extend a factory fm antenna - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-03-2017, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 37
extend a factory fm antenna

Does anyone know if I can use a length of 75 ohm cable tv wire to my attic and then attach the wire fm antenna cable that comes w/ an avr to that to get better reception? I'm assuming the height would make better reception but not sure if the cable wiring ruins/affects the reception. TIA for any help. My avr does not have a ribbon wire connection for fm

JVK Samsung QN65Q7FAM, UBD-K8500, Denon AVR-X6200W 7.1.4 Klipsch G-28, G-16, G-12 & R-115SW
Samsung UN65HU7250 w/ sek3500, Roku Ultra, Yamaha RX-V681 5.1 Klipsch G-28, G16 & R112SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-03-2017, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Your Denon has 2-wire connection for AM Antenna (a way too small AM-LOOP might have been included) and a standard 75-ohm Coax for FM Antenna.

YES, you should be able to improve FM Reception by using a (hopefully GOOD) FM Antenna in your Attic...but FYI: Roof Mount would be significantly better.

Most people would simply use the cheap Twin-Lead FM Antenna that MIGHT be laying around the house. But there ARE some better choices, as I summarized HERE:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/26-a...ml#post2922681

Since you are SURROUNDED by FM Stations, your "Best" choice for a Indoor (or Outdoor) Antenna may be the above cited Stellar Labs Dual-Hoop TRUE OMNI FM Antenna, which provides usable Gain on ALL Azimuth Angles. BTW: Most "Turnstile" FM Antennas are Bi-Directional with Deep Nulls to the sides of the antenna, rather than being Omni.

If you decide you want MORE GAIN, you'll need to mount the OMNI Antenna OUTDOORS....and perhaps upgrade to a Hi-Gain FM Antenna on a Rotator [although there are very few commercial Antenna choices]. I do NOT usually recommend trying to "Share" a TV Antenna due to various Technical Issues [Possible Overload, Combiner/Splitter Losses]....but if you insist I could take a look at trying to minimize degradations.

To see which FM Stations you should be able to receive, enter your Location into www.fmfool.com and let us know the result (COPY/PASTE the "Save Image" Link).

Last edited by holl_ands; 07-04-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page