Boston Acoustics Recepter HD questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-10-2016, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Boston Acoustics Recepter HD questions

I know this BA Recepter HD Radio received lots of discussion here when it came out years ago, but I looked for a master thread on it and couldn't find one. I've just put mine back into service and I hope someone can answer these questions.

1. I remember how to get into the "hidden menu" to adjust the EQ etc. by holding down the clock set button for 20 secs., but how do you SAVE all the settings? I discovered that all the audio adjustments I made got lost as soon as I turned the radio off and back on again.

2. This radio has a very aggressive 'Loudness' curve active by default. I see some pretty advanced looking audio settings in that hidden menu, notably one called "Bass Boost", but I don't know if any of them actually control how the 'Loudness' curve is applied. Does anyone know?

3. For some reason the extension speaker seems to play a little louder than the one on the radio itself but I can't find a 'Balance' control, even in the hidden menu. Maybe I just missed it, does anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
I never fooled with hidden menus, but might try. In fact, my BA has been relegated to "tuner" status for my AVR. I haven't used its speakers in ...forever.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-14-2016, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
I know this BA Recepter HD Radio received lots of discussion here when it came out years ago, but I looked for a master thread on it and couldn't find one. I've just put mine back into service and I hope someone can answer these questions.

1. I remember how to get into the "hidden menu" to adjust the EQ etc. by holding down the clock set button for 20 secs., but how do you SAVE all the settings? I discovered that all the audio adjustments I made got lost as soon as I turned the radio off and back on again.

2. This radio has a very aggressive 'Loudness' curve active by default. I see some pretty advanced looking audio settings in that hidden menu, notably one called "Bass Boost", but I don't know if any of them actually control how the 'Loudness' curve is applied. Does anyone know?

3. For some reason the extension speaker seems to play a little louder than the one on the radio itself but I can't find a 'Balance' control, even in the hidden menu. Maybe I just missed it, does anyone know?
I just found this, which might be somewhat helpful: http://www.radiolists.net/pipermail/...ne/035022.html

post #4 of 6 Old 09-14-2016, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by machpost View Post
I just found this, which might be somewhat helpful: http://www.radiolists.net/pipermail/...ne/035022.html
Thanks, machpost, I've attached a copy of those instructions as a properly-formatted Word document for the benefit of anyone else who may be interested.

It's a great resource but unfortunately it doesn't describe how to save your changes. I'm sure it's some simple thing but I haven't been able to find it.

Does anyone have a link to the Service Manual for this radio?
Attached Files
File Type: doc Boston Acoustics HD Recepter Radio Hidden Menu.doc (37.0 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Carnivore; 09-14-2016 at 12:49 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-25-2016, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 183
This Boston Receptor radio has very nice sound quality but unfortunately the HD tuner sensitivity is not as good as the newer HD Radios from Sparc, Sony, or Sangean. So a strong HD signal and good antenna is needed, but still a nice radio.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-01-2016, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
This Boston Receptor radio has very nice sound quality but unfortunately the HD tuner sensitivity is not as good as the newer HD Radios from Sparc, Sony, or Sangean. So a strong HD signal and good antenna is needed, but still a nice radio.
It's nice but the sound is horribly boomy. The factory EQ setting is awful, which is why I was trying to go into the hidden menu and save a much better EQ curve. It's possible to get it sounding much better by tweaking the settings, but then as soon as I turn the radio off they're lost again.

Yes, the tuner has notoriously bad sensitivity. In fact, this is *the* radio that really helped give HD Radio its bad reputation for its inability to lock onto HD signals. But I live in the city so it works fine for me. I just need to find out how to save the adjustments made in the hidden menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page