New HD Radio Model Available From Sangean - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By DrDon
  • 1 Post By tylerSC
  • 1 Post By leoghenton

post #1 of 21 Old 07-18-2016, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked: 2565
New HD Radio Model Available From Sangean

New HD Radio Model Available From Sangean

Radio manufacturer Sangean has introduced a new tabletop HD Radio set, the HDR-18.

In addition to receiving HD Radio signals, it is also AM/FM-capable. It features 20 station presets (10 AM, 10 FM), supports emergency alerts and automatic multicast and simulcast reconfiguration. Like most of its analog counterparts, it has treble and bass controls and 10-key button for AM/FM direct input, as well as an auxiliary input and a remote control.

The clock radio is housed in a cabinet made of walnut.

The HDR-18 radio is available online and at authorized dealers for a suggested list price of $169.99.

- See more at: http://www.radioworld.com/article/ne....wXUnITu7.dpuf

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-18-2016, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Good to see Sangean returning to manufacture HD Radios. They also have a new component tuner, and another portable radio version. Hopefully these radios will have a cable connector for an external antenna like the previous models. They are listed on Amazon, but not yet available but says will ship in 1 to 3 months. Hopefully sooner than later.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-25-2016, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This is great news. Sangean makes some of the highest quality radios available today.

post #4 of 21 Old 08-01-2016, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The list price is now $199.99 but is available at Universal radio at $169.99. Checking their web site there are actually 3 new HD radios produced by Sangean,the HD-16; The HDT-20 (Tuner) & the HDT-16 (portable). The later two will be available for sale on August 8th. Funny that HD radio has outlasted some web sites who's users declared that HD radio was doomed and those posts were made years ago. With predictions like that some might suggest that a course in meteorology might improve their prediction skills.
post #5 of 21 Old 08-01-2016, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hopefully the new Sangean HD receivers will have good sensitivity with an updated tuner. The Sony tuners were very good but they don't make HD Radios anymore. And I believe the new Sangean table radio and component tuner will have an external antenna input which is best for distant HD reception, from rabbit ears to a good outside or attic antenna.
post #6 of 21 Old 08-05-2016, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I'm actually outfitting one of my Insignia HD boomboxes with an external antenna connection. The rod antenna broke off, so I'm using the opportunity to replace it with an F-connector. That way, I can use the rod at the pool and the house antenna in the kitchen.

post #7 of 21 Old 08-15-2016, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Hopefully the new Sangean HD receivers will have good sensitivity with an updated tuner. The Sony tuners were very good but they don't make HD Radios anymore. And I believe the new Sangean table radio and component tuner will have an external antenna input which is best for distant HD reception, from rabbit ears to a good outside or attic antenna.
I just received the HDR-18 today and I am very pleased to report very good HD Radio tuner sensitivity. Much improved over the old Sangean component tuner I have, and seems a bit better than the Sony as well. Analog seems good also. Just using the built in dipole whip antenna. I have not yet had a chance to remove it and connect to the external attic antenna which should significantly improve reception capability. But I am tuning an HD signal from 75 miles with just the whip antenna in the back bedroom, which is very good as the location in the house is not best optimized for reception. But very pleased with this radio so far, and the built in speakers sound good.
egnlsn likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old 08-20-2016, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I am very interested in the HDT-20.

Audiophile fanboy beliefs are based on myth, superstition and ego.
post #9 of 21 Old 08-24-2016, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auronihilist View Post
I am very interested in the HDT-20.
I am too but I believe it has been delayed to October. I have their original tuner, the 2nd edition with the optical output. It was good but the Sony version had a better tuner. Hopefully the new Sangean will be an upgrade.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-24-2016, 10:17 AM

Interesting, thank you tylerSC. Does the Sony have a better audio quality over the Sangean? Or does the Sony have the ability to pull in more stations over the Sangean?

post #11 of 21 Old 10-11-2016, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
I just received the HDR-18 today and I am very pleased to report very good HD Radio tuner sensitivity. Much improved over the old Sangean component tuner I have, and seems a bit better than the Sony as well. Analog seems good also. Just using the built in dipole whip antenna. I have not yet had a chance to remove it and connect to the external attic antenna which should significantly improve reception capability. But I am tuning an HD signal from 75 miles with just the whip antenna in the back bedroom, which is very good as the location in the house is not best optimized for reception. But very pleased with this radio so far, and the built in speakers sound good.
I'm looking into getting the HDT-20 when it's available. The HD signal you were getting from 75 miles away, would you be able to get that analog signal with an every day boombox, vs a CCRadio or Sangean tuner? Or do they just have a very strong signal? I would guess the 3 new Sangean HD radios would use the same style of tuner with the same sensitivity.
Thanks.
post #12 of 21 Old 10-20-2016, 07:32 AM

