Sangean HDT-1 used as standard for testing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-02-2007, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We all know that the affordable Sangean HDT-1 component tuner is a great tuner with unbelievable sensitivity and selectivity. It is also recognized in the industry as a reference tuner.

http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0049/t.4029.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-03-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmdxer333 View Post

We all know that the affordable Sangean HDT-1 component tuner is a great tuner with unbelievable sensitivity and selectivity. It is also recognized in the industry as a reference tuner.

http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0049/t.4029.html

We certainly appreciate the call out. At the CES we already had the Conditional Access testing there.

I especialy like how they say the " Sangean HD Radio tuners are being used because they are close to the iBiquity reference design."

That should tell you that the HDT-1 especially is what HD Radio is supposed to be. They are using the HDT-1 as a reference to all other in the future. (Maybe I am embelishing a little, but do you blame me?)

I love my HDT-1 and my HDT-1X. And will likely love the HDT-2. . If ever. .
post #3 of 11 Old 04-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wonder how the Sangean HDR-1 performance compares to the HDT-1?

I see New Egg has an open box special

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16882720001R
post #4 of 11 Old 04-03-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

I wonder how the Sangean HDR-1 performance compares to the HDT-1?

I see New Egg has an open box special

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16882720001R

Well, I have both the HDR-1 and the HDT-1 and the HDT-1X and have tested them extensively to compare to eachother.

What I have found is that when I use a dipole antenna instead of the whip included with the HDR-1 that I pick up about as many as I can with the HDT-1 and HDT-1X. From what my factory people tell me is "Yeah, the dipole is about 2 or 3bd better."

That seems pretty consistant with my measurements as I was going up and down the dial and noticed that exact measurement.

So when compared to sensitivity and selectivity I would have to say that under similar conditions it should perform equally well.

Where they are different is in audio quality. The HDT-1 and HDR-1 are stunning when pumped through a 110W/Channel 8 Ohm Sony receiver and is not completely fair to compare that to the 5W + 5W sound from the HDR-1.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-04-2007, 04:26 PM

When they say "close," I wonder what isn't "exact." Just curious, not a complaint. I love my tuner.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-04-2007, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Me, too.

Mater- could you convince some of the more technical people at Sangean to join the board?
post #7 of 11 Old 04-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

I second Matt's motion. Nothing would be better (for us...radio nerds interested in HD, and for them as well I suspect) than establishing a dialog between those who create, and those who use the technology. I've gotta' tell you, Master Thesus' posts are among my favorite reasons for returning here!
post #8 of 11 Old 04-06-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Walker View Post

I second Matt's motion. Nothing would be better (for us...radio nerds interested in HD, and for them as well I suspect) than establishing a dialog between those who create, and those who use the technology. I've gotta' tell you, Master Thesus' posts are among my favorite reasons for returning here!

Well, I have tried, and even worked to get the engineeres to go to the party at CES, but their english is about as good as my technical knowledge.

They are aware of this forum and do view it, but I find myself constantly translating what you put into terms they can understand. For now, that is what we have to work with.

As for how different from reference, from my understanding the reference has changed dramatically on the last few months. I can't discuss how or why, but it has changed.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Will the changes result in better reception? Can you tell us that much, Master?
post #10 of 11 Old 04-06-2007, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Master Theseus,

Tell them I want a portable !
post #11 of 11 Old 04-06-2007, 04:27 PM

From my understanding the FCC's power limit is what is keeping reception from being the best that it can be.

I am not positive, but I would wager that all things considered that the receptions should actually be the same on all models of HD Radio under the same conditions (i.e. same antenna, placement, and such.)

In response to fmdxer333, a portable, at this moment, is not feasable. The HD Radio module and DSP require too much power and therefore prevent it from being powered for a reasonable amount of time using current batteries. I am again, not sure how much I am allowed to divulge about the technology, but I understand that iBiquity and other companies are working on it and expect to have the module in a portable form in about 18 months. We already have a product designed waiting for this to happen and will hopefully be the first to product a portable HD Radio.
Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page