Behringer EP2500 How to use - for a novice - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 123 Old 09-06-2008, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 724
For what it's worth, I should post my findings after unplugging everything and starting over again. I figure that's the best way to check. And I found a slight mistake, but not huge.

As mentioned, my first connection yesterday was wrong. It was the STEREO 1/4" adapter. I really wasn't getting anything, even with the sub level at the max of +12.

Well today, after my new XLR adapters were wired up, I hit the same User Mode from yesterday to be sure it was the same...... I just now realized it set the sub back to '2' (my saved user mode for music). Obviously, it changes all settings when you hit the User Mode. I overlooked it being anxious I suppose.

Soooo, I readjusted it back up to +12 and it is a noticable improvement. But, everything is at max again. I still don't think it's giving me too much more than the 100 watts/per I was getting with my other amp. At most, maybe 50%. I think the bass is cleaner though. But that could just be the extra power too.

So I'm admitting a slight mistake, but not much of one at that. So don't rub it in!

The good thing is that I checked and rechecked multiple times tonight and can say without a doubt, this is as good as it gets right now with the setting at max and these connectors.

I don't think I will be satisfied until I test the inputs or see that clip light blink a few times!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 123 Old 09-06-2008, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is it normal for me to get random blips from the sub? Say when the Central Air kicks on?
post #93 of 123 Old 09-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I have 2 seperate sub enclosures that I am running off the Ep2500's 2 channels at 2 ohms.

I see some people are using an RCA to 1/4" Y cable to connect to both inputs on the EP2500. This would be stereo I assume.
I am using an RCA to XLR cable to input 1 on the EP2500 and nothing to input 2. Than I am running the unit in parallel to use one channel for each sub.

Is there any benefit to either way of doing this.
post #94 of 123 Old 09-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Just use a Berhinger feedback destroyer like many others on this forum before your amp will help to get a hotter signal plus you use the equalizer incorporate so you can adjust for your room and sub configuration.

The yellow signal light in front of the amp if like a QSC start to lite at 0,1% of maximum output if my memory serves me well but do not expect to get it steady at all time unless you really watch your movie really loud.

Warning to prevent risk of injuries, you should always be smarter than the equipment you are about to use.
post #95 of 123 Old 09-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Same same, just in your case the Y is done inside the amp when you flicked the switch to parallel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Grits View Post

I have 2 seperate sub enclosures that I am running off the Ep2500's 2 channels at 2 ohms.

I see some people are using an RCA to 1/4" Y cable to connect to both inputs on the EP2500. This would be stereo I assume.
I am using an RCA to XLR cable to input 1 on the EP2500 and nothing to input 2. Than I am running the unit in parallel to use one channel for each sub.

Is there any benefit to either way of doing this.

Warning to prevent risk of injuries, you should always be smarter than the equipment you are about to use.
post #96 of 123 Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm sitting here watching NFL Countdown and washing some clothes.
When the washer teporarily stops and the starts a new part of the cycle I also get a small blip/burp from my sub??
post #97 of 123 Old 09-07-2008, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouack View Post

Just use a Berhinger feedback destroyer like many others on this forum before your amp will help to get a hotter signal plus you use the equalizer incorporate so you can adjust for your room and sub configuration.

The yellow signal light in front of the amp if like a QSC start to lite at 0,1% of maximum output if my memory serves me well but do not expect to get it steady at all time unless you really watch your movie really loud.

X2.

I own both a Behringer Feedback Destroyer and CleanBox. I was using the CleanBox with my Panasonic XR55 receiver to boost the LFE signal to my EP2500 before I got the BFD. With the BFD now in the path, the CleanBox is obsolete in my setup, not being used. The BFD does a great job of boosting (unity gain) the signal.
post #98 of 123 Old 09-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm357 View Post

Im not sure what he talking about neither. You do have your sub wired in parallel for a 4 ohm load, but why would you want to bridge the amp to send 2400w to a single Tempest-X?? And what does the amp being able to do 2 ohms per channel have anything to do with bridging the amp for a 4ohm load? Maybe he thinks you have 2 drivers, but even then.

