Atlanta HD stations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 12-19-2006, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Based on 5 days of monitoring in Gwinnett County using Sangean tuner:
90.1 WABE-1,2,3
92.9 WZGC
94.1 WSTR-1,2,3
94.9 WUBL-1,2
95.5 WBTS-1,2
96.1 WKLS-1,2
97.1 WSRV-1,2
98.5 WSB-1,2
99.7 WNNX-1,2
100.5 WWWQ
101.5 WKHX-1,2
103.3 WVEE-1,2
104.1 WALR-1,2
105.7 WWVA-1,2
106.7 WYAY-1,2
107.5 WJZZ
107.9 WHTA

Contrary to Ibiquity's list, I receive no AM stations in HD (listening during daylight hours, of course). WCLK, 91.9, is not broadcasting in HD. WZGC, 92.9, is not putting out an HD-2 signal. WBZY, 105.3, is not in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-20-2006, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, they talked about that in Radio World. Ibiquity has stopped listening which stations are actually using HD, only the ones that are licensed, and either have or are purchasing the equipment.

Lots of 50kw stations still have Kahn AM Stereo exciters in their racks. From those figures, Kahn could still claim pretty good success! However, NONE are using them! The FCC mandated that Motorola's C-Quam was the AM stereo "winner". I wonder what was second prize?
post #3 of 25 Old 12-20-2006, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

The good news is that WABE is already broadcasting three streams and sounding fine. This NPR station is licensed to the Atlanta Board of Education and totally listener-supported. Their HD-1 program is a simulcast of their analogue program, and the shift to HD is seamless. HD-2 is classical music, and HD-3 is syndicated news and opinion programming (BBC?). Many of their programs are locally produced, which is more than Clear Channel can claim these days. Kudos to WABE. Ibiquity's list does not yet acknowledge their HD-2 and HD-3 signals.
post #4 of 25 Old 12-23-2006, 07:39 AM
Zyg

I connected an old Radio Shack small tuned loop antenna to my Accur:an receiver and was able to get the WAEC and the WWWE callsigns to show up on the receiver screen. However the HD icon did not show, so perhaps my location at about 22 miles from the transmitters is too far for the small loop.

The call letters only appear after about 10:30 AM and disappear after about 2:00 PM as the ionosphere brings in co-channel signals for a longer period of time due to the short days at this time of the year.

The Radio Shack Accur:an passed my selectivity test, using the small tuned loop, by receiving analog CHWO Toronto 740kHz (702 miles away) in the evening hours at my Roswell location which is 16 miles away from the adjacent channel WSB 750kHz transmitter site.

-Zyg-
post #5 of 25 Old 12-23-2006, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Anyone down around Macon, doing HD Radio yet?

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #6 of 25 Old 12-23-2006, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Zyg, I can get WAEC and WWWE, the two Beasley AM stations listed as having HD licenses, but never in HD. I must say I'm disappointed with the AM reception of the Sangean tuner, even after adding a long wire antenna. Only a few local powerhouse stations come through strong enough to be listenable. I can barely pick up WFOM (1230, sports talk), WPBC (1310, Korean?), WALR (1340, Spanish), WAOK (1380, news/talk), WYZE (1480, Gospel), and WAOS (1600, "La Favorita). You must have caught a lucky skip across the river there, because I think DXing is out of the question with this tuner.

My previously reported inability to pick up WCLK (91.9) was purely due to antenna location. Using the supplied twinlead dipole or a Terk indoor gadget, that station comes in strong, although not in HD.
post #7 of 25 Old 12-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Zyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picspop View Post

You must have caught a lucky skip across the river there, because I think DXing is out of the question with this tuner.

I wouldn't buy the Accur:an for DXing (I have a Drake R8B to do that) but I did buy it to experience the IBOC digital transmissions. I have received the Toronto 740 signals every evening on the Accur:an since I purchased it a few weeks ago.

When you used the long wire did you have a good ground? The long wire may bring in all the local noise and may also overload the radio thereby causing more problems.

If you can find or build a tuned loop antenna try it with the radio.

