DIY ice chest stereo??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 05-27-2008, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last weekend we were tubing down the Guadalupe and I noticed a few people had home made ice chest stereos that they put in the toobs and rocked out down the river. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a good look at it to see how it was built, but they were obviously using marine audio equipment. It looked like they had a few mids and 1 10" or 8" sub. Does anyone know how to build one of these or know where I could get plans to build one? I haven't had much luck searching the net.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 05-27-2008, 04:04 PM

Stereo for the river eh? Seems a little weird. This forum is more about quality sound reproduction, rather than compromised sound reproduction in wet outdoor conditions; you probably won't find much help here.

I really can't see this working out with externally mounted drivers. Perhaps you could stuff a boom box into an ice chest and create some sort of transmission line for the sound so they are not directly exposed to the elements. Past that I'd recommend talking to your friends or wearing a weatherproof iPod.
post #3 of 38 Old 05-27-2008, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

yeah...stereo for the river. There's 100's of people floating down the river in the summer months. You'd be surprised how many girls want to go where the music is. I think it'd be fun to build anyway. Maybe I'm asking this question in the wrong place, I just exhausted all of my resources.

This isn't a cooler stereo...but you get the idea. I'm not going to pay 2k for it either.

http://www.radioraft.com/gallery.html
post #4 of 38 Old 05-27-2008, 04:18 PM

Good idea, one certainly wouldn't want to be distracted by the sounds of nature while floating down a river....
post #5 of 38 Old 05-27-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Heres some drivers if you want to build it yourself http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=310-075
post #6 of 38 Old 05-27-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBS View Post

Good idea, one certainly wouldn't want to be distracted by the sounds of nature while floating down a river....

Haha

basically what i was thinking...

and yeah, take those "waterproof" monitors armystud linked, some sort of battery powered amp... voila?

FIY IMO those girls next to the jamraft or whatever are paid to be in the shot... not to mention 16. If you're looking for girls and music I wouldn't advise a two thousand dollar floatie with some boat cones.
post #7 of 38 Old 05-27-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Nobs, thanks for the helpful reply, but unfortunately I can either listen to people partying or my music...I choose music

Thanks for the link Armystud, but I was kind of looking for something that could be built into the side of the cooler.
post #8 of 38 Old 05-27-2008, 05:03 PM

Listening to you partying with your friends isn't on the menu?
post #9 of 38 Old 05-27-2008, 05:04 PM

You could get some other parts and pieces from a shower radio/cd player...
post #10 of 38 Old 05-27-2008, 05:06 PM

And add this speaker:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=24691649
post #11 of 38 Old 05-27-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080c View Post

And add this speaker:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=24691649

Wow. That's interesting to say the least, I'm boggled by their target market v. demand and that it's available from PE. Something tells me the $600/ea price tag isn't going to go over well with Ben
post #12 of 38 Old 05-27-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexE View Post

Something tells me the $600/ea price tag isn't going to go over well with Ben

I agree! Just depends on how important he feels those floating ladies are...
post #13 of 38 Old 05-27-2008, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
What we need is a remote controlled, self powered, wireless, submersible, 10" coax, with built in Ipod dock, and beer tap.
post #14 of 38 Old 05-27-2008, 08:58 PM

snag a marine battery, a couple of marine boat speaker and a cheap deck and encase it (or get a marine deck).
Since you are going down a river, musicality isn't too high a priority, just something that doesn't sound awful.

I used to run a complete marine setup in my 77 Bronco. normally ran it topless and it rains almost everyday in Gainesville during the summer and the stuff held up fine.
post #15 of 38 Old 05-27-2008, 09:07 PM

Just don't drink the river water - with all that beer and no one getting out of the water to go to the bathroom...
post #16 of 38 Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080c View Post

I agree! Just depends on how important he feels those floating ladies are...

Very true, gotta pay to play
post #17 of 38 Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 AM

look into some marine speakers made by car audio makers such as alpine, kenwood, and so on, use a marine deck from one of those companies also usually has a cover for the face, then build enclosures behind the speakers, get a 10" marine sub and a marine amp and build enclosures into the ice chest. 2 for the speakers, 1 for the sub, thats about as basic as it gets nothing terribly hard.

im purple!
xbl:pumbaa071
psn:antishock
post #18 of 38 Old 05-28-2008, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjdow View Post

Thanks for the link Armystud, but I was kind of looking for something that could be built into the side of the cooler.

If you are looking to diy, what is wrong with the monitors I suggested? They would work about as well as anything. You don't want a speaker to have its motor exposed to the inside of the ice chest, otherwise you will not only dump heat into the ice chest, but subject the back of the speaker to condensation that it was not meant to deal with. You will have to cut holes in the ice chest, but after you mount the speakers, you will have to put some sort of insulating foam around it to maintain your chests R factor. Other than that, it should work great.

Someday I would love to do an ultimate weatherproof hi fi system on a ski boat. Lambda woofers, PHL mids and some B&C tweeters, all totally weatherproof, insanely high output and spl.
post #19 of 38 Old 05-28-2008, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Use plastic (poly) coned drivers, seal everything really well, and maybe a battery and a Sonic Impact T-amp. It should work for what you want.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #20 of 38 Old 05-29-2008, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 View Post

If you are looking to diy, what is wrong with the monitors I suggested? They would work about as well as anything. You don't want a speaker to have its motor exposed to the inside of the ice chest, otherwise you will not only dump heat into the ice chest, but subject the back of the speaker to condensation that it was not meant to deal with. You will have to cut holes in the ice chest, but after you mount the speakers, you will have to put some sort of insulating foam around it to maintain your chests R factor. Other than that, it should work great.

