Boombox tips? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-03-2007, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi - I have been searchong for a good HD boombox & I can't find squat. Would like it to have a good range remote control & hopefully no heavy transformer on the plug. Maybe a built in rechargable battery & naturally good sound too... Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Deca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-04-2007, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

There aren't any HD portables yet...the first batch of chips required too much power. Samsung's working on one, and there should be HD portable devices in a few months. Sangean says they'll try hard to release the first one.

I don't know about boomboxes, however. In case you haven't noticed, that's a format people don't really care for much anymore. Ipods and other mp3 players have largely displaced them. I'd look first for a Walkman-type HD radio.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-04-2007, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't know about boomboxes, however. In case you haven't noticed, that's a format people don't really care for much anymore. Ipods and other mp3 players have largely displaced them. I'd look first for a Walkman-type HD radio

Well - one reason it's so easy to dislike the AVS forums is self absorbed people like you Mike. I specifically asked for a boombox for a reason - walkmans are against regulations where I work. Stick to answering the question at hand. Goodbye, Deca
post #4 of 16 Old 06-04-2007, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

My, my, aren't we a little too sensitive, Deca? I think Mike gave you your answer in the paragraph you didn't quote!
post #5 of 16 Old 06-04-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighmike View Post

My, my, aren't we a little too sensitive, Deca? I think Mike gave you your answer in the paragraph you didn't quote!

He's also not putting Deca down. He's stating that a small portable is more likely than a boombox.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-04-2007, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

rwagoner wrote:
Quote:

He's also not putting Deca down. He's stating that a small portable is more likely than a boombox.

I agree. If folks have a negative attitude towards Avs Forum, why do they post looking for advice and/or information?
post #7 of 16 Old 06-05-2007, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

By the way, I LIKE BOOMBOXES! I just bought one with mp3 playback a couple of weeks ago. I've always considered them (boomboxes) handy. I wasn't passing judgement on them, or people who like them, because I'd be passing judgement on myself. But they're not as popular as they once were, so people LIKE ME who like them have much less in the way of variety to choose from. Because of this reduced popularity (people these days simply prefer all things Ipod...hard to dispute. And in case you're wondering, I DON'T HAVE AN IPOD! I think they're featureless and dull compared to other brands like Archos and Creative...so don't leap to another conclusion about me!)

I admit it...I can be an opinionated SOB. But in this case, what I offered was FACT, not opinion. Boomboxes are fading from the marketplace. How often do you see one on the street??? I don't think they'll ever go away completely, but at this stage I doubt seriously that manufacturers will rush to produce a boombox with built-in HD (and I hope I'm wrong!) A good boombox with an aux or line input, and a walkman-type HD radio plugged into it may be the best WE (boombox lovers) can hope for in the relatively short-term.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-05-2007, 07:02 AM

I also hope that someone again produces a "boombox" I remember back in the late 70s, when JVC, Pioneer and others produced some really nice sounding boxes with some pretty good radio's in them. They were handy, great for picnics or other outings. I used to use one for small gatherings.

Today they are short, fat, stubby, poor excuses for music boxes. Their sound is shallow. The speakers are too close together for proper stereo. I hope that someone puts together a nice thin boombox with good sounding speakers, and oh, HD radio.

Sangean, if you are listening? I like your current line of shortwave portables. But for nice sound you have to put HD in a big enough case for good stereo sound.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-05-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

You mean like an old ghetto blaster type with 8" woofers and the whole bit?

http://rochestermnhd.blogspot.com/ - Tech 55901. Tech news for Rochester. Authored by mattdp and gjvrieze.
http://tvfmantennas.a.wiki-site.com/index.php/Hardware
post #10 of 16 Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Walker View Post

In case you haven't noticed,...

Decapad probably thought this sounded condescending, like it was stupid of him to ask about something that most people aren't interested in any more.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-06-2007, 03:26 AM
Advanced Member

As for "stick to answering the question...." the fact that boomboxes are much less popular than they were a few years back goes a long way toward answering the question about whether there will be an HD boombox. If I were as rude as deca I would say "stick to using your brain...I DID ANSWER YOUR QUESTION!" The lack of popularity for a particular type of radio is certainly a strong indicator of how likely it is that they'll rush to introduce new technology to that (tiny) market segment. It's called LOGIC! "Stick to using yourbrain" and you might recognize logic when you see it.

Sorry, but you "axed" for that, Dude.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-06-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
OK you don't see how what you said could have possibly been interpreted as condescending because, after all, you did answer his question and you could have been much more rude to him since you thought his question was stupid.

I personally would have just answered his question even if I felt it was stupid, but that was just how I was raised to speak to people I don't know, even people with stupid questions which seems to be a large part of my job some days.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-06-2007, 09:41 AM

I've seen Boom, Boxes referred to by all sorts or names, but no one has used the term that I used to hear in their heyday...Third world attache cases.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-06-2007, 10:29 AM

Although they don't have stereo, our utility radios are a close brother to the boombox. . . But they are too very unpopular. People want a radio the size of a cell phone and they want it to sound like a home theater system.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

I've been considering one of your Utility Radios, Master. The only thing I wish they had was fm stereo to the headphone jack. In fact, I'd have bought one otherwise. Great sound, who cares if it's mono? You ain't gettin' stereo from a boombox with the speakers three inches apart! Better to have that good woofer and full-range sound. But when I plug in cans, gimme' stereo!
post #16 of 16 Old 06-10-2007, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 218
If you're handy, you could take Visteon's portables, mount the cradle on an old boom box, and hardwire it to the power supply. Kind of a Rube Goldberg fix, but one I've been thinking of doing, myself. Just make sure you have AC nearby. Digital radios eat batteries. Then, again, if you had AC handy, you'd just buy the Accurain.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page