The HDT-20 tuner is now available. Looking forward to future reviews and customer feedback.

post #13 of 21 Old 11-07-2016, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin1jr View Post
I'm looking into getting the HDT-20 when it's available. The HD signal you were getting from 75 miles away, would you be able to get that analog signal with an every day boombox, vs a CCRadio or Sangean tuner? Or do they just have a very strong signal? I would guess the 3 new Sangean HD radios would use the same style of tuner with the same sensitivity.
Thanks.
The HD signal is very good as they use a separate multi bay HD antenna at full power from a very tall tower. And their analog signal is also full power and can be easily received. So that helps. There are other distant HD signals that don't lock on, although the analog will come in. But still a good tuner on the Sangean.

However, the HDR-18 has several bugs. The clock does not function properly and will not maintain correct time. And the dimmer light on the channel dial will not remain consistent. You have to constantly adjust. And you have to push the power button 2 or 3 times for the radio to turn on. Hopefully future releases of this radio will correct these issues.
post #14 of 21 Old 11-07-2016, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auronihilist View Post
The HDT-20 tuner is now available. Looking forward to future reviews and customer feedback.
I am awaiting feedback on this new tuner as well. Hopefully since the delay it won't have some of the bugs the HDR-18 did.
post #15 of 21 Old 11-24-2016, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
The HD signal is very good as they use a separate multi bay HD antenna at full power from a very tall tower. And their analog signal is also full power and can be easily received. So that helps. There are other distant HD signals that don't lock on, although the analog will come in. But still a good tuner on the Sangean.

However, the HDR-18 has several bugs. The clock does not function properly and will not maintain correct time. And the dimmer light on the channel dial will not remain consistent. You have to constantly adjust. And you have to push the power button 2 or 3 times for the radio to turn on. Hopefully future releases of this radio will correct these issues.
I hope so too. I have waited years to have a good HD component tuner, my only problem is that I'm 45 miles from my local HD signals, but with a good outdoor FM antenna (AntennaCraft FM6).
post #16 of 21 Old 12-23-2016, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Having had the HDT-1x for a few years, I am very impressed with the sound quality. The optical out is iffy with my setup (audio drop-outs) but the RCA out is 90% the sound quality and is rock steady. In the original unit I had, the optical out quit completely, it was out of warranty but a call into Sangean turned out to be very helpful- they took my old unit back and sent me a new/old stock unit, all I had to do was pay shipping.

It's always cool to hear the analog source going until the HD kicks in (when first turning on), the difference in SQ is quite stark.

Interested to know if anyone has gone form this model to the 20? Differences?
post #17 of 21 Old 01-08-2017, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by machpost View Post
This is great news. Sangean makes some of the highest quality radios available today.
A high quality radio with one speaker, Give me a break.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-09-2017, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
A high quality radio with one speaker, Give me a break.
No kidding. At least stick one on each side and pretend. That said, my BA Receptor serves as the sole radio tuner to my whole-house audio system (which IS stereo). I don't even know where its satellite speaker IS. I put it SOMEwhere. And, to me, its own speakers didn't sound all that great, anyway. Luckily, the BA as a tuner does great justice to the classical station I run most of the time. Pretty sure this would do likewise. I'd need to investigate the Sangean's alert system more fully. Though I'm perfectly happy with the programmable weather radio I use, now. If it ain't MY county or the ones south and west of me, I don't want to be pulled out of bed.

post #19 of 21 Old 02-08-2017, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have used the hdt-20 for two months. I have not done a side by side comparison with my prior Sangean hdt-1 and 1x. It seems to be an improvement over them in sensitivity and lock. It is not as sensitive as the Sony. Having digital out is a big plus over the Sony. I also like the variable display.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
DrDon likes this.
post #20 of 21 Old 02-21-2017, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Update: I have now done a side-by-side comparison between the new Sangean HDT-20 and older Sony FDR -1 ?. The Sony acquires far more FM stations and some HD FM stations. For strong local FM HD stations the Sangean HDT-20 sounds better with improved dynamics and spread.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #21 of 21 Old 02-21-2017, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Thanks for the update. I really wish they would add the ability to save more than 10 FM stations. I mean how hard can that be? My 30 yr old Onkyo tuner saves 20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page