-Zyg-
post #8 of 25 Old 12-25-2006, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Zyg, I take back what I said about no DX with the Sangean tuner. Last night I pulled in WHO (1040) from Des Moines.
post #9 of 25 Old 01-06-2007, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

WSTR (94.1) seems to have quit multicasting. WBTS (95.5) is playing dead air on its HD-2 stream. WKHX (101.5) is using its HD-2 stream to simulcast its HD-1 program with about a 3 sec. delay. What a waste of bandwidth.
post #10 of 25 Old 01-06-2007, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

I previously reported not receiving WBZY in HD. Tonight, WBZY (105.3), "El Patron" is coming in strong with both HD-1 and HD-2 programs. Don't know if I changed antenna orientation or if they made some change at the station.
post #11 of 25 Old 01-08-2007, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

I got a reply to my inquiry from WCLK. They are broadcasting HD, but my Sangean HDT-1 doesn't detect it, about 15 miles from their transmitter, right at the 60dBu contour. WBTS fixed whatever was wrong with their HD-2 signal and resumed modulating. WSTR (94.1) is not multicasting at present and didn't respond to my inquiry.
post #12 of 25 Old 01-17-2007, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

WKHX (101.5) HD-2, "The Wolf", is playing dead air. Nobody at the station answers the phone, and e-mail to the address posted on their website just bounces. This is an ABC Radio station, and I guess ABC can't afford to keep the station staffed or buy them an HD radio to monitor their signal.
post #13 of 25 Old 02-13-2007, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

I am informed that Star94 will resume broadcasting in HD as soon as they repair their HD exciter.
post #14 of 25 Old 02-14-2007, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

WZGC (92.9) and WKHX (101.5) have resumed modulating programs on their HD-2 channels.
post #15 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
How about the content? What are they playing. I recently gave up my XM sub due to the poor sound quality. I miss Cross Country, XM 12.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #16 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Z-93 HD-2 format is "deep classic hits," whatever that means. I recognized a couple of Simon & Garfunkel tracks, but most of what they were playing last night was nothing I recognized. WKHX HD-2 is country/southern rock, sort of a Dixie slant on their pop country format on HD-1. You might say that on HD-1 she left me in a taxi, and on HD-2 she left in her pickup truck. Same three chords.
post #17 of 25 Old 02-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Zyg

I've been enjoying the jazz on WCLK-FM at my location west of Roswell (it is outside the 60dBu contour) but not receiving the HD signal.

My receive antenna is feeding three tv's and two FM receivers and that configuration does attenuate the received signal.

I notice that the WCLK signal strength does vary (and the strength is stronger away from the main beam when I rotate the antenna) which suggests reflections and multipath as the main problem. Furthermore, according to the FCC data, their antenna tower is only 61 meters tall (which is about 200ft) and being relatively short is no help in the propagation path.
post #18 of 25 Old 03-25-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Today, 3/25/08, WREK 91.1 started broadcasting in HD. Not multicasting yet, but planning that for the fall. I still can't get WCLK in HD, but they are trying to raise funds to move to a taller stick. After the flip from country to oldies, WYAY 106.7 is in HD again, after a brief interruption, but the HD-2 signal is unmodulated.
post #19 of 25 Old 03-31-2008, 01:39 PM

For those complaining about the HD-AM reception, remember that the digital power in the hybrid mode is far, far less than what it would be in full digital mode. In full digital mode the digital power is 15dB (that is 32 times) stronger. The testing conducted in 2004 shows that in all digital mode, coverage would then exceed the analog coverage. This is pretty amazing. Stereo audio at 15kHz up to 250 miles from a 50kW AM transmitter. When the market share of HD radios reaches a certain threshold I would imagine that some AM station owners would seriously consider converting over to full digital.
post #20 of 25 Old 03-31-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey HH ... Do you know if AM full digital mode would entail an increase in available bitrate? And if so, to what?

I see no chance in Hades of it ever becoming economically feasible, but I was just wondering anyway.
post #21 of 25 Old 03-31-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

WSB-AM was one of the first stations to experiment with HD, but they turned it off a couple of years ago. Now, a couple of gospel stations in the south metro area are the only AM stations listed as being in HD, and I'm too far from them to pick them up even in analog. The controversy over interference makes it unlikely they will ever approve an increase in digital power on the AM band, even if the majority of listeners had HD receivers. Some industry critics want digital broadcasting on medium wave moved to another frequency band altogether.
post #22 of 25 Old 05-02-2008, 08:16 AM

I connected an old Radio Shack small tuned loop antenna to my Accur:an receiver and was able to get the WAEC and the WWWE callsigns to show up on the receiver screen. However the HD icon did not show, so perhaps my location at about 22 miles from the transmitters is too far for the small loop.

