72 Mhz local broadcast...FM antenna - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gracepreacher

post #1 of 3 Old 02-28-2017, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 26
72 Mhz local broadcast...FM antenna

So...I don't know if this is the right place to ask these questions or not.

My church uses this Williams Sound T45 to broadcast a Spanish version of a sermon each Sunday (simultaneous interpretation) to users that use these R37 receivers in the worship center. The interpreter is set up in a room down the hall from the worship center, as he needs to be isolated. All works well, but we are on the edge of the coverage and cannot move him any closer. The result is that there some dropouts for users that like to sit at the far edge of the worship space. We don't get a ton of complaints...I've just instructed those users to sit closer to the other side (so that they are closer to the transmitter). Meanwhile, I'm told we can purchase any number of antennas from the same manufacturer for $100 and up and remote mount the antenna. This would involve quite a bit of trouble (our attic spaces can be a mess because of all of the add-ons to the building over the years) as well as could involve another ugly antenna in a worship space with low ceilings (most of the suggest antennas are dipoles that must be mounted vertically)...it presents more challenges than it is worth. The system operates in the 72-76 MHz FM band.

However, if I can simply (and safely) try an inexpensive FM antenna (maybe a directional one?) that will extend covereage greater than our whip antenna on the TX, but LEAVE the transmitter and antenna in the same area, I would love to extend the coverage for all. If we leave the antenna in the same space as the transmitter it can be as ugly as we want! My main concern is that we do nothing illegal, as we are a church and committed to obeying the laws of the land. My guess is that with a little more knowledge, I can put something together for less and help these brothers out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-02-2017, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's probably not the most effective place to ask since this forum is more about Hi-Fi gear than communications equipment.

I'll bet if you were to contact one of your local ham radio clubs you'd find someone willing to help. Those folks usually love any excuse to build a cheap antenna and finding a way to make it work, and they also thrive on doing community service. They should know all about doing it legally under the Part 15 regulations your system falls under, too.

Let us know if you try that, and how it works out. Good luck.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-02-2017, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
It's probably not the most effective place to ask since this forum is more about Hi-Fi gear than communications equipment.

I'll bet if you were to contact one of your local ham radio clubs you'd find someone willing to help. Those folks usually love any excuse to build a cheap antenna and finding a way to make it work, and they also thrive on doing community service. They should know all about doing it legally under the Part 15 regulations your system falls under, too.

Let us know if you try that, and how it works out. Good luck.
I knew it was a long-shot here...but didn't mind presuming on the kind and generous spirit that I've experienced on this forum. That is a GREAT idea. I'll post back if I get anywhere...or I may just buy the antenna made for this purpose for $65 and see what it does. We're not that hard up for funds...I just enjoy a good tinkering project now and again...as anything involving math and physics also fascinates me. Thanks again.
Carnivore likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page