NY HD radio demo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-16-2007, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's an HD radio demo fromm NYC. It starts with WFAN in HD at 00 seconds, next at 00:26 is WADS, which is 72 miles away from my house and runs 3200 watts. It's third adjacent to WFAN and second Adjacent to WOR both of which are running their HD exciters and I am in a null of WADS. WOR follows next at 00:44 after which is WABC at 2:16. WCBS 880 is next at 3:03 into the file. We switch to FM for some demos, first WNYC HD 1, 2 & 3 at 4:01, 4:27 & 514 respectively. Then we listen to WPLJ HD 1, 2 & 3 at 5:47, 6:08 & 6:43. The next demo was recorded from a super radio placed approx 2 feet from my HD radio. First we hear WRKL, 1 KW and 3rd adjacent to WCBS. It starts at 7:25, next is WCBS at 7:31 then WABC at 7:42 and WNYH at 7:43 which is 740 located about 50 miles from me and between two HD stations at 7:10 and 740 KHz. Then WOR at 8:05 and lastly WFAN at 8:29. Notice no IBOC interference as so many have alluded to. We go back to the Sangean for WAWZ which is 60 miles from me at 9:30 into the file. Next is WHCR at 10:11 which was a bit noisy this morning at 90.3 MHz. They run 8 watts and are 25 miles south of me. Followed at 10:55 by a WKTU HD 2 ID and finally at 11:11 is WKXW in Trenton which is 90 miles south of my location. I posted the file in WMA format at 128 Kbps. Hope this gives some insight into what HD sounds like and what the Sangean tuner can do in the NY metro area.

Note that this file contains not only HD radio audio but some distant FM radio signals. Also the effects of HD on analogue radio for those who say you can't tune out the IBOC sideband noise and one low power AM station (of which I'm in the null of) between two local AM IBOCs. Find the URL next to the reason for editing. Otherwise the site won't allow me to post the URL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-16-2007, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Wow... stereo HD DOES sound pretty darn good. (aka, AM Stereo= PWND)!!

Note to Mike Walker: For whatever reason, the HD on this sample sounds more smooth and enjoyable than the samples taken with the Accurian. So... yea, I can still hear the compression, but it's a lot less irritating.

Also, Click here for the file.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-19-2007, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Of course you're comparing apples and oranges...different stations, as well as different tuners. But I shouldn't be surprised that a component tuner sounds better than a table radio. It ought to! (I suspect the Accurian and Sangean are closer "soulmates" than you might imagine, however...their displays and remotes are EXACTLY the same...which suggests many common "innards" (how's that for a southern word?)
post #4 of 7 Old 03-19-2007, 01:56 PM

Could someone post the AM-HD samples as an attachment. At work the file sharing sites are blocked out. I guess this might be a problem for others too.

I am also curious to the sound of AM HD. I love the FM sound of HD and have heard all of the negativity from people I suspect don't own a HD radio or tuner and are jumping on the "down with the new technology bandwagon".
post #5 of 7 Old 03-22-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmdxer333 View Post

Could someone post the AM-HD samples as an attachment. At work the file sharing sites are blocked out. I guess this might be a problem for others too.

I am also curious to the sound of AM HD. I love the FM sound of HD and have heard all of the negativity from people I suspect don't own a HD radio or tuner and are jumping on the "down with the new technology bandwagon".

Well, as a manufacturer of one of the HD Radios mentioned in this post I felt compelled to answer.

I have been VERY impressed with AM HD and was excited when I heard the FCC has now given permission for AM stations to broadcast HD all day.

As for the "HD Haters" I have noticed that most of them, not all of them and certainly not most on this board, look only at numbers and are commonly not interested in hearing the counterarguments, let alone the listening to them.

There was one on this site that would not look at the audio evidence and kept refering back to the numers. I have heard CD quality audio 128Kb/s compressed to 36 Kb/s and could not tell a difference! With the proper codec, even the most compressed signal can sound the best, but the argument falls on not only deaf ears but ignorant ones.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-22-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Theseus View Post

Well, as a manufacturer of one of the HD Radios mentioned in this post I felt compelled to answer.

I have been VERY impressed with AM HD and was excited when I heard the FCC has now given permission for AM stations to broadcast HD all day.

As for the "HD Haters" I have noticed that most of them, not all of them and certainly not most on this board, look only at numbers and are commonly not interested in hearing the counterarguments, let alone the listening to them.

There was one on this site that would not look at the audio evidence and kept refering back to the numers. I have heard CD quality audio 128Kb/s compressed to 36 Kb/s and could not tell a difference! With the proper codec, even the most compressed signal can sound the best, but the argument falls on not only deaf ears but ignorant ones.

I have the Boston Acoustics HD Receptor (a good one by the way) as my bedside radio and the Sangean HDT-1. The Sangean is an amazing piece of equipment. I can hear stations with this radio which aren't audible on any other radio I own. I have a Sansui TU 717 tuner and it's an OK tuner but it can't receive the stations that Sangean can. The AM HD quality surprised me. I find that listening to AM HD through my stereo (Macintosh MA-6100 and Infiinity Reference standard 2 speakers) you can hear the artifacts due to the level of compression and bit rate. I recorded the samples on a Tascam DA-40 dat machine and transfered the dat recording to my hard drive via a Tascam DA -P1 dat machine, which is connected to my computers audio card (a Soundblaster Audigy). and the demo through my computer speakers (with sub woofer) sounded great. FM is another story. A well engineered HD 1 or HD 2 stream sound better then the analog partially because of the 15 Khz cap on the analog FM transmission.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F. Burns View Post

I have the Boston Acoustics HD Receptor (a good one by the way) as my bedside radio and the Sangean HDT-1. The Sangean is an amazing piece of equipment. I can hear stations with this radio which aren't audible on any other radio I own. I have a Sansui TU 717 tuner and it's an OK tuner but it can't receive the stations that Sangean can. The AM HD quality surprised me. I find that listening to AM HD through my stereo (Macintosh MA-6100 and Infiinity Reference standard 2 speakers) you can hear the artifacts due to the level of compression and bit rate. I recorded the samples on a Tascam DA-40 dat machine and transfered the dat recording to my hard drive via a Tascam DA -P1 dat machine, which is connected to my computers audio card (a Soundblaster Audigy). and the demo through my computer speakers (with sub woofer) sounded great. FM is another story. A well engineered HD 1 or HD 2 stream sound better then the analog partially because of the 15 Khz cap on the analog FM transmission.

What I have found is that the audio quality is completely dependant on the station itself. I have about 20 HD stations here and 2 of them are full 96Kb/s and sound wonderful, and others vary in quality dramatically from station to station.

I can say however that I was blown away with the sound of HD AM! I am not an AM listener, but AM HD I could get used to. . .obviously not when you compare it to a proper FM HD signal, but still, a great sound all around.

Keep up the support of HD Radio though. . .It is a great technology that will breath a much needed life back into radio and help keep America on the path to more free programing and less attempts by the market to sell us subscriptions.
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page