18" Easy Button End Tables 24" x 21" x 36" hwd - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 286 Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Dan is the easy button MAX pretty much the limit for the mael-x's extension in a ported design? I saw some of the larger boxes you posted in the other threads for the 21 mael-X but I was curious if you add more volume/port length to the current design will you gain anything without going over X-max?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 286 Old 01-07-2011, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The MAX configuration is really the limit of what I could get out of two sheets of wood in this configuration. As such it didn't turn out too bad IMO. But that's not to say that someone won't come along with a better mouse trap. The M-21 can go a bit lower but the box is gonna need to be at least twice the size, and that comes with it's own set of problems.

Regards,
Dan
post #273 of 286 Old 01-07-2011, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I should have said the 18" mael-x. I know you got it down to two sheets in the max compared to the three in the original.

I was more curious if you could get more out of the 18" in extension with a bigger box.
post #274 of 286 Old 01-07-2011, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Dan is the easy button MAX pretty much the limit for the mael-x's extension in a ported design? I saw some of the larger boxes you posted in the other threads for the 21 mael-X but I was curious if you add more volume/port length to the current design will you gain anything without going over X-max?
Generally speaking bigger is better...aside from being bigger. Dan's design is an awesome use of 2 sheets of MDF and a single 18. It gives a nice low end boost versus the same size sealed cab.

If you went bigger you would need less power and might be able to push the port resonances higher. IMO, the 21 is better suited to sealed cabs.
post #275 of 286 Old 01-07-2011, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post

Sorry, I should have said the 18" mael-x. I know you got it down to two sheets in the max compared to the three in the original.

I was more curious if you could get more out of the 18" in extension with a bigger box.

Hypothetically speaking - Yes; if conditions are good WRT room gain and siginal chain. Using this exact port and expanding the box volume to 13'³ should get you tuned to ~8Hz, you will need to DIY an 18dB per octave filter with an FC@7.25Hz and a Q of .9.

Regards,
Dan
post #276 of 286 Old 01-08-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

You have any sims with 2x the volume? Does it raise the overall spl or just get more extension?
post #277 of 286 Old 01-08-2011, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You just get more extension.

Regards,
Dan
post #278 of 286 Old 01-10-2011, 06:40 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
I'm not sure what you are referring to can you post links to the threads?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...665&highlight=

I am trying to decide on building 3 things....a 24.5 THT box, your bigger box with a mael or the smaller box linked above. My budget is $1k. I only have one corner to corner load, but can stack.
post #279 of 286 Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Do you have any idea what the room gain is for a sub in that location? Do you sit near a boundary in this room? Is the bass good? Do you have access to wood working equipment, are you an experienced wood worker? The 24.5" wide THT is only going to get you down to the low 20Hz range, but it is more efficient than the other options. The THT won't take 2KW though

Regards,
Dan
post #280 of 286 Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Do you have any idea what the room gain is for a sub in that location? Do you sit near a boundary in this room? Is the bass good? Do you have access to wood working equipment, are you an experienced wood worker? The 24.5" wide THT is only going to get you down to the low 20Hz range, but it is more efficient than the other options. The THT won't take 2KW though

Have no clue what my room gain would be for sub in the corner as I have never had a sub Well I am borrowing my roommates 8" sub that really great...my mains put out more bass. From the corner I want to place the sub in to my main LP is 13 feet maybe little less and all tile floor with the exception of the area rug. I have full access to wood working equipment and my uncle is the one who would build as he builds cabinets, shelves, etc for a living. I know the THT wont get me below 20hz, but have heard it is more efficient above 20hz than the others. The "corner" where I plan on putting the sub can fit a 60" x 60" x 48" since nothing is in the corner anyway. I would have to assemble the box inside the house though, but thats ok.
post #281 of 286 Old 01-10-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 129
IMO, it is pretty simple. The THT is the best bang for the buck if you are willing to have a large enclosure, semi complex build (definitely doable), and extension only to 20hz. It will require minimal power and cost about $400.

Going to the MAX you get a slightly smaller enclosure but still large, slightly easier to build, and extension to at least 12hz. It will cost you more because the driver alone is $500 and then you need a pro amp like the EP4000 and maybe a bump box for the signal. It would likely be right at the edge of your budget. It would probably be capable of peak output to the THT.

A single sealed would cost about the same as the MAX but would take up less space. It might be capable of sub 20hz output at a little less than reference if you have a small well sealed room. You are giving up quite a bit of low end to the MAX.
post #282 of 286 Old 01-10-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan View Post
IMO, it is pretty simple. The THT is the best bang for the buck if you are willing to have a large enclosure, semi complex build (definitely doable), and extension only to 20hz. It will require minimal power and cost about $400.

Going to the MAX you get a slightly smaller enclosure but still large, slightly easier to build, and extension to at least 12hz. It will cost you more because the driver alone is $500 and then you need a pro amp like the EP4000 and maybe a bump box for the signal. It would likely be right at the edge of your budget. It would probably be capable of peak output to the THT.

A single sealed would cost about the same as the MAX but would take up less space. It might be capable of sub 20hz output at a little less than reference if you have a small well sealed room. You are giving up quite a bit of low end to the MAX.
Some pictures of my room awhile back for the Energy folks....not dedicated as you can see. Need to update them since the room is cleaner now and now have RC70s.

http://vschaos.redlined.org/energy/DSCN1067.JPG
http://vschaos.redlined.org/energy/DSCN1068.JPG
http://vschaos.redlined.org/energy/DSCN1069.JPG
http://vschaos.redlined.org/energy/DSCN1070.JPG
http://vschaos.redlined.org/energy/DSCN1071.JPG
http://vschaos.redlined.org/energy/DSCN1072.JPG

In http://vschaos.redlined.org/energy/DSCN1070.JPG where the picture is in the corner...and CD holder is where the sub would go.
post #283 of 286 Old 01-10-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For the MAX I'd say an EP amp and MIC2200 are a requirement, with the THT a plate amp will get the job done.

Regards,
Dan
post #284 of 286 Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
For the MAX I'd say an EP amp and MIC2200 are a requirement, with the THT a plate amp will get the job done.
For the price of one Mael in your box I could prob do two THT's....cant decide if I want to stack in the corner or not. I can get two LT500 plates to power the THT's for $400.
post #285 of 286 Old 01-10-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Personally I would opt for a 20Hz tapped horn before a THT, but the MAX is still a good choice as it will more than get the job done. Do a MAX loaded with a TC Sounds LMS-R 15" to get the budget down. <---- That's not a compromise.

Regards,
Dan
post #286 of 286 Old 01-10-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Buy once cry once though, I have a dual(actually a triple and quad setup going now) and I really want the sub 20hz material.

Like others I will be moving to a quad sealed setup one of these days because I want the infrasonic stuff but the THT keeps me happy for the time being.

Of course I have to finish my theater but that is a long ways off.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page