KMOX Radio 1120 St. Louis Going HD in evenings starting around July 1st! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-03-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

The 50,000 watt blowtorch in St. Louis...
KMOX Radio 1120 will be going 24 hours in HD starting approximately July 1st!

Received this email from Joseph Geerling of KMOX this evening...

"We will be going 24 hours in HD staring around July 1. The FCC is allowing AM stations to broacast 24 hours if they can meet the HD spec. KMOX does."

So looking forward to this...especially Don Wolff's Saturday Night Jazz Show from 8pm to 1am Central Time.

Just thought I'd pass this on! Should be many other AM stations broadcasting soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-04-2007, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

I hope I can dx 'em here in North Carolina.

WBT in Charlotte (50,000 watts on 1110) will apparently be our first HD "blowtorch".
post #3 of 11 Old 06-04-2007, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Man... I can't wait to see how far 830 WCCO travels in HD (DXers can pick it up from Texas and Nevada at night).

BTW, It's been a while since I did any AM DXing (too much buzz in the house), but I believe I got a pretty good signal on 1120 up here in Rochester, MN. (I also remember a Cleavland station coming in rock solid at night)

http://rochestermnhd.blogspot.com/ - Tech 55901. Tech news for Rochester. Authored by mattdp and gjvrieze.
http://tvfmantennas.a.wiki-site.com/index.php/Hardware
post #4 of 11 Old 06-04-2007, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

My guess is that some stations will be "dxable" in HD over great distances, but the droping back and forth from analog to digital will become tiresome for dxers. Give us an ANALOG LOCK NOW! Please!
post #5 of 11 Old 06-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Walker View Post

I hope I can dx 'em here in North Carolina.

WBT in Charlotte (50,000 watts on 1110) will apparently be our first HD "blowtorch".

WBT comes in clear as a bell after sundown here in D.C., so it will be interesting to see if I am able to pull in the HD signal here.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-07-2007, 07:03 PM

I've had KMOX ID less HD audio on my JVC just before sunrise here in Ohio (Akron area) a couple of times. I'm looking forward to seeing if my Accurian will recognize the Call letters at least in July I hope my WTAM (1100) gets with it as well

"Backwards compatibility": It saved your B/W TV until you got tired of it; "It" could save our Constitution until we get tired of FREEDOM as we've come to know it
post #7 of 11 Old 07-01-2007, 07:14 PM

Well it's July 1st and I haven't had a hint of a call-letter ID even on my Accurian. It's a little after 10PM as I write this and the skywave is pretty decent. I'll wait a few more days and see if anything changes here in Ohio. KMOX is roughly 485 miles southwest of me here in the Akron OH area. Any more local observations?

"Backwards compatibility": It saved your B/W TV until you got tired of it; "It" could save our Constitution until we get tired of FREEDOM as we've come to know it
post #8 of 11 Old 07-01-2007, 07:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by afw7962 View Post

Well it's July 1st and I haven't had a hint of a call-letter ID even on my Accurian. It's a little after 10PM as I write this and the skywave is pretty decent. I'll wait a few more days and see if anything changes here in Ohio. KMOX is roughly 485 miles southwest of me here in the Akron OH area. Any more local observations?

Well it is around 10:43pm, July 1st 2007 here in NYC area and I don't receive any AM HD radio station still. So none of the AM HD stations are broadcasting 24 hours a day yet (as of today)... but it is a Sunday, so maybe no one is working today on it. We'll see if any start 24 hour HD broadcasting come later this week...

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
post #9 of 11 Old 07-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I did a band scan last night and while the clear channels were coming in better than usual, still no HD at night. At my location, I get very strong signals from both 1100 out of Cleveland and 1110 out of Charlotte, NC. It will be interesting to see how the IBOC affects reception when both stations are running it at night.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

My guess is that the first few nights AM HD is "up all night", most dxers will hear NOTHING DIFFERENT. Maybe a few will get station IDs. Then when word gets around, the complaints will start about "I-Buzz", whether anyone actually hears it or not. Since a station can be a "clear channel", but it's it's first adjacents not, I'm not sure whether we'll be getting very much DX from AM HD. We can always hope!
post #11 of 11 Old 07-05-2007, 08:16 AM

Anyone know if KMOX is now HD? I picked it up as HD a few weeks back for a brief period, but it stopped and has not been HD for about 2 weeks.
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page