (which I have not heard). Both are available new. The Day Sequerra unit is about $1k (probably not within the range that the OP would call "affordable" and the Mac is in the $5k range, I believe, and is also probably "outside" the affordable range for most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page