AVS Forum banner

Any advice on the JVC KD-HDR1?

24K views 67 replies 39 participants last post by  jones07 
#1 ·
I'm strongly considering the JVC KD-HDR1 . Does anyone have any personal experience to share regarding this unit?

Thanks.

#4 ·
I'm wondering about MP3 playback.

Most of my CD's are ripped to VBR MP3 and I notice that many car players don't support VBR. Does the JVC?

Many car players don't have a way to fast forward or rewind during MP3 playback, and if you turn the car off, they start back at the beginning of the track. That's a big problem when listening to long podcasts. Does the JVC have FF/Rewind?

Thanks,

Chris

#5 ·
The circle surround feature really gives a nice sound -- makes it seem like the speakers are everywhere. That's probably my favorite feature. Even analog FM sounds really clean on it. You can clearly hear the compression used on HD2 channels that I've listened to. It's not really like an mp3 sound, but the highs are really swishy sounding and everything sounds kind of mechanical, for lack of a better way to put it.

I wish you could directly access an HD2 after turning it off. You always have to go through the HD1 first. That's probably my least favorite feature. I'm terrible with trying to install my own stuff, so I had it installed at car audio shop. It didn't take the guy long

I haven't come across any mp3s that it wouldn't play, although I haven't extensively tested yet. I think some of the mp3s I listen to are VBR, but I'd have to double-check. It does resume an mp3 from where it was last left and you can fast forward and rewind through a track.

Hope this helps!

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightBulb /forum/post/0

I'm strongly considering the JVC KD-HDR1[/url]. Does anyone have any personal experience to share regarding this unit?

Thanks.

I bought one from Crutchfield and hooked it up to my home stereo (using a 12-volt power supply). I may buy a 2nd one for my car, but I bought it for home use because it seemed like the most versatile unit that was available (outputs, IR remote, etc.).

I have not tested any of the MP3 features. I rely on my Empeg for that kind of stuff. I bought it simply to listen to the 2nd and 3rd channels of my local NPR station (particularly some music shows that aren't played on their primary channel).

The JVC seems pretty well designed and fairly easy to use, Not sure the color scheme is what I would choose, but that's OK. Alpines look nicer, but they don't have something like this with a built-in HD tuner.

I soldered up a 2-foot length of RG58 coax with a Motorola connector on one end and a F-type connector on the other so I could hook the JVC up to a few antennas I had on hand. HD reception for a number of local stations was *great* with a simple dipole. Except that HD reception of the *one* NPR station I wanted was nonexistant. I live behind a big hill that is between me and that station's transmitter, so this was not a big surprise. So I tried about 4 other antennas -- an omnidirectional Antennacraft "turnstile", a directional RatShack 15-2163, a cheesy Ratshack amplified antenna, and an old Bic Beambox 10. While several of these produce great, multipath-free analog FM on an old Pioneer tuner I have, they produced zilch HD for that station.

Anyhow, I went to the hardware store and bought some parts to build JUHA (Jim's Ultimate HD Antenna) and now all is good. I have all 3 HD channels for that station running without any problems.

So, I think the JVC is pretty nice.

One thing I will say: The JVC runs *hot*. I might need to play around with this a bit, but you could fry an egg on the JVC, even after 2 hours with the volume/gain turned all the way down. I may need to build an enclosure with a fan.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

Jim

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightBulb /forum/post/0

What do you like most about it?

Like least?

How do the HD2 stations sound?

Any problems with the install?

Thanks.

Besides the HD tuner (which was my main reason for purchase), the surround has been fantastic! The radio sounds great but with CS-A on the sound field really envelopes your car's interior. Another feature I've discovered and like: (I listen to MP3s half the time) when you start the car if you dont adjust volume/display the deck will scroll the album/artist info before switching to the song info.

The remote sucks! You practically have to put it on the face of the deck to get any response. So I don't bother with it.

Where I live the HD2 stations sound as good as the HD1's.

Install went smoothly. It's more about the vehicle you're installing into, the dash adaptor (if required) you use and things of that nature.