The call letters only appear after about 10:30 AM and disappear after about 2:00 PM as the ionosphere brings in co-channel signals for a longer period of time due to the short days at this time of the year.

The Radio Shack Accur:an passed my selectivity test, using the small tuned loop, by receiving analog CHWO Toronto 740kHz (702 miles away) in the evening hours at my Roswell location which is 16 miles away from the adjacent channel WSB 750kHz transmitter site.

-Zyg-
post #23 of 25 Old 01-06-2016, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
1-6-2016
A SAD Day for HD Radio.

Look at the list above. According to my HD radio list we have as of this date.

2 Stations. 88.5 and 90.1. Both NPR type stations.
Has it been 10 Years?

I did a scan of most of the nation and pretty much EVERY city is like this.

MarkB
post #24 of 25 Old 01-07-2016, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Are you talking about the list at the very top of the page from 12-19-2006?

If you look here:
http://hdradio.com/stations

It looks either the same or slightly better.

More telling, I think, is how the stations seem to have all given up telling anyone about HDRadio on their websites. Go to a random radio station's website and look for HDRadio. There used to be a mention of it, maybe 7-10 years back, at the top in the banner area and 5+ years back it seemed to move to the bottom as an annotation.. Like in the "About us / Contact us" section. I think that over the last 5 or so years that they just gave up on telling anyone about it.

The average person on the street still doesn't know what HDRadio is. Your average best answer is, "Isn't that satellite?"

The odd thing is that they know what satellite radio is.

Add to this that HDRadio still isn't all that prominent in cars - at least from when I rent them. I think I've had one car with HDRadio. I've had plenty with satellite radio.

I gave up on HDRadio, at least in my vehicle, back in 2008. It was crappy then and, oddly, you got better receptions outside the perimeter in Atlanta than inside. Inside it'd cut in and out (analog to digital and back) and was quite annoying. I've heard that they've bumped up the power since then so maybe that corrected it.

On top of that, if you want clear, uninterrupted audio from your favorite radio station it's easier to just stream it to your car stereo. I've had plenty of rental cars with bluetooth and over the last few years they even would get the data along with the audio so you'd see things like station, artist, song title, etc. Very cool.

By 2010 HDRadio should have been standard in every radio. If you bought an odd clock radio from Walmart it should have had the HDRadio bit in it. If you bought a new car, even with the base stereo, it should have had HDRadio. It should be as ubiquitous as AM/FM. If someone were to hand you any random radio you'd expect AM/FM to be there. By now, if HDRadio were successful, you ought to have the same expectation for HDRadio being built-in.

I think it was all poorly managed and missed the boat.

Some stations have dropped HDRadio. 95.5 (WSB Talk) used to be The Beat and had the sub channels.. When they went with just being talk they actually made a decision to drop it and I don't think it hurt them.

The odd thing is that HDRadio worked really well in the home. I have a receiver and a few tabletops with HDRadio and, because the antenna was stationary, it just worked great. Nice and clear. Again, you can just stream these stations now and send them to your receiver via bluetooth so it still calls into question the need for HDRadio in the home.. Aside from the fact that tabletop radios with HDRadio in them are really hard to come by, now, and, if you do a search on something like Crutchfield, you'll find that HDRadio is only included in the really high-end receivers ($1000+).

Some of the aftermarket radios for cars come with HDRadio but, again, you have to specifically look for it. It's not just automatically there.

It kind of sucks because I liked the idea of HDRadio but the management of it and implementation of it has just sucked the entire time.
post #25 of 25 Old 01-12-2016, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Today
98.5 HD II Easy listening type station is Back!!

It is still not listed Here:

http://hdradio.com/station_guides/widget.php?id=76

A couple of weeks ago. Most were gone. Now most are now back up including 98.5 HD2.
On the Address line for HDRadio. The #76 at the end is for Atlanta. Put in 75 that is for Lansing,Mi.The numbers run up to 100.
I have 4 Insignia Radios in the house and a Pioneer HD in my car.
ALL pick up fine inside 285.
Markb

Last edited by MarkB49; 01-12-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD Radio