HD Radio Isn't High Definition! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 277 Old 06-22-2007, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I always thought I could fry my amp so I always made sure to hook it up right.. And if I didn't the 2 speakers I did hook up sounded like crap when I feed it some bass...

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 277 Old 06-23-2007, 06:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighmike View Post

2510 out of 5000, 2490 out of 5000. Both are 50% - 50.2% and 49.8%. Anyone who writes a book claiming that 2510 out 5000 represents "over 50%" has a credibility problem AFAIC.

Some folks got it right because they knew how to do it. You seem to keep forgetting that point. After you subtract these folks from the 100% population, you have 50/50 split of the remaining folks getting it right or wrong, purely by chance. The 50% who get it right purely by chance added to the folks who got it right because they knew how do it MUST be greater than 50%. Those who purely by chance got it wrong MUST be less that 50% because they comprise only 50% of a population reduced by the % who got it right not by chance.

As I said in my last post, you need to read up on statistical sampling.

Thank you for explaining your methodology. It is a 50-50 chance that the general population will get the hook-up right or wrong. If you remove those who would get it right then the remaining population is skewed towards more getting it wrong than right. If you remove those who would get it wrong than the remaining population is skewed towards more getting it right than wrong. I will not agree with you that it is impossible for over 50% of people to have a reverse hook-up and you will not agree with me. This being the case we can only agree that we will disagree. One small point--2510 out of 5000 is over 50% and for that matter so is 2501. You have referred me to statistics several times but you should have referred me to probability which is the foundation of statitics.
Richard
post #273 of 277 Old 06-23-2007, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

It is a 50-50 chance that the general population will get the hook-up right or wrong.

Absolutely true for those who don't know which way is the right way. There is a segment of the population that knew the right way. They are excluded from the remaining population that get the "hook-up right or wrong", as you put it. This is the population, or sub-population if you will, that is left up to the fate of probability to get it right or wrong, of which there is a 50/50 chance that they will get it right (or wrong). There is no probability variant for those who knew how to do the hook-up correctly and they must be excluded from the application of the 50/50 probability.

Quote:

You have referred me to statistics several times but you should have referred me to probability which is the foundation of statitics.

When I referred you to reading up on statistics, it was inferred by me, which you have acknowledged, that probability plays a significant role in this issue. However, statistics involves more than just probability. Statistics are used, for example, to explain the components of a set of facts not based on any predictions, such as the % racial makeup of the US population in 1950, in 2000, and how it changed.

I'm done.
post #274 of 277 Old 06-24-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighmike View Post

Absolutely true for those who don't know which way is the right way. There is a segment of the population that knew the right way. They are excluded from the remaining population that get the "hook-up right or wrong", as you put it. This is the population, or sub-population if you will, that is left up to the fate of probability to get it right or wrong, of which there is a 50/50 chance that they will get it right (or wrong). There is no probability variant for those who knew how to do the hook-up correctly and they must be excluded from the application of the 50/50 probability.

When I referred you to reading up on statistics, it was inferred by me, which you have acknowledged, that probability plays a significant role in this issue. However, statistics involves more than just probability. Statistics are used, for example, to explain the components of a set of facts not based on any predictions, such as the % racial makeup of the US population in 1950, in 2000, and how it changed.

I'm done.

I thought we were done but I realized that I never elucidated why your methology violates the laws of probability. For your sample unit to be valid it must be pure and it is not. Your sample group are people who know how to hook up correctly and involves the following type of people:
1-know how to hook up.
2-Think they know how to hook up.
3-Say they know how to hook up but don't.
In each of these three catagories, hook-ups will be wrong. For the hook-ups to be correct the outputs of all the components must be correct as well as the speaker connectors-if not the speakers will be in reverse.(Even those who know get it wrong) The components(not in all systems) include source components, preamps, power amps, and receivers. Since your sample unit is not pure all results are invalidated by the laws of probability. You have no choice but to keep the people as a unit and not try to separate them into impure units. This being the case, there can be over 50% reversal hook-ups.
Richard
post #275 of 277 Old 06-24-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I said I was done.
post #276 of 277 Old 06-24-2007, 10:58 AM

If I were you I would also take the position I was done.
Richard
post #277 of 277 Old 06-24-2007, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I know I'M done. I'll send a cookie to the first one of you two kids who DOESN'T respond to the other.
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page