Polyester Resin Testing on Sonotube - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-01-2008, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm testing out some polyester resin on a scrap piece of 22" Sonotube. I did one part pre-sanded with 220, one part with no prep and one part coated on the interior and exterior.

I want to paint my Sonotubes, so I am looking for a good painting surface. A little bit of added structural integrity won't hurt either. The resin is drying right now, so I'll keep you guys posted. The main thing I am looking for is a delamination of the cardboard or any other negative effects. So far the resin didn't soak all the way through, and there are no signs of anything bad.

I'll post back up in a few hours when it is dry. If it works the resin should be a great surface to paint or veneer over.

I'm using the General Purpose Polyester Resin here...
http://www.shopmaninc.com/polyesters.html

Only $25 a gallon, which should be enough for two big Sonotubes.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-01-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Good news, no delamination or anything negative for that matter. The inside/outside coated piece seems a bit more rigid as well. Not as much of a noticeable structural difference on the exterior only parts. Also, no sanding needed. It actually made the surface very rough after the resin dried. A good wipe down is all that is needed before application. I'll be using solvent resistant rollers to apply the resin, brushing it on would take forever.

LL
LL
post #3 of 6 Old 04-01-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I built an enclosure years ago with a very thick cardboard tube. ( my brother worked at a paper mill ) The tube was 3/4 inch thick ( used as a shipping container for the $50,000 felt for the machine. No delamination at all. Nothing to worry about.

FYI, polyester bodyfiller works good to level off the surface after the resin. A long board sander will help you level it all off. A few passes with P180 paper and you will be ready for primer. You may want to use a notched glue spreader trowel to put on a thicker first pass, then when that cures a smooth spreader to give you a nice thicker coat to sand smooth.

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #4 of 6 Old 04-01-2008, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 127
This is interesting. Please keep us posted with your findings.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-01-2008, 11:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Impregnating with resin would greatly aid in *preventing* delamination.

The Sonotubes I've used had waxed paper layer on the insoide to prevent water absorption (remember, they're pouring forms for concrete pillars), so I'm a little surprised it soaked in..

Noah
post #6 of 6 Old 04-01-2008, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Impregnating with resin would greatly aid in *preventing* delamination.

True, once it dries. I was worried about delamination when the resin is first applied because it is wet and gets fairly hot when curing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

The Sonotubes I've used had waxed paper layer on the insoide to prevent water absorption (remember, they're pouring forms for concrete pillars), so I'm a little surprised it soaked in..

I'd removed the wax layer on the inside prior to applying the resin. It pulled off fairly easily in one big piece.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page