Rythmik 15 Red Oak Sub build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 03-17-2008, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is my nearly complete ds1500 rythmik sub. this is the second sub i've build, the first is an ACI Titan II, shown with the new grill sitting on top of it.
Let me know what you think!
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-17-2008, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

red oak stain
LL
LL
post #3 of 31 Old 03-17-2008, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Varnished (mostly) with driver and grill in place. Speaker will be on its side and front firing. feet are in the mail.
LL
LL
post #4 of 31 Old 03-17-2008, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Very interesting design for a "grille" I like it a lot, very unique! Well done!

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #5 of 31 Old 03-17-2008, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use one also. Its front firing though., I always wanted to do a down firing as I heard the bass is less localized. Any truth to that ?
post #6 of 31 Old 03-17-2008, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks MH. I wanted something different, I think it really adds something.
CAP- havent heard that down firing is harder to locate. I think that has more to do with where the XO is set..
post #7 of 31 Old 03-17-2008, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I like the exterior finish,very nice work on the covering ! The driver protection unique.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #8 of 31 Old 03-18-2008, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.P View Post

I use one also. Its front firing though., I always wanted to do a down firing as I heard the bass is less localized. Any truth to that ?

Not really.I use quad 15" and they face forward, not a sound (um..I can't localize them)
post #9 of 31 Old 03-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

But does downfiring help transfer energy into the floor (instead of shaking the cabinet)also giving the effect of more or less localized bass?

Just thinking out loud here.

Got iSCSI?
post #10 of 31 Old 03-20-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Feet, driver and grill installed. note, feet are "modular" in that they are held in place by blue tac and thus can be placed to allow the amp to be located on either left or right side, or sub can be converted to down firing by removing grill and relocating feet.
Rythmik's new amp with PEQ built in should arrive mid april.
LL
LL
LL
post #11 of 31 Old 03-20-2008, 09:21 PM

Liked: 11
Sub looks great man. Love that finish too, don't have the facilities for that so I just stuck to Red Maple Vinyl Laminate from PE. Closest I can get to a beautiful finish like yours.
post #12 of 31 Old 03-20-2008, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Great job, nice build.

post #13 of 31 Old 03-21-2008, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 428
Quote:

Let me know what you think!

I think it looks great!.. nice work.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #14 of 31 Old 03-21-2008, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoyed making it, and am happy with how it came out. Now I just have to wait for the new amp to come in before i can listen to it.
post #15 of 31 Old 03-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Exclusively Servo

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandtk View Post

Rythmik's new amp with PEQ built in should arrive mid april.

Here are the photos of the new amps. Same output, additional features.

w/ PEQ

no PEQ, but with XLR and master/slave control for multiple amps.

post #16 of 31 Old 03-21-2008, 09:29 AM

sorry to ask this - but how did you achieve the wonderful grain (after staining) if the cabinet is made from mdf?
post #17 of 31 Old 03-21-2008, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Scotty- Ask away! I used PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) red oak laminate. very easy to apply, not too expensive. Since i wanted a darker look, i stained it too.
post #18 of 31 Old 03-23-2008, 05:03 PM

sub looks awesome
post #19 of 31 Old 04-01-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post

Here are the photos of the new amps. Same output, additional features.

w/ PEQ

So that looks like a single band PEQ. What's the price increase if any? Maybe I need to convince my wife I need one now!

By the way OP, great job on the sub build.
post #20 of 31 Old 04-02-2008, 02:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
XLRs! Just goes to show - customers talk, Brian listens, Brian acts!
post #21 of 31 Old 04-02-2008, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Nice amps Brian!

post #22 of 31 Old 04-02-2008, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Update - per emails with Brian, the new amps are in the country! Once i get the PEQ amp, i will post a review and photos of the sub in play.
post #23 of 31 Old 04-02-2008, 02:02 PM

Rolandtk wrote...

"Update - per emails with Brian, the new amps are in the country! Once i get the PEQ amp, i will post a review and photos of the sub in play."

Great news rolandtk, Thanks for the update I will watch for your eval.

Do you, (or anyone) have any idea if when going with two Rythmik sub kits, would having one amp with PEQ and one with XLR be the way to go?

Thanks for any repy.
post #24 of 31 Old 04-02-2008, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

the XLR is meant to be connected to another XLR sub(master/ slave), and use something like the BFD to eq the subs. The PEQ has no SUB out, only high pass line out.
post #25 of 31 Old 04-02-2008, 07:31 PM

Interesting.

Hopefully soon- Brian from Rythmik Audio will be able to fill us in on some of the particulars.
post #26 of 31 Old 04-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Exclusively Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKView View Post

Interesting.

Hopefully soon- Brian from Rythmik Audio will be able to fill us in on some of the particulars.

I cannot really demo all these features without showing the plots. SO here they are
A370PEQ:

On the top is this defeat-able PEQ. The gain level is from 3db to -12db. The bandwidth controls how wide the notch/peak is. Frequency is from 20hz to 80 with each dot position represents 10hz increment. I don't recommend boost below 35hz. But boost above 40hz is ok as our subs
have more headroom there. The first plot is the gain control at 3 different positions: 3db, 0db, and -12db. The frequency setting is at 20hz. the bandwidth is at min.

Here is another plot shows how other positions look like.

As one can see, the most useful range is between 0db and 3 o'clock position.

