Help me decide :) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-08-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help me decide here, I think I may want the Sangean HDT-1 Tuner, I want reviews on it though, I just cant really decide on if I really want it or not. I just want something that will have less drops than my Radioshack accurian does, it doesnt do to bad, but when it does its kind of anoying when it stays off for 5-10 secounds at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-08-2007, 08:57 PM

Here is a comparison that I posted on another board several months ago, just after the first non-Portland HD station was put on the air... KZEL Eugene, about 110 Miles distant.

I compared several HD units on my antenna (APS-9) tuned to KZEL from my location in Hillsboro. For different situations results may vary, but here is what I saw:

#1. Sangean HDT-1 tuner. Most sensitive, but #1 and #2 are quite close for my reception of HD from KZEL. I have seen RDS info from Seattle Stations (KING & KPLU) on this and the #2 Unit, but so far NO HD from Seattle.

#2. BA Receptor... this is a surprise, as many reviews say that the receptor is not very sensitive, but connected to an outside antenna it does well. Very close second for FM, AM not as good as HDT-1.

#3. Radio Shack Accurian. Fairly close, may have some HD dropouts while the above units are solid. When the signal drops to the point that the HDT-1 and BA are dropping out, the HD on the Accurian is gone. Better AM reception than the BA, no RDS.

#4. Sanyo HD1990M car radio (1st gen, no HD-2 reception). Fairly distant #4, will lock onto KZEL only on the best days.

I have also experimented with a Magnum dynalab 205 "FM Signal Sleuth" RF amplifier, and it does improve HD lock on all of the above units.
The HDT-1 has a readout of "carrier to noise ratio" (when locked onto a HD signal). Right now on KZEL I see 67dB with the amp on and 62dB with it off. Note...70dB is the best that I have seen on local stations.

jr
post #3 of 5 Old 07-09-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jras20 View Post

Help me decide here, I think I may want the Sangean HDT-1 Tuner, I want reviews on it though, I just cant really decide on if I really want it or not. I just want something that will have less drops than my Radioshack accurian does, it doesnt do to bad, but when it does its kind of anoying when it stays off for 5-10 secounds at a time.

There is an HDT-1 thread with over 30K views and several posts that should help you on your way. The HDT-1 is still today the best selling home solution for HD Radio. Hands down.

But I am biased. I will say however that the other companies do make great products so any opinion as to the performance of another companies products is merely said is relative gist and is more an observation of what I have been told in relation to their performance.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-09-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Any technical problems? or issues with the tuner? I'll try to look for that thread, what does everyone think about ordering it from Amazon? That is where I can get it for 50$ off because I'm getting a gift card for them soon.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-10-2007, 06:12 PM

The BA Recepter sounds amazing. The sound quality rivals that of Bose systems. Mine is located beneath my HDTV and used to output sound in a home theater type setup. Since I have a small set of rabbit ears behind the TV set for local HDTV reception I am able to tap into it for HD radio reception as well. The reception seems to be very reliable but I am in a large market.
Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page