How many HD AM stations can you GET in your area? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 06-18-2009, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I receive every HD AM and FM station that broadcasts HD in my area with a Boston Acoustics Recepter. I use the included dipole for FM and a Terk Advantage AM loop. I have received FM HD stations from up to 50+ miles and AM HD station over 500 miles on winter nights! Loads of fun. I have a Sony XDR-F1HD on the way.

Don't let the miscreant ant-IBOC poster get in your way. He has been posting on numerous forums berating HD Radio and Ibiquity anywhere he can and for many months. He has a serious problem and needs to seek professional help. Much too much time on his hands. Reminds me of the old, gray haired lady neighborhood know-it-all who needs to know everyones business and tells everyone what they can or can not do - a little fascist dicktator.

Ain't nothing gonna stop free-market forces - nothing. Not even our little anti-IBOC Hitler :-))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 06-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Here in Bakersfield CA I can often get KSPN and KNX from L.A. during the day. At night I often get KCBS from San Francisco (their text scroll said that they have been on the air for 100 years now, I assume the first 11 years were as an experimental station since commerical radio broadcasting didn't start until 1920) and KSL from Salt Lake City. KMJ from Fresno and KDWN from Las Vegas used to be HD but apparently aren't anymore (on a trip to Fresno i couldn't get HD from KMJ, so it's not that the signal isn't reaching Bakersfield anymore. I have never heard any stereo from any of these stations. I would love a chance to hear AM HD stereo.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #33 of 45 Old 06-19-2009, 06:17 AM

I'm in Wheeling WV:

I get WWVA on all my HD radios, and in my car I get KDKA I get a strong HD lock on KDKA, and WTAE is mostly just a HD-ID Tag no lock until I get about 30 miles from Pittsburgh
post #34 of 45 Old 06-21-2009, 10:43 AM

My Sony XDR-F1HD through the loud buzz that is suddenly occuring band-wide, I can hear 3 here.

550 WDDZ
920 WHJJ
1030 WBZ

630 WPRO shut theirs down a year ago.
1290 WRNI's has been off for a little while.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #35 of 45 Old 06-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

920 I think I can get where I am...

1090 is supposed to be in hd but I haven't heard much

sometimes around night I can get stuff from nyc but the timing is odd. I'm not sure what time I'm exactly supposed to get it (770,880,710)
post #36 of 45 Old 06-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Here in Minneapolis a few more have turned on the HD on the AM side...

WCCO is working again
KFAN durring the day, but i can't pick up their analog at night (9 tower night time directional, not pointed to the north)
KSTP-AM sometimes works, i think they're having a helluva time feeding the blaw-knox tower
post #37 of 45 Old 06-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobenet View Post

Here in Minneapolis a few more have turned on the HD on the AM side...

WCCO is working again
KFAN durring the day, but i can't pick up their analog at night (9 tower night time directional, not pointed to the north)
KSTP-AM sometimes works, i think they're having a helluva time feeding the blaw-knox tower

Right now, none actually. I live in Rosemount MN and I just tried WCCO-AM. It tries, but can't lock on IBOC. Pretty much the same with KFAN. In the past I could usually lock on "The Fan", but not "The Good Neighbor". I didn't think KSTP was running IBOC. I get analog only on KSTP here.

I pretty much wrote off HD AM some months ago. To be honest, neither of the formats of KFAN or WCCO interest me. I don't listen to them in analog and I am not going to listen to them in digital. I think the future for IBOC is FM, not AM. I typically tune into 93.7-2, which carries All Comedy Radio. I am glad that I have several HD radios, but the All Comedy Radio carried on 93.7-2 has limited range due to power limitations, but it has sort of been a springboard for me to find other alternative entertainment sources. This past winter while in Best Buy I learned about Slacker Radio. We had XM satellite radio originally, but switched to Sirius when we bought a new mini van about a year and a half ago. Slacker Radio has been a great replacement for us.
post #38 of 45 Old 06-27-2009, 12:11 PM