#10 ·
When you lock onto an HD station, the call letters wil appear. AAAA-FM If there is an HD2 the call letters will change to AAAA-HD1. Just use the d-pad and press up or down and you're there. Some stations have HD-3, though none where I live, and it should be just another press of the d-pad.

#11 ·
I've been researching this Receiver for a few days, sounds like a good deal to try out this new HD Radio plus it can play MP3s which my current one can't.

One question I have, does it have RDS info built in,, "Radio data service" I think thats what it means. You know where infomation about the radio station, current song title and artist will show up on the screen.

I like that feature, Its a must have for me

Thanks

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve57765 /forum/post/0

I've been researching this Receiver for a few days, sounds like a good deal to try out this new HD Radio plus it can play MP3s which my current one can't.

One question I have, does it have RDS info built in,, "Radio data service" I think thats what it means. You know where infomation about the radio station, current song title and artist will show up on the screen.

I like that feature, Its a must have for me

Thanks

Yes that feature is available on the receiver.

#13 ·
JAG69-

I don't think the JVC displays RDS information; it is not in the manual and mine sure does not display it.

Just to keep things clear, RDS is a data add-on to analog FM radio stations, that has been around (though not common) for as much as ten years or more. Many GM factory car stereos display it. RDS should not be confused with the data displays included on HD Radio signals (which the JVC certainly does display).

#14 ·
OK- thanks Chris for clearing that up about RDS being different from digital signals, It definitely makes sense.

Off the subject Chris,, Your name "ChrisW6ATV" is that a ham call W6ATV??? mine is KF4BSX

#19 ·
Some in-home HD radios like the Accurian and Sangean are reportedly able to decode AM Stereo (the C-Quam type). Has anyone been able to test this JVC on an AM Stereo station to see if it decodes it? Not that there are many C-Quam stations left, but I'm just curious.

#20 ·
If I can ask you owners about the JVC display...how does it do in bright sunlight? I've got one of those Pioneer OEL displays in a 2001 Honda Accord. The face of the radio is slightly tilted up from level and completely washes out in bright sunlight. Any thoughts as to how the JVC would do in a similar circumstance?

thanks!

#21 ·
In terms of the am stereo I haven't received anything showing me that it comes in but one of the the am stereo stations is a hd one to start...I'm a bit far I think from the other stations....

In terms of the display it works pretty well in sunlight...it's the opposite of what I'm used to from my stock one (it's a colored background against non colored text in the sunlight...)...I haven't really used the remote I don't see a point if I'm the one driving the car....but if someone wanted to fool around with it while driving that would probably be far less distracting then if they used the entire console itself.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7BFD /forum/post/0

Anyhow, I went to the hardware store and bought some parts to build JUHA (Jim's Ultimate HD Antenna) and now all is good. I have all 3 HD channels for that station running without any problems.

Can someone direct me to the schematics & info regarding this homebuilt antenna? Would it work with receiving HDTV signals, also? Thanks. Oh yeah - I'm thinking about buying this unit, too =] Does anyone know of a website that lists all of the HD-Radio available by market? If my local NPR has HD-Radio and multicast (is that what it's called?), I will probably buy one asap. Thanks everyone

last thing - Someone was asking about this unit having RDS - According to crutchfield, it doesn't support RDS.

#24 ·
I just bought this radio last night. I'm having some issues with HD reception.

First off, local station 102.7 is supposed to broadcast 2 HD channels. The radio won't pick up either. Picks up the analog station just fine.

2 stations, 104.7 FM and 700 AM I had tuned in and received the HD signal. I went back a few hours later and tuned them in, and NO HD channels came in. I tried resetting the unit, no dice. Still cant get the HD reception back.

is there something wrong with the radio?

#26 ·
There's plenty of things that can effect performance...I can get stations from RI no problem...I actually get more HD am ones from there than my own state. However like anything else sometimes there can be problems either due to the atmosphere or with the station itself. There's one that has a comedy substation and it didn't air it...so I emailed and they said they had a problem...they fixed it and now it's not in hd at all.....meanwhile a new sub one popped up and one is sort of jammed (I think it's a software problem on their end)

There's a college hd station which I find to be pretty interesting especially that it was just a 1200 watt station last year! The range they admit for analog is 25 miles...I can get them at home but not always at work...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.