Dont worry about it. You have it set up the best way for the equipment your using.

I didn't think it was too confusing...

So you understand the "wire the sub to a 4 ohm load" part.

Now if you put the amplifier in bridge mode (with the dip switches) and wire the the sub to the two center posts on the amp, then you're bridging the amp. Now you control the gain with only the channel 1 gain knob. Channel 2 goes all the way down. This effectively presents each channel of the amplifier with a 2 ohm load, half of the total 4 ohm load split across the channels.
post #99 of 123 Old 11-11-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Just curious... Does anyone have any info on what the clip limiter and also the low cut filter actually do?

I turned the clip limiter and the low cut filter (@30Hz) on, and with Roome EQ Wizard, I still get down to 15Hz or so. I can now however playback WOTW at ref level without any clipping or driver maxing...
post #100 of 123 Old 11-11-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Does anyone get an occasional red light from the amp, even with no associated output?
Normal operation in all other respects, just that the red light lights very briefly once in a while.

Lot's of low rent stuff stacked up into a medium rent pile.
post #101 of 123 Old 11-12-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja View Post

Just curious... Does anyone have any info on what the clip limiter and also the low cut filter actually do?

I turned the clip limiter and the low cut filter (@30Hz) on, and with Roome EQ Wizard, I still get down to 15Hz or so. I can now however playback WOTW at ref level without any clipping or driver maxing...

It's not a brick wall filter, it's a (IIRC) 12dB/oct highpass filter at 30hz. You should see this is you run REW with it off, and then on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital desire View Post

Does anyone get an occasional red light from the amp, even with no associated output?
Normal operation in all other respects, just that the red light lights very briefly once in a while.

Nope..never. Methinks you have a bad solder or something similar..

ERICH H - is your channel 2 gain knob all the way down? (I think I remember you saying you're running the amp in bridged mode)

Oh, and for cables.. you can't beat Monoprice's RCA to XLR wires for ~$5 each...

No replacement for displacement...
post #102 of 123 Old 11-13-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo1 View Post

It's not a brick wall filter, it's a (IIRC) 12dB/oct highpass filter at 30hz. You should see this is you run REW with it off, and then on.

Thanks. I'll run REW and compare it to my other graph.

What about the clip limiter?
post #103 of 123 Old 11-13-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Jeff,
be careful not to fry the measurement gear, I nuked one channel of my setup

You should see something close to this
EP2500:

Regards,
Dan
post #104 of 123 Old 02-25-2009, 08:43 PM

Eric H =
Did you ever get this problem fixed? I'm going through the exact same issue, replaced a 80w plate amp w/ the ep2500 and lost about 90% of the power!

Did anyone ever find a solution? I have a Ultragain 2200 mic preamp that I';m going to hook up whenever monoprice mails me the fem to male xlr cable so I can test it tomorrow, or whenever, but if there is a solution, let me know~~
post #105 of 123 Old 02-25-2009, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu99999 View Post

Eric H =
Did you ever get this problem fixed? I'm going through the exact same issue, replaced a 80w plate amp w/ the ep2500 and lost about 90% of the power!

Did anyone ever find a solution? I have a Ultragain 2200 mic preamp that I';m going to hook up whenever monoprice mails me the fem to male xlr cable so I can test it tomorrow, or whenever, but if there is a solution, let me know~~

Yeh, and I'm pretty sure I posted teh reason way back when this thread was going. Not sure why the post isn't here though. I think the site lost a day or two of posts at one pont back then, at least I think I recall that.

Either way, I was basically using the stereo 1/4" adapters, and they should have been mono.

So then I tried the XLR adapters like this one:

That was wrong as well. Dan said it was a grounding issue I guess.

