I got a question... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-29-2007, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to be able to get a clean signal from Victoria, which is due south. I also would like to get HD signals from Houston which is 84 miles out East north East... (This would be for my secound home) What I have now is a Radioshack tri-drive antenna that is 20 feet up in the air. I have it right now going to Victoria right now but they do not have any HD signals. I also have a TV antenna on another pole about 20 or so feet up going to San antonio. But, I dont want to put up any more antennas. I would like to have a good decent indoor antenna for Victoria stations, what antenna would anyone recommend? My biggest problem is that house has a metal roof, I know it will be hard for signals to get through, but I know they can if I have the right antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-30-2007, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Actually that roof will attenuate signals quite a bit REGARDLESS of your antenna! I have a shingle roof, and get HD reception to 100 miles with a Magnum Dynalab SR100 "Silver Ribbon", available from Audio Advisor. It's 30 bucks. Your mileage may vary (and with your roof, probably will).
post #3 of 6 Old 05-30-2007, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

However good the Silver Ribbon is, it's not going to beat a real outdoor antenna.

How far is the FM antenna above the roof? It needs to be like 10 ft or more with a metal roof.

http://rochestermnhd.blogspot.com/ - Tech 55901. Tech news for Rochester. Authored by mattdp and gjvrieze.
http://tvfmantennas.a.wiki-site.com/index.php/Hardware
post #4 of 6 Old 05-30-2007, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp View Post

However good the Silver Ribbon is, it's not going to beat a real outdoor antenna.

How far is the FM antenna above the roof? It needs to be like 10 ft or more with a metal roof.

Both of my antennas are at least 15 feet away on 2 seperate poles. the roof doesnt effect either one of the outdoor antennas. I wish Victoria was stronger stations they only have 2 stations that come up to me that are local from where I am.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-30-2007, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Matt's absolutely right. I wouldn't even consider using an indoor antenna for distant reception with a metal roof. You've gotta' get up above that thing (imho).
post #6 of 6 Old 05-30-2007, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks just wish there was a easer way! I have some old equipment that goes about 40-50 feet up in the air. I'd like to get that over there and put my antennas on, that thing even has stairs that I can climb up on and work on the antennas.
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page