Someday I would love to do an ultimate weatherproof hi fi system on a ski boat. Lambda woofers, PHL mids and some B&C tweeters, all totally weatherproof, insanely high output and spl.

Nothing is wrong with it, I just wanted to build the speakers into the cooler. I intended to use 1 10" sub and 2 6" speakers. I know it can be done because I've seen people with them, but I'm just not sure about the details or the internals of it. If I use marine speakers the condinsation shouldn't be too much of a problem.
post #21 of 38 Old 05-29-2008, 05:46 PM

Not sure how much bass you're going to get back from that single 10 inch in an outdoor setting, but I guess it's better than nothing when you're next to it...
post #22 of 38 Old 05-30-2008, 11:45 AM

I was going to do this, also my freind use to make them and i used to help him out. I also float the guadalupe. This is very simple to do and it still can hold beer not much but it can. I dont have plans for it but I cant help out as best I can it also can play your ipod
post #23 of 38 Old 06-03-2008, 09:53 PM

For the battery, go with one or maybe two (in parallel) Sealed Lead Acid 12v batteries like these....

http://www.zbattery.com/B-B-12V-8Ah-...&category=3031

They will not leak out any acid, even if flipped over.....

As for putting them in the cooler..... Just get a medium sized cooler and use a router or rotozip to cut out holes for two speakers in the lid, or high up on the sides... then use some waterproof silicone caulk around the rim when you seat them in the holes...

Waterproof Speakers...

http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/cart...&action=search

Waterproof Head Units:

http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/35131.html

Let your imagination run wild

You may be able to work with this floating cooler that I saw for $50 here...

http://www.coolfloat.com/

But it might be too small to fit all of the stuff you need for a stereo...

RMG

PS: If you live in Japan or have a friend there, you can just buy this cool waterproof media player:

http://www.digitaltechnews.com/news/...aw33_floa.html

Only $170!
post #24 of 38 Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 PM

i had seen a few of these at the river and a few other places so i decided to give it a try. i got the ice chest for $10 and all the speakers for $40. I think it turned out really well. i had a really nice deck from my last car and so i used it, which allows the ipod to charge while being used which is a big plus. i did alot of brain storming and tried to think of all the bells n whistles that i could add to make this the ultimate ice chest stereo. please give me feed back. i hope this helps you cause i couldnt find anything to use as a guide so i just made it up as i went....

Attachment 147850

Attachment 147849

Attachment 147851
LL
LL
LL
post #25 of 38 Old 07-15-2009, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Looks pretty good. I'm guessing it's no longer useful as a cooler? How much play time do you get out of it? Have you thought of adding solar panels to the top to help with charging and extended play time?

Side note: The faitalpro woofers, including the 12pr300's that Augerpro is selling, are rated for all weather use.
*edit* And they weigh less than 6lbs each.

YID DIY
post #26 of 38 Old 07-15-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

You should look into Lipo batteries over lead acid. Lipo are the best battery you can get now for power to weight ratio. I fly them in my helicopters and they have a TON of power for their size and weight.

The packs im using right now are 2200 mah and they put out a consistant 12 amps for 5 minutes. The packs i use only weigh 7 oz.

If you figure about how many amps the radio pulls and how long you need it to play for you could probobly get a better pack that weighs a whole lot less then a lead acid.

Another good battery is the type those drills builders use when building homes. Those are a little more heavy but pretty common you may have a charger and a few already in your garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsantos
How can you tell a point is a reflection point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper
sit in normal spot
have friend slide mirror on wall
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #27 of 38 Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post

Another good battery is the type those drills builders use when building homes. Those are a little more heavy but pretty common you may have a charger and a few already in your garage.

Lithium Ion

Ah, well, sir, I feel like a, like a slice of butter... melting on top of a big-ol' pile of flapjacks... yeah.
post #28 of 38 Old 07-15-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

Use plastic (poly) coned drivers, seal everything really well, and maybe a battery and a Sonic Impact T-amp. It should work for what you want.

With rubber surround, not foam, preferred.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #29 of 38 Old 07-15-2009, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post

You should look into Lipo batteries over lead acid. Lipo are the best battery you can get now for power to weight ratio. I fly them in my helicopters and they have a TON of power for their size and weight.

The packs im using right now are 2200 mah and they put out a consistant 12 amps for 5 minutes. The packs i use only weigh 7 oz..

When looking to soup up a power wheels, I came across those LiPo batteries. I found some the size of motorcycle batteries, but are pretty expensive!

YID DIY
post #30 of 38 Old 07-15-2009, 11:08 AM

Liked: 11
I have built some stuff like this and the best battery power is to find an old battery and chager from an old bag cell phone. It will run a car radio for hours, then just add a couple of cheap marine speakers. These are easy to come up with and fit in most coolers with ease.

Rotting my brain one movie at a time!

Sony 55A3000

Sony 5100 BD

Mitsu 73837

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page