In Kansas City, we only have 1190 Disney Channel. The signal from 1110 in Omaha can almost be picked up HD, but have to drive north 30 miles to get it.
post #39 of 45 Old 06-27-2009, 05:12 PM

AM:

WFAN
WOR
WABC
WNYC (runs day only)
WCBS-am drops out
WINS
WADO
WQEW (Radio Disney)

IN NYC all but one commercial FM now run IBOC (WQXR) Also two non-comms WFUV (requires adjusting antenna) and most recently, WNYE solid.

The multipath problem if awful here and IBOC deals with that. However, with the exception of WNYC-fm none of the subchannels are of any interest to me.

The FM IBOC is definitely the most successful in terms of quality ie: more "open" (less clipped) and better separation with no background noise.
post #40 of 45 Old 06-28-2009, 11:00 AM

Getting back on topic....

sitting in my driveway in West Chester, PA (Suburban Philadelphia) with my Directed Electronics DMHD1000 "Car Connect", I can successfully tune to 6 AM HD stations:

610 WIP
640 WWJZ
950 WPEN
1060 KYW
1210 WPHT
1480 WUBA

I also got a flashing "HD" on... I think 5 other stations... that I didn't bother to jot down.

It's important to note: The built-in antenna in my car SUCKS. Sadness. I think if I'd done this in any of my previous cars (which had real antennae) I would have gotten a couple more of those channels!
post #41 of 45 Old 06-28-2009, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From the south side of Indianapolis, I get:

700 -- WLW -- Cincinnati -- 92 miles -- solid

840 -- WHAS -- Louisville -- 101 miles -- get the call letters, but no HD lock

920 -- WBAA -- West Lafayette -- 67 miles -- in and out

1070 -- WFNI -- Indianapolis -- 28 miles -- solid

1190 -- WOWO -- Fort Wayne -- 98 miles -- in and out

1260 -- WNDE -- Indianapolis -- 15 miles -- solid

1310 -- WTLC -- Indianapolis -- 10 miles -- solid

This is with a JVC KD-HDR50 in an SUV. This gets great analog AM reception, too -- far better than the Dual XHD-6425 it replaced.

I also have the Sony home iPod dock HD radio. It gets all of the above, except it doesn't get calls on WHAS and it doesn't get WOWO.

Glen
post #42 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Unnecessary posts removed. Stick to the topic, please.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #43 of 45 Old 06-30-2009, 10:57 PM

With stock antenna on my Sony XDR-F1HD (can anyone here actually remember that model without having to look at their radio everytime they write about it) I receive no AM stations in HD. The light flickers on two: WBZ 40 miles East of here and WTAG 6-7 miles from here, not sure which direction, this station booms in here analog, WBZ does not come in here well in analog either. I received WBZ (barely in late afternoon) in HD with a C crane twin Coil ferrite antenna, this is a tunable and directional ferrite loop antenna with amplifier which cost me more than the tuner did.
post #44 of 45 Old 07-03-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I get all four of my local HD Radio AM stations at work in my glass and concrete building with the cheap loop antenna. The only one I have problems with is the Disney Radio station which I can't get in stereo consistently.

Analog AM stations are completely unlistenable for me at work due to RFI from hundreds of electronic devices splattering grinding noise all over the AM band. Once the receiver switches to digital, all the noise is gone.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #45 of 45 Old 07-03-2009, 06:02 PM

I have two different Sony HD models (the tuner and the faux wooden tabletop).

I can usually get 570, 620, 820, 1080 and 1310 on both of them (good day) or either of them. There are other stations but those are just the HD AM frequencies that I listen to.

I use a CCrane Ferrite box in the attic for the 1st floor tabletop and the included loop for the tuner upstairs.

Some of those frequencies are simulcast on FM HD-2 frequencies.
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page