New Sub and Speaker Build (ZDT3.5) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I am currently in progress of building my new HT sub, ZDC3.5 and ZDT3.5 speakers.

First project I got into a testing phase was the sub
Its a shiva-x in a slot ported enclosure tuned to 18Hz.

Pics
http://pics.allthatremains.org/main....cts/subwoofer/

When I first finished the sub for testing and hooked it up, girl looked and listened to it then turned to me and said...

When's the rest of the speakers going to be done

Today I taken the sub out to the garage to attach the wood top to it, and ask where is the sub? It go finish and hook it back up. She must really like it .

Any case My second project was the center channel from Zaph's ZDT3.5 design. This is of course the center channel version. I built the box myself, and it is of a sealed design. I need to flip the front baffle on it though to orient the tweeter lower.

http://pics.allthatremains.org/main....enter_channel/

I trimmed the corners with solid wood to hide the layers of the plywood. I think I am going to redo the finish on it as it needs a bit of a glassy sheen to it.

So far I am very pleased with the sound of the sub woofer and center channel. It really makes watching movies all that more enjoyable. Up next is finishing the looks of the subwoofer, and completing the ZDT3.5 towers. After that take my current speakers and redo them for use as rears.

Now if I can talk my girlfriend into a second sub for us. Just need that little extra oomph to make it all perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-19-2008, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Sub almost completed now .
post #3 of 18 Old 10-20-2008, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

didnt see this before; very nice job! That center looks awfully high up; might want to flip it so the tweeter is under the mid.
post #4 of 18 Old 10-20-2008, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero the hero View Post

didnt see this before; very nice job! That center looks awfully high up; might want to flip it so the tweeter is under the mid.

Thanks. I have since correct that and flipped the center. I had placed it upside to begin with when i took the picture. Sub is currently undergoing final paint and stain
post #5 of 18 Old 10-20-2008, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 240
the sub looks great!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #6 of 18 Old 10-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Is that leather covering the box? Whatever it is, I agree, it looks great! Fabric/leather are such a cool option for speakers, that I'm surprised we don't see more of it with DIY builders. Many people seem to want to emulate commercial speakers in terms of finish. I say where's the fun in that?!
post #7 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gilbert View Post

Is that leather covering the box? Whatever it is, I agree, it looks great! Fabric/leather are such a cool option for speakers, that I'm surprised we don't see more of it with DIY builders. Many people seem to want to emulate commercial speakers in terms of finish. I say where's the fun in that?!

Not sure what kind of material it is. I just found a fabric store not to far from where i live that had a great select of fabrics and upholstery for cars. They even had a carbon fiber one that I was tempted to try and use. In the end I opted for this one for its color, soft to the touch feel and its price of only 7.50 a yard
post #8 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 PM

Nice sub. Some day a future project for me but I am going to build a ZDC3.5 myself next week.

I just ordered the parts from Parts Express for my ZDC3.5. I don't have cabinet making tools or skills so I will use the 1 cubic foot box from Parts Express. The piano black is better than I could ever do and this pretty much makes this a pretty easy assembly. A friend of mine with a router will do the holes in the front baffel for me.

The RS52 2" midrange dome is out of stock so I have it back ordered. Must be a very popular mid range or a lot of other people are also making the ZD3.5s.

Anyway, my center channel positioning will also be high. It will be above the Samsung 46" TV on a shelf about 5 ft above my head position when I am sitting down in front of the TV. The chair position is about 12 ft in front of the TV.

I am planning on tilting the center channel down toward my head using a string as a guide to make the angle correct for the sitting position. Your idea of putting the tweeter on the bottom - have you noticed any difference. Should it be on the bottom for me too?

What do you think of my plan to tilt the front of the speaker to my sitting position? Is this a good idea and will this enhance the sound? Any negatives I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Usil
post #9 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usil View Post

Nice sub. Some day a future project for me but I am going to build a ZDC3.5 myself next week.

I just ordered the parts from Parts Express for my ZDC3.5. I don't have cabinet making tools or skills so I will use the 1 cubic foot box from Parts Express. The piano black is better than I could ever do and this pretty much makes this a pretty easy assembly. A friend of mine with a router will do the holes in the front baffel for me.

The RS52 2" midrange dome is out of stock so I have it back ordered. Must be a very popular mid range or a lot of other people are also making the ZD3.5s.

Anyway, my center channel positioning will also be high. It will be above the Samsung 46" TV on a shelf about 5 ft above my head position when I am sitting down in front of the TV. The chair position is about 12 ft in front of the TV.

I am planning on tilting the center channel down toward my head using a string as a guide to make the angle correct for the sitting position. Your idea of putting the tweeter on the bottom - have you noticed any difference. Should it be on the bottom for me too?

What do you think of my plan to tilt the front of the speaker to my sitting position? Is this a good idea and will this enhance the sound? Any negatives I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Usil

Definitely tilt the speaker toward your listening position, it makes a difference in sound. As for the tweeter, I really did not listen to it with it up, I just took a picture of it that way. I did flip it over when i realized this.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Definitely tilt the speaker toward your listening position, it makes a difference in sound.

it depends on your listening distance and the verticle dispertion of the tweeter actually more then just titling something.

There is no reason to tilt it if you are already sitting its range.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #11 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Penn you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Here is an idea of the lobing for this speaker:

As you can see Zaph has taken care to have a decently large lobe centered fairly close to the center axis. Now depending on how high (or low) the speaker is compared to the listening position, and considering how optimum you want the placement, you could try anywhere from no tilt to tilting fairly directly at the listening position. As you can see the lobe is tilted up so flipping the speaker upside down (tweeter on the bottom) if it is mounted above the TV is a reasonable suggestion. If the speaker is mounted very low beneath the TV then obviously you would keep the tweeter on top.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the inputs.

I have been thinking about how I was going to tip the speaker as this is not going to be straight forward. The angle looks to be about 35 to 40 degrees from the center of the speaker to my head position. As there are heavy speakers all positioned in the front, at this angle it is likely that it will tip over onto the speaker baffel. And since the speaker will sit at the front edge of the shelf this would be disastrous.

So, how to do this safely?

Usil
post #13 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It doesn't have to be exactly pointed at your head. The speaker is pretty good from +20/-10 degrees or so. Tip up the back an inch or two and that should get you within that window.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have it tilted that much, perhaps 20 degrees. It was enough to get the desired effect.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-25-2008, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Final Finished pics

post #16 of 18 Old 10-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Back when I was in university I built a 100liter sub and sewed a green camaflouge "sock" for it.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-25-2008, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc View Post

Back when I was in university I built a 100liter sub and sewed a green camaflouge "sock" for it.

cool. how did it sound?
post #18 of 18 Old 11-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Enough to scare terrorists away. I was one of the firsts with the venerable Shiva. Ported box was tuned to 19hz. At the time nothing on the market less than $800 could hold a candle to it.
The driver was $215 (paid alot for shipping to canada)
$60 3/4" sheet of MDF
$0 vintage Sansui amp.
Glue, nails, 1x1"s, and help getting 80lbs worth of sub to the HT.

It sucks at music. Can't describe the sound but then again it was designed for HT.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page