This was the final solution that worked, a mono RCA -- 1/4" mono adapter:

I get no hum, even at 25', so I didn't need to do any grounding.
post #106 of 123 Old 02-28-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu99999 View Post

Eric H =

Your MIC2200 will get you the gain you need. You can use the 1/4" mono's from Radio Shack, but if you have a ground loop hum you will need to fix it.

Regards,
Dan
post #107 of 123 Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If you have a hum problem w/hum using XLR's, try lifting the ground on ONE end. You either have to go into the connector, and unsolder/cut the shield, or the unit and disconnect the appropriate wire.
The same as a ground lift switch.

Lot's of low rent stuff stacked up into a medium rent pile.
post #108 of 123 Old 03-09-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I've just got my EP2500 and I'm getting a hum from I think my RCA->XLR I got from Monoprice. I can hear the hum in my sub and in my speakers. Tried plugging the receiver and amp into different plugs that aren't on the same breaker and Was still getting the noise. After unplugging the RCA I lose the hum. I'm guessing I need to ground the two together? Forgive me but I'm a newb. If I need to run a ground wire between the two, where should I connect the ground wire on the receiver and then the amp? Will this even work?
post #109 of 123 Old 03-09-2009, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I went and bought a ground loop isolator from radioshack. It took care of the hum surprisingly well. It's cheap and cheap looking, but it worked. Now I have a gain issue. With the LFE attenuated +10 and the subwoofer level to +6 it's barely making the signal light on the amp come on. That's with WOTW playing at a low to moderate level. Have a friend who said a direct box might take care of both the issues, but couldn't find one around here anywhere.
post #110 of 123 Old 03-10-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

Well, I went and bought a ground loop isolator from radioshack. It took care of the hum surprisingly well. It's cheap and cheap looking, but it worked. Now I have a gain issue. With the LFE attenuated +10 and the subwoofer level to +6 it's barely making the signal light on the amp come on. That's with WOTW playing at a low to moderate level. Have a friend who said a direct box might take care of both the issues, but couldn't find one around here anywhere.

Brandonnash:
My EP2500 is paired with an older Onkyo TX-SR601 using a 1/4" RCA mono adapter.....it had some hum, reduced it by bonding the chassis externally of the EP and the Onkyo (the older quality "gold" stereo RCA patch cord I am using actually had an integrated/external wire for such purposes, never used until now) - just find an available rear screw on both units and bond. Now hum is only noticeable if you hold your ear up to sub cabinet (not recommended). In use is Channel 1 only, gain all the way up, my receiver is set to subwoofer +6DB (max +12DB). Also have a little EQ applied with a ED eQ.2, running a single Peerless 12" 830500 in a 1.5 cu. ft. sealed (very efficient sub). Always use quality cables (HT lesson 101).

That Ratshack item could be not only attenuating but affecting response curve as well. If bonding the equipment does not help there are other options...from my reading here an ART cleanbox: http://www.amazon.com/ART-CleanBOX-2.../dp/B0002E56LW (modded for low FR) will do the job, there are other equipment options as well......good luck, let us know of your resolution.
post #111 of 123 Old 03-10-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkman2 View Post

Brandonnash:
My EP2500 is paired with an older Onkyo TX-SR601 using a 1/4" RCA mono adapter.....it had some hum, reduced it by bonding the chassis externally of the EP and the Onkyo (the older quality "gold" stereo RCA patch cord I am using actually had an integrated/external wire for such purposes, never used until now) - just find an available rear screw on both units and bond. Now hum is only noticeable if you hold your ear up to sub cabinet (not recommended). In use is Channel 1 only, gain all the way up, my receiver is set to subwoofer +6DB (max +12DB). Also have a little EQ applied with a ED eQ.2, running a single Peerless 12" 830500 in a 1.5 cu. ft. sealed (very efficient sub). Always use quality cables (HT lesson 101).