Next is the width control. The comparison is between 7 o'clock, then 9, 12, and 3. I didn't plot 5 o'clock as it is same as 3 o'clock position. The gain is at -12db and frequency is set to 20hz.

Next is the frequency setting comparison at various dotted positions, from 20hz to 80hz. There is a bit of inaccuracy. But overall it is still very good.

In the middle are our regular controls. The one worth discussion is the phase/delay. It is same as the previous one except I improve the resolution and change the label. The circuit is a simple RC all pass filter. Similar circuit is used for adding delay time (such as those in Linkwitz's all active speakers). That is why I add delay to the label. While the circuit does provide delay, but it will top out at 180 degrees. Theoretically, given a fixed delay, the phase shift should be proportional to frequency. However, this RC circuit will not go beyond 180 degrees. Even though I can cascade more stages, I don't think it is useful. I put in 180 there to stress the fact that the circuit tops out at 180degress. So that 180 degrees is not constant to all frequency. Even if you put in 90degree (at 12 oclock position), that is not constant for all frequencies. To get accurate phase delay, one really needs to first figure out the xover frequency and the reciprocal of that gives use the period. 90 degrees is a quarter of period. Then find the position of that on this dial. Your adjustment range is from 7 o'clock to that position to get 0 to 90 degrees shift, you can more by turning more to the right, but it may saturate at 180 degrees even before you turn all the way to the right. Anyway, a plot is worth a thousand words, and here it is from 8 o'clock position to 3 o'clock position. I only plot to 3 o'clock as there is no change beyond 3 o'clock position.

The bottom row has 4 switches. The left 2 are new. One is to replace our 12-24db switch. So this model will replace our 12-24db model going forward. For those with HT receiver and use its bass management, they should get it to middle position 12db/EXT. EXT means the main xover is external. For those don't have HT receiver, or don't use the bass management function on receivers should use the top or bottom positions. The xover control in the middle row now becomes the fine tuning knob. The rumble filter is for vinyl user or those who wants to play louder. It is a 3rd order HP at 20hz.

A370XLR:

It has a balanced input and balanced output. However, the balance input is more for subwoofer input only as it does not have HP output. The balanced output is mainly for master/slave configuration. In master mode, the balanced input is just like the other two single-ended inputs, except it does not have HP filtered output. The balanced output goes to another slave unit with the switch set to slave. With this setup, one can precisely control two units to have identical output except phase. In other words, phase control is still functional in slave mode. I believe this is desirable as multiple subs may have different distance to the listener.
post #27 of 31 Old 04-10-2008, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Well, The PEQ Amp came in last night. Very impressive! huge toroidal (?) amp, heavy weight. All the controls have a quality, smooth feel, and the knobs are rubber.
I installed the amp with the included set of screws (actually, two sets are included 3/4 and 1 in.)
After moving the monster into place, I plugged it in, ran a quick auto setup in the Marantz SR 7001, and it was off to test some favorite music and movie clips.
Most impressive was the tapping fishtank scene from Nemo. I felt like i was in the tank-almost felt dizzy. Same with the dark side of the moon.
listening to music passages and sacds, I really felt the sub integrated much better with the mains (Maggie 1.6) than my prior sub (ACI Titan II - also kit built)
So far, I'm not even closing to pushing this sub to limits (I went with the 15 to give me lots of spare headroom)
My prior REW tests with the Titan gave me a room peak at 47 hz, so i dialed that into the Amp's PEQ. I need to re-run REW and see how level it is.
Overall, I am amazed at the extension and Vol. of air moved by the Rythmik. I am very happy with how it integrates much better with my mains.

I will post some pics when i get a chance and run REW.

Thanks Brian!!
post #28 of 31 Old 04-10-2008, 02:28 PM

I purchased the DS12CV with the 24db adjustable slope kit last year in November.
This amp with the peq interest me though , is there a way i can swap my existing one for this one? or is this amp only for the 15" kits,
I have it loosely mounted in an external box so i can easily take it out.
post #29 of 31 Old 04-10-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

The amp is designed to match Brian's servo-responsive/actuated speakers (both 12 and 15).
i would check with brian if the CV compact version is compatible with the PEQ amp.
post #30 of 31 Old 04-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Exclusively Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandtk View Post

The amp is designed to match Brian's servo-responsive/actuated speakers (both 12 and 15).
i would check with brian if the CV compact version is compatible with the PEQ amp.

The entire A370 series amps are compatible in terms of footprint. Their sink heats are identical (EDIT: I meant mouting holes, fins, corner, ...etc). Servo power amps are identical. The only difference is the preamp board. If we compare the entire servo plate amps between the 12" and 15", there are only two places that are different: 1) the field replaceable servo board, and 2) a resistor-capacitor network that is soldered to the back of the preamp. By changing these two things, one can convert the amp for use with one driver model to for use with another driver model. The reason why the servo board can be different is that we can compensate for the physical parameters of each model such that all models have matched frequency response between 5hz and 60hz (+/-1db the worst), although I prefer to refer to it as FR cloning. So my customers often ask me if 15" plays lower and my answer is "no". They actually have the same FR in the above frequency range as the 12" driver in order to preserve the same time domain characteristics. The 12" may not play as loud and the extension switch is there for the purpose of trading off max SPL with extension.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs