My new eD custom built sub enclosure arrived - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-31-2008, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My eD custom enclosure just made it here today....and the new finish they just started using ( They actually called me today when they saw Fedex showed the package as delivered to see how it arrived and what I thought of the new finish and enclosure construction ) looks really nice.

Its a very uniform finish that feels bulletproof , and their enclosure was built very well . Here were my build notes for them.......

1. No terminal cup installed. I will be using individual posts for banana jack usage. Will self install

2. Driver = TC Sounds 15" LMS-5400

3. Driver cutout = 14"

4. Flushmount cutout = 15.75 " Spec says 15.65 " but need a little extra clearance for rubber gasket.

5. Mounting depth = 12.25 "

6. Black Odye paint....Skeletal Bracing....Flush mounted driver....roundover edges...sealed enclosure..
.... 19" x 19" x 19" Cube

The program on their website https://www.edesignaudio.com/boxbuilder.php?tab=sealed details for you the EXACT cost as you specify the parameters....no guessing or waiting for a quote at all.

Mine worked out to be ...

159.92 for the basic enclosure
10.00 for roundover edges/corners
30.00 for the new version Odye paint
10.00 for the bracing
10.00 for the flushmounted driver

So total price for all those options incorporated onto the basic enclosure was 219.96 Add 46.26 for shipping and total to my door was only 266.22

I JUST got through getting the exact same size enclosure from Parts Express ( A very nice enclosure as well, but it doesnt come with a flush mounted double thickness front baffle....and the bracing isnt as extensive ) for 189.44 but shipping nailed me for 73.36 ( I dont see how....the eD enclosure weighs more by a measured 5 pounds ??? ) for a delivered total of 262.80...basically the same delivered price as the custom eD

I am extremely impressed by eD's custom enclosure program....I will be buying more from them in the future The new ( Per eD ) Odye paint looks to be a winner as well.

LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-31-2008, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

More pics....
LL
LL
LL
post #3 of 18 Old 05-31-2008, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 187
eD definitely does a good job at a reasonable price on their enclosures. The new finish looks better than the one they did on the enclosure they built for me last year, but I've no complaints about that one, either. My only critique is that I do wish their online form would give you more of the options they readily offer upon asking, such as double-thick baffles.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old 05-31-2008, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

I had called eD prior to using the online build program , and was told to put any special build notes in the comments area provided in the program. Hole sizes ( Ports...terminals ) wont change the price ( Number of driver cutouts is accounted for by the program and it adds the small cost for extra driver cutouts automatically )...but if something you pick is a substantial mod that will affect build materials or weight...they will just call or email you to add the small difference in cost.

When you pick flush mount driver...you automatically get the double thick front baffle by default

post #5 of 18 Old 05-31-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Very sharp, and reasonable for a custom box with shipping I think. Is it 3/4" MDF?

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #6 of 18 Old 05-31-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, that is reasonable. I will keep them in mind when I'm ready for my TC2000 15" setup.

post #7 of 18 Old 05-31-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

Very sharp, and reasonable for a custom box with shipping I think. Is it 3/4" MDF?

You know...it was late last night when I took the pics and I was so pleased with the build quality that I didnt even notice if it was 3/4" or 1" mdf

I just walked over with tape measure in hand and its NOT 3/4".... sure enough it's 1" mdf
All enclosure walls are 1" .....the bracing material is 1" mdf....and the double thick front baffle for flush mounting is 1" as well...giving a solid 2" thick front baffle.

I just took a couple more pics while measuring ......

LL
LL
post #8 of 18 Old 05-31-2008, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Is flush mounted merely an aesthetic modification, or does it add stability?
post #9 of 18 Old 05-31-2008, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofnight View Post

You know...it was late last night when I took the pics and I was so pleased with the build quality that I didnt even notice if it was 3/4" or 1" mdf

I just walked over with tape measure in hand and its NOT 3/4".... sure enough it's 1" mdf
All enclosure walls are 1" .....the bracing material is 1" mdf....and the double thick front baffle for flush mounting is 1" as well...giving a solid 2" thick front baffle.

Wow...impressive. The weights they report at checkout almost seem low for such a box (my 21" cube with 2" baffle came in at 52lbs), but I guess I just never actually weighed an MDF box. Being without wood-cutting stuff at present, this is a tempting option.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #10 of 18 Old 05-31-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts View Post

Is flush mounted merely an aesthetic modification, or does it add stability?

To most it improves the aesthetics , but it also adds a bunch of heft to the front baffle that the driver mounts to....keeping panel generated resonances down like internal bracing.

It also serves another purpose for drivers with really tall surrounds...it sets them back further in the baffle to protect them a little better from accidental damage.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-31-2008, 12:03 PM

wow that is an awesome deal. i will definitely keep them in mind for my next project.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-31-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Nice box man. I like the finish it looks tough and unassuming. The only thing I see is that they could've added some small strengthening to the back panel. No biggie though. I almost went with ED myself, but they were so slammed at the time I decided not to. Their prices are quite reasonable.

post #13 of 18 Old 05-31-2008, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only thing I see is that they could've added some small strengthening to the back panel.

I wonder if they could add something between the "skeleton" brace and the back panel...

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #14 of 18 Old 11-10-2008, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

I wonder if they could add something between the "skeleton" brace and the back panel...

I ordered 2 more enclosures from eD....this time mentioning that I would like extra bracing going to the rear of the enclosure as well as the sides.

They basically made a brace that forms to the shape of the back of the driver....worked out pretty well. I had them use 1" mdf again ( 2" for the front baffle to make the driver flush mounted )....round the edges and the odye paint. These were for the pair of clearance 16Ov.2 I picked up a little while ago....I paid 197.21 per cabinet delivered to my door

post #15 of 18 Old 04-27-2009, 05:15 PM

How did it sound?
post #16 of 18 Old 04-27-2009, 05:44 PM

Are you sure it's MDF? Because eD uses EFS now, for everything else IIRC.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-27-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgboy View Post

Are you sure it's MDF? Because eD uses EFS now, for everything else IIRC.

I think I remember reading that they just recently changed to EFS. The OP ordered his boxes last year, so I assume it was mdf.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #18 of 18 Old 04-27-2009, 06:13 PM

Oh haha, I didn't realize this thread was resurrected from a year ago.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page