Market needs more HD component tuners - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-10-2007, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any other component tuners out there besides the Sangean HDT (at a reasonable price)? The Rotel is interesting, but too pricey.

Seems like the HD market is sorely missing more component tuners for old school stereo system guys like me. Something you can buy in black or silver, standard component size. I'll probably buy a Sangean soon to get into HD radio because it's the only one I can find. But the BPC case could be improved upon. I'm not interested in buying a HD type clock radio, even though you might you can find one which has audio outs which can connect to an amp. Playing HD though a clock radio is contradictory in my opinion. I guess the other option is to buy a dockable radio which I can carry to my car, but if I want an HD radio for my car I'd go the integrated route and just buy a radio for both places.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-10-2007, 10:13 PM
jhe
AVS Special Member

Well it's not exactly a component tuner but I just got my Onkyo TX-NR905 with HD radio and I tested out the radio part a bit tonight. From a quick check I'd say the remote controls and readout are really nice. But for solid reception with weak signals, my Sangean is way better.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-13-2007, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

Forget HD radio, the market for component tuners AS A MARKET FOR GENERAL CONSUMERS (as opposed to high-end audio geeks and raido nerds) is tiny. Most people buy RECEIVERS, not component tuners. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE component tuners. They're just about my favorite audio products (tons of great programming for free!) But if consumers were buying ONLY HD Radio devices, the market for component tuners would STILL BE TINY!

It's a niche. An important one, but a niche.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-13-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Walker View Post

Forget HD radio, the market for component tuners AS A MARKET FOR GENERAL CONSUMERS (as opposed to high-end audio geeks and raido nerds) is tiny. Most people buy RECEIVERS, not component tuners. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE component tuners. They're just about my favorite audio products (tons of great programming for free!) But if consumers were buying ONLY HD Radio devices, the market for component tuners would STILL BE TINY!

It's a niche. An important one, but a niche.

I am afraid he may be right. Most people are too intimidated and can't afford to buy all the different parts. The good news! Installers and specialty audio dealers (from my conversations with most) are seeing booming numbers. Customers are coming back. HDTV is moving people into the audio part of the experience.

I admittedly did it the opposite way, I started with audio and only a month ago bought a TV large enough to accompany my audio system.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-18-2007, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe, but since HD radio is new, a component tuner makes sense because you can add it any existing system, like a receiver or amp. There are millions of systems in people's homes now with the potential of adding a HD tuner. If people can hook up DVD recorders, cable boxes, and video games to a receiver, you'd think they could add a 2 wire connect for HD radio if the sound quality is as good as their CD player and the content is free.

Maybe I am an audio geek, but I don't have a desired to buy a tabletop radio where the HD probably doesn't sound any better than FM on little speakers. I want a component tuner, looks like Sangean HDT is the only option out there at a resonable price.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-18-2007, 09:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've put the "headphone output" of the B.A. Recepter into a line in on my audio system and it sounded great. I thought this used to not work because the impedance of headphone outputs are usually too low but I didn't get any hum or noise with a short cable.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-19-2007, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

The "headphone output" on the Accurian should be labeled "line out", as it's too low to drive most headphones without an amplifier, but just right for line out. Sounds great. If only Accurian hadn't made the damn thing ugly as sin (to my eyes, it may be the ugliest table radio I've ever seen. Looks like a 20 dollar piece of Wal Mart crap, with that unbelievably bright blue display staring at you! I hate it so damn much I'm considering buying a second one
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page