Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 480 Old 12-19-2008, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

Though the thread is certainly still relevant as there are dozens of forum members (myself included) patiently awaiting this next shipment (which theoretically was supposed to start going out today). I spoke with Kevin at the end of last week and components were just clearing customs, so I don't know if it's a go or not. I haven't heard from him and haven't officially placed and paid for my order for 2 (he said to wait until he had stock), but I'm on the list...

Jason

I see! I'm so used to being charged at the time of shipment that I might of taken things for granted. Kevin has been so busy, that I didn't want to ask any more questions. I notice the debit pending though, but it hasn't happened yet. I see no info on their site regarding. Anyway, I'm on the list for two myself and look forward to another build. Oh! If I have paid, I get to move ahead of you Jason.
Quote:

IIRC, there was a single 4ohm that has just come and now gone. I think this next shipment will be dual 2ohm and that from now on.

That works better for me Scotty. I do need to figure out a new amp though. Luckily, half my room is on one circuit and the other half is on another.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 480 Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Oh! If I have paid, I get to move ahead of you Jason.

Absolutely...My commitment is merely verbal at this point, though I'm hoping for 2, too!

Jason

Custom Built For The Win!
post #453 of 480 Old 12-19-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Absolutely...My commitment is merely verbal at this point, though I'm hoping for 2, too!

Jason

Ha! So what do you plan on building?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #454 of 480 Old 12-23-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I know the VC has changed a couple of times now. At first they were offered with a dual 8ohm configuration. IIRC, there was a single 4ohm that has just come and now gone. I think this next shipment will be dual 2ohm and that from now on.

Does anyone know if the T/S specs have changed at all? I got by the website to check and they all look the same from what I have entered in Unibox.

Single 4ohm? Did they drop the xbl^2 motor?

YID DIY
post #455 of 480 Old 12-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Single 4ohm? Did they drop the xbl^2 motor?

The XBL^2 motor hasn't been dropped, it's still being used. Just the configuration of the VC's has changed. IIRC, the last shipment was all single 4ohm coils and this current (and future M-X's) will be dual 2ohm.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #456 of 480 Old 12-23-2008, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Ha! So what do you plan on building?

A pair of smallish sealed Mal-X's for our basement HT. I probably won't get rolling on the boxes until after the holidays.

Jason

post #457 of 480 Old 12-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone heard any updates on the next Mal-X shipments? Unfortunately, I forgot to call Kevin today and it looks like they will be closed for the next couple of days. I ordered back in late October for the next shipment that may have shipped last week. I never got an email from Kevin about my current status or any other email to expect a shipment. Has anyone else heard or read anything?
post #458 of 480 Old 12-24-2008, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The XBL^2 motor hasn't been dropped, it's still being used. Just the configuration of the VC's has changed. IIRC, the last shipment was all single 4ohm coils and this current (and future M-X's) will be dual 2ohm.

Well the way I understand how xbl^2 works is you have to have 2 coils and thus why there's a 2. Maybe I missed something?

YID DIY
post #459 of 480 Old 12-24-2008, 02:45 AM

Quote:

Just the configuration of the VC's has changed. IIRC, the last shipment was all single 4ohm coils and this current (and future M-X's) will be dual 2ohm.

This batch of Maelstrom-X's are single 4-ohm coils.

Quote:

Has anyone heard any updates on the next Mal-X shipments?

Shipping was expected to start on the 22nd. It will take a couple of weeks to get all the orders out. Oldest orders are being shipped first.
post #460 of 480 Old 12-24-2008, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A pair of smallish sealed Mal-X's for our basement HT. I probably won't get rolling on the boxes until after the holidays.

Jason

Cool! Hope to hear how it goes. In the end I decided to go with a couple chunks of 22"ID 73"L 16cu ft sono that I have been hauling around. I'll plop one in a 5 cu ft sealed enclosure (that's sitting empty) to get a feel for how these bad boys do also.
Quote:

Shipping was expected to start on the 22nd. It will take a couple of weeks to get all the orders out. Oldest orders are being shipped first.
Today 02:42 AM

That's my understanding also. I'm letting him be so he can do his thing. My understanding is he has enough on hand to get caught up. I do know with his home base being up in NW Washington, that they might be experiencing snow and ice like we are here in NW Oregon. I think actually worse! Not to mention it's the Holiday season. Merry Christmas fellow DIY'rs

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #461 of 480 Old 12-24-2008, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone know what shipping costs are like to Canada for a pair of these drivers?
post #462 of 480 Old 12-24-2008, 07:57 AM

That will depend on your location and how the subs are shipped. Contact Kevin to find out.

http://www.diycable.com/main/contact_us.php
post #463 of 480 Old 12-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Well the way I understand how xbl^2 works is you have to have 2 coils and thus why there's a 2. Maybe I missed something?

Looney, you might be thinking of the 'split coil' approach. The VC is sorta in two with the 'split coil'. With XBL^2 there is a conventional VC but the motor has multiple gaps to disperse flux along the coil's travel.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #464 of 480 Old 12-30-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Soooo...any word on the elusive Mal-X availability? Anyone got their hot little hands on one or two yet?

Jason

post #465 of 480 Old 01-01-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Soooo...any word on the elusive Mal-X availability? Anyone got their hot little hands on one or two yet?

Jason

Just got a mail stating my pair will ship tomorrow. I'm a little extra excited about the Mae-X's due to them being such nice 18"s and (if all goes as it should) I'll have 1 1/2 months to play with them before being released back to work. My cast was just taken off my hand, so building subs ought to be just the ticket in getting my hand back in shape

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #466 of 480 Old 01-01-2009, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Steve-

Good to hear you're on the mend...don't over do it with the sub building. Looking forward to your results.

