First HD3 station in Portland - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-19-2007, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Our most popular public radio station added an HD3 channel. As you would expect it's mono, barely audible and very crunchy. It sounds like a "reading for the blind" channel. They're reading a book about the Alaska gold rush.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
GREAT programming, huh? That'll move some radios!
post #3 of 11 Old 04-19-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Our most popular public radio station added an HD3 channel. As you would expect it's mono, barely audible and very crunchy. It sounds like a "reading for the blind" channel. They're reading a book about the Alaska gold rush.

Sounds as though they are still working on setting up their HD install. Have you called the station to tell them you are listening and that the audio is poor? I'm in NYC and WNYC is a retransmission of WNYC AM. It of course is mono but it sounds great on my B.A. HD Receptor.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-19-2007, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Some other folks called them and they cranked the volume up. It's slightly better than AM radio quality now minus the noise, hum, and random crunching sounds. Some of the sibilant sounds have an unnatural crunching sound (I'm sure there's a technical term for this; it's an explosive sound similar to clipping). It sounds best at a low volume.

Essentially HD3 gives an FM station a free mono AM quality station. That's not a bad deal at all!

Now they're reading newspaper articles in the "reading for the blind" fashion, including the punctuation like "close quote" and "close paren".

post #5 of 11 Old 04-19-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Some other folks called them and they cranked the volume up. It's slightly better than AM radio quality now minus the noise, hum, and random crunching sounds. Some of the sibilant sounds have an unnatural crunching sound (I'm sure there's a technical term for this; it's an explosive sound similar to clipping). It sounds best at a low volume.

Essentially HD3 gives an FM station a free mono AM quality station. That's not a bad deal at all!

Now they're reading newspaper articles in the "reading for the blind" fashion, including the punctuation like "close quote" and "close paren".

I was at a meeting during CES with NPR Labs, IBiquity, and disabled persons organizations and there is a huge initiative and large amounts of federal grants to bring reading services to these mulitcast channels. It is an attempt to reach the some 35 million hearing and vision impared persons in the US.

They are also looking to make ALL radios and electronics more disabled accessbale and usable. I for one agree and as a manufacturer am pushing for this as well.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-19-2007, 04:26 PM

The public radio station in Atlanta carries NPR news programs on HD-3. Lately I have noticed a sort of burbling distortion in the voices that wasn't apparent during the first few months of their multicasting. It doesn't interfere with intelligibility, and remains more clearly audible than any AM station in town. Perhaps they reduced the bitrate on HD-3 to allocate more bandwidth to HD-2, where they play classical music 24/7. If so, it's a tradeoff that I would endorse.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-19-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picspop View Post

The public radio station in Atlanta carries NPR news programs on HD-3. Lately I have noticed a sort of burbling distortion in the voices that wasn't apparent during the first few months of their multicasting. It doesn't interfere with intelligibility, and remains more clearly audible than any AM station in town. Perhaps they reduced the bitrate on HD-3 to allocate more bandwidth to HD-2, where they play classical music 24/7. If so, it's a tradeoff that I would endorse.

From my recollection they were allocating 48Kb HD-1, 36Kb HD-2, and 12Kb for HD-3. I could be wrong, so if I am correct me. We like NPR and NPR likes us. . . Don't want to upset anyone.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-19-2007, 04:45 PM

I wasn't complaining. It's still my favorite station. Just an observation that I have been noticing in the past week or two. By the way, the effect is noticed on both the Sangean tuner and the Radiosophy radio (using both speakers and headphones). So it's not specific to your product, Master T.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picspop View Post

I wasn't complaining. It's still my favorite station. Just an observation that I have been noticing in the past week or two. By the way, the effect is noticed on both the Sangean tuner and the Radiosophy radio (using both speakers and headphones). So it's not specific to your product, Master T.

I don't care. .. You could say that it was only in my HDT-1 and I still wouldn't believe you.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-19-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Theseus View Post

I was at a meeting during CES with NPR Labs, IBiquity, and disabled persons organizations and there is a huge initiative and large amounts of federal grants to bring reading services to these mulitcast channels. It is an attempt to reach the some 35 million hearing and vision impared persons in the US.

They are also looking to make ALL radios and electronics more disabled accessbale and usable. I for one agree and as a manufacturer am pushing for this as well.

The NPR station here in the Phoenix area has been running a similar reading service on an FM subcarrier for years now. A couple months ago, they started their HD upgrade, and after e-mailing them, the GM told me that they were going to move that service to an HD3 subchannel once they went on the air with HD. At the time they were still contemplating what to put on the HD2.

Two months later, their HD is not on the air yet. I don't know what their holdup is.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-23-2007, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It sounds like this station has yanked 16 Kbps out of their HD2 channel for their HD3 channel. Fortunately I never liked their HD2 channel. Now it sounds a lot like an AM HD station.

Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page