That Ratshack item could be not only attenuating but affecting response curve as well. If bonding the equipment does not help there are other options...from my reading here an ART cleanbox: http://www.amazon.com/ART-CleanBOX-2.../dp/B0002E56LW (modded for low FR) will do the job, there are other equipment options as well......good luck, let us know of your resolution.

Thanks. I think what I'm gonna do is try a couple different things either I or a friend has. He was in pro audio for a few years and said he's always had problems going from consumer to pro level. He's used a small dj mixer to boost signal before, so he let me borrow it since he's no longer using it. It worked in boosting the signal using the phono input to it, but the mixer has a bass and treble knob (processing) that can't be turned off. The signal is getting processed at my receiver and then at the mixer, so that's out. It gave me an idea. Since the phono input on the mixer worked, but sounds like junk because of the added bass and treble, I thought why not try a straight phono pre amp? Shouldn't have any processing right? Should theoretically just boost the signal with no internal eq. I think I may have one of those laying around. If that doesn't work I'll go looking for a 1124p feedback destroyer. I have read that it would generally fix all the problems I have had. Just wanted to get it working as soon as I could with stuff I have laying around. Didn't want to have to order something else and wait another week before it's working. Been waiting long enough.
post #112 of 123 Old 03-13-2009, 12:37 PM

Sorry if I missed it but did not see a link for this, for a RCA to XLR connector I would assume this would work just fine?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Varies in distance depending on need.
post #113 of 123 Old 03-13-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKEW View Post
Sorry if I missed it but did not see a link for this, for a RCA to XLR connector I would assume this would work just fine?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Varies in distance depending on need.
BKEW:

It will "work"... however, it is likely the XLR pins may not be connected as desired, shown in post #9. I purchased a 1/4" stereo (TRS) phone plug>rca jack adapter from Ratshack and checked it with my VOM. The "sleeve" of the RCA jack is connected to the sleeve (S) of the 1/4"...the Tip and Ring are both connected to the "tip" (+) of the RCA jack. Undesired. In all likelihood that adapter cable on Monoprice would be wired similar (XLR pins 2-3 tied to RCA tip). I built a XLR male>RCA plug myself (from a mic cable laying around) and connected, trying both the shield connected and unconnected, but still have the hum, albeit very low (note: I will do more experimentation over the weekend. I am running through a ED eQ.2).

See attached file downloaded from site from previous post in this thread for more info.....very informative. Note that configurations 17 and 18 are not "off the shelf" cables.

Sound System Interconnection.pdf 423.5810546875k . file
post #114 of 123 Old 03-14-2009, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 338
I have two rca to 1/4 90 degree cables at around 15 feet each that eliminated the hum from my ep2500's. I don't use them anymore because my amps are only a few feet away now and I'm using a cleanbox and had to go with XLR.

Pm me if anyone is interested, they are the proper ones for pro amps.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #115 of 123 Old 12-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Running two THT's with two Dayton 15's. What do I need to set the mode switched to?

This is how I have it setup right now.

Add your favorite bass-heavy movies here; http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/
post #116 of 123 Old 12-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

^^^^^^^^^^ Anyone?

post #117 of 123 Old 12-31-2009, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You can leave it like that - the clip limiters won't make too much difference given that the amp won't be pushed hard enough with those THT's to run into clipping issues. You'll probably be murdered by the wife due to extreme volume levels well before the amp clips
post #118 of 123 Old 01-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks ! I hope that she leaves today so I can test it out! So far, I have my bass turned all the way down on my receiver and I'm being blown away. Gain knobs are at the 9 oclock position on the EP4000. Can I just keep inching them down until the bass smoothes out?

For some reason, I thought I needed to keep the gain knobs set on kill in order to get a good signal from my receiver.

post #119 of 123 Old 01-01-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Yep, keep backing off the gain until you find a good balance.
post #120 of 123 Old 01-01-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

AS,

What receiver are you running?

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby