Radiosophy HD100 With External Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2007, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I use my Radiosophy HD100 out in my barn and I am thinking of getting some inexpensive outdoor speakers to use with this. I know that this has a stereo headphone mini jack and I would like to use this to power a pair of external outdoor speakers. Can anyone recommend any outdoor speakers that would work well for this? If there a maximum size that these will drive? I certainly don't need anything fancy, but I would like inexpensive and weather resistant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jim,

If you're intention is to go directly to the speakers via the headphone jack, this will prove quite difficult. This device will barely drive normal headphones.
You will need an intermediate amplification. This is much easier than it sounds, the choices are:
- Self amplified speakers, these require either 110v outlet or batteries.
- Any old junk receiver with some type of input. You then get headphone to amp cable, and any catalog outdoor speaker from Radio Shack, JR and such.
- Boom box with input jack also

I went the self powered route (pc speakers), but I take them inside when I'm done. The good news with any of the choices is that you music device can be anything you own: MP3 player, old walkman, old cd player, portable computer, etc. My self powered speakers are never hooked up to the same device two days in a row. The bit of bad news is that I have an out of production speaker that contains its own power supply (no heavy brick to plug in).

Good luck
Mike C.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some of today's PC speakers are surprisingly good, certainly much better than what you'll find in even very expensive radios!