Jason

post #467 of 480 Old 01-01-2009, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I also just my email.... I should be getting mine on Monday, not sure how long the 3rd will be, but at least it will give me a bit of time to get going on my last box...

I'm really looking forward to these, the 15's just don't have enough oomph for my room, but 3 of these should do the trick...
post #468 of 480 Old 01-01-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looney, you might be thinking of the 'split coil' approach. The VC is sorta in two with the 'split coil'. With XBL^2 there is a conventional VC but the motor has multiple gaps to disperse flux along the coil's travel.

Oh, yes, I had it reversed; thinking single gap and split coils. Brain farts happen.

YID DIY
post #469 of 480 Old 01-01-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Can any canadian owners tell me what extra fees they got hit with shipping with ups? I have a friend who wants me to build him a dual setup but from the looks of it the 2 subs will be $1000 plus god knows what from ups. anyone?

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #470 of 480 Old 01-02-2009, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

N8Dogg,

I'm wondering the same thing. I know The Ear had problems with USPS but my experience has always been go with USPS for less brokerage fees and better service (UPS has lost and trashed many things on me). If you have to go with UPS then I've read you should clear the goods yourself at a local customs office and can save a ton of money.

I'm going to be bringing back via car 2 EP2500's and a dcx2496 but I can't seem myself having any room for subs so they will have to be mailed home somehow.
post #471 of 480 Old 01-02-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepP View Post

I'm going to be bringing back via car 2 EP2500's and a dcx2496 but I can't seem myself having any room for subs so they will have to be mailed home somehow.

Rent an SUV? You could haul enough stuff for a couple of people, then split the cost of the rental car and gas?

YID DIY
post #472 of 480 Old 01-02-2009, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Well you's save probably $100-$150 doing it yourself. I just hate ups soooo much, I've been screwed by them too many times to list.
my best is I bought 2 shirts from skin.com for $61 and the brokerage and other crap by ups was $68.22 FOR 2 SHIRTS???? I gave the package back to him and said send it back, I'm not paying that. He then tried to cut the cost in half and I still told him to shove it up his ass lol.

Took 6 months but I got my money back for the shirts and vowed to never deal with them again (sometimes it's unavoidable)

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #473 of 480 Old 01-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Looney,

Good idea, but I'm flying to Florida with my wife, a pug, a ragdoll cat, and 3 and 5 year old boys. My inlaws do the drive down which takes about 24 hours in total. They take all our suitcases so we only have to bring carry on. On the way back we will probably try and take a suitcase so my wife can bring back the mountains of clothes she gets from the millions of outlet malls and I'll try and stuff some of the electronics in the car. I used to bring back unique potato chips that were not available in Canada but the waist line is not allowing that this year :P

I'm looking into the possibility of mailing the subs home and applying my duty free 750 allowance towards the subs.

N8,

UPS uses me like a dime store whore. Just some examples. They managed to play football with some triad speakers I ordered. They literally arrived in pieces and dumped on my door step. This after we had gone twice to the depot to try and pick them up as they had left a card at the door. Each time they couldn't find them. All 3 triad golds were totally ruined. Next order they lost 2 of the 3 buttkickers I ordered. And all the while charging insane brokerage and other fees. Last two items my wife ordered that *had* to be shipped UPS (even though the company swore the 2nd time they would ship USPS) both had extra charges that exceeded the price she paid on the goods. I complained so much I think we had a year's worth of free credits with them.

I will say that UPS in the US has always been great. I've ordered things while staying there and had nothing but outstanding delivery.
post #474 of 480 Old 01-05-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Have any Mal-X's shipped or landed yet?

Jason

post #475 of 480 Old 01-05-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman View Post

Have any Mal-X's shipped or landed yet?

Jason

Warpdrv over on HTS stated he had an email that his has shipped but he's the only one I've seen. I haven't officially ordered mine (Kevin told me to wait) - but I'm "on the list" whatever that does for me!

Kevin has stated multiple times he's working hard to get the backlog of them out the door, starting with the oldest of course. I can't wait to get my hands on one!
post #476 of 480 Old 01-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
FWIW - my 'single' unit is scheduled to be delivered this Thursday - his five siblings patiently await his arrival.

I'm ready to let the REW good-times roll

Larry

btw - Kevin indicated he was 'swimming' in a sea of drivers. He's a good guy and will certainly do his best to get orders out-the-door.
post #477 of 480 Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04FLHRCI View Post

FWIW - my 'single' unit is scheduled to be delivered this Thursday - his five siblings patiently await his arrival.

I'm ready to let the REW good-times roll

Larry

btw - Kevin indicated he was 'swimming' in a sea of drivers. He's a good guy and will certainly do his best to get orders out-the-door.

Out of curiosity 04FLHRCI, when did you actually order your Mal-X? I know Warpdrv stated he had ordered his way back in October, just curious how poor Kevin is keeping up!
post #478 of 480 Old 01-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

I don't recall the actual date; however, this is a 'replacement' unit to satisfy a warranty claim from my original six units.

Larry
post #479 of 480 Old 01-05-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04FLHRCI View Post

I don't recall the actual date; however, this is a 'replacement' unit to satisfy a warranty claim from my original six units.

Larry

SIX Maelstrom-X's? Good LORD man! What on earth are you doing with SIX Maelstrom-X's?
post #480 of 480 Old 01-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I had to use 'something' as stands for my Triple 8's
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page