Finished My Ed 18 inch sono's - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 672 Old 11-24-2009, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea, after I saw the picture that came out, I should have took another one. But I caught you in the moment. hehe *this was when I had to sit down cause my back was sore*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 672 Old 11-24-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Nice pair!!!!!!
post #663 of 672 Old 11-24-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post

Nice pair!!!!!!

LOL! Of builders or subs?

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #664 of 672 Old 11-24-2009, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Seems the drivers will be here by the end of the week but I won't be. I wil get these finished on Dec. 5-6th when I get back.

Yamaha RX-A2030
speakers- 9 Behringer B215XL's
subs- SI 18ht x12 IB powered by Sanway FP14K.
post #665 of 672 Old 11-24-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I would be excited for you. BUT...I have zero idea what im looking at with your new build? Can someone fill me in please??tks
post #666 of 672 Old 11-24-2009, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

They are DIY Danley DTS-10 kits. They are Tapped horn subs and why you see all the chambers inside. The mouth of the horn is on the bottom on that top hole will be the binding post panel that will get sealed.

Yamaha RX-A2030
post #667 of 672 Old 11-24-2009, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 20
James I hope you dont mind this but I have 2 nicely carpeted enclosures with wood trim and the same specs and size as your cut out specifically for the 19ov.02 by eD like yours were. I figured people following your thread might be interested in the enclosures since your response was so great in your room.

Just letting those who followed James and might be in the NJ area I will let the enclosures go for very cheap.
post #668 of 672 Old 12-01-2009, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

High power is not a problem these days but I am not sure if maggies can take all that juice. Maggies in my room can reach reference levels(per speaker) with 400 watts. Can maggies even take that much power? I have more power on tap if need be. The problem is how much power can Maggies take? I have asked this before on the Maggie forum and I never get an answer.

Trust me on this as I am a Maggie owner myself and would never go back to anything for 2 channel stereo again except a set of maggies. You do NOT need alot of wattage. What need is alot of CURRENT. I would get a Threshold 400a(which is only a hundred watts) or something comparable with that amp to really make them sing. Wattage is not the issue current is. Ask any Maggie owner and they should tell you the same thing. If you look at my setup I run a high current Van Alstine and it does the trick and I get plenty of dynamics and I come from a 150 db plus car audio world( no im not saying maggies will ever do that type of volume its just they produce enough output with high current as opposed to high wattage.
post #669 of 672 Old 01-22-2010, 06:26 AM

Liked: 11
Figure I repost this here as well being relating to eD's..

MKtheater Danley DTS-10 review/comparison with eD's

Well I finally got to listen to MKtheater/ Jame's new dual "Danley DTS-10" Home Theater setup this past week. I had been over there a few months before that to listen to the 8 sealed eD setup he had before. Before I get into the sound review, like to go into just the solid look/feel of the Danley's themselves. I happened to get to James is house before he was there so I had some time to stare at these beasts(DTS-10). I gave the solid wooden enclosures the knock test with my hands to hear and feel the sound. These felt very solid and resonated a very deep solid sound when I did knock on them. (Niiccce I thought)

Setup
Now I have to say I am comparing 8 eD subs powered by 4 Behringer EP2500 each sub running at 2 ohms from back in Nov 09 and comparing to 2 Danley DTS-10 running of (1) behringer EP4000. So there is a big difference in the new of amps and subs used in the eD setup compared to the Danley setup. Basically in favor of the Ed's from the number of amps (4 - 1) and woofers (8 - 4).

Sound
Well I got to be honest, I figure if I had either of these setups I have be VERY happy with my home theater in the bass response category. So in my mind both of these setups are winners. Now the differences. Well the eD's not surprisingly I believe had more bass. James theater area is small and it just tended to pressurize the whole room for longer periods of time. During scenes of the Dark Night and the tumbler there were longer period of just hair on head or my legs standing at attention for longer period, (hence the more pressurized feel). Bass decay just seemed to take longer and maybe a bit bloated. When I first went to Jame's Home Theater in November I didn't think the eD's were muddy or over done in the bass but had nothing on that level to compare it to. I found there really enjoyable, not fatiguing, but hair rising, and a good time in general.

The Danley's to me seemed to hit the same levels that the Ed's (SPLs) would hit but just not hold the bass as long. (aka the decay was faster) Or in other words, I found the peak to peak responses of both setups about the same. This decay lead to there being more detail in the bass response because the bass decayed quicker allowing there to be more / different eruptions in given scene. OK so what am I saying.. Well take the tumbler scene in Dark Knight again (which I hear in both), where there use to be one explosion there were now many smaller eruptions during one main explosion scene. The intensity of the initial explosion in the bass response was there just decay was faster. Although I would say there was less bass; room didn't feel as pressurized during a given scene w/ DTS-10s. I found this setup more entertaining. There is more detail where before there was just less detail and more bass. The new terminator movie worked very well to showcase this due to a lack of really big bass response and just a lot of bass response throughout. Unfortunately new Terminator movie hadn't come out when I was at Jame's house in November so I can't say there was a Apple's to Apple's comparison. But that didn't matter because it was there in TF2, and many other scenes in DK. As for how deep the Danley's went I can say that seemed to my ears/skin/hair to be just as deep as the Ed's. I also say the attack of Hanley's seems to be the same as the eD's. The gun canon test in the DK was a good test of this and both I felt hit me just as quick. It was again the decay that I really noticed was different from this scene.

Summary
I liked the Danley's better then the Ed's. This wasn't night and day differences but I would say there were noticeable differences between the two. I could also see a really bass head liking the eD's over the Danley's for having more overall bass. I personally liked the added detail the Danley's gave over the total bass the eD's put out. With the Hanley's it just seems like I just got hit with more bass waves which is good stuff.

I like thank Jame's for taking the time out and showing me his setup.

-Chris
post #670 of 672 Old 01-25-2010, 06:30 PM

Where do you place each of the Danleys in your room, MK?
post #671 of 672 Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Dangit MK, I was all ready and set to go with a few eD's, but now you converted AGAIN. And the annoying thing is that the price of these guys is high enough that I can't play ball--at least with the eD's I can buy them economically in increments of two.

We love overkill. -- gperkins1973
My fuse box is my HPF. -- kryptonitewhite

2x18 Ficar IB3 Infinite Baffle Manifold Install
post #672 of 672 Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I am selling my eD's for $200 each and I have 4 left. 4 of them would compare against 1 dts-10 for movie watching but if you want to get crazy with the volume 4 eD's would have more max output. The shipping is killer though, it cost me $200 to ship one so the cost was $400 for one shipped. $800 for 2.

My DTS-10's are on the front corners with the back to the side walls and the front or mouth facing the speakers or in.

Yamaha RX-A2030
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page