How to connect speaker wire to 3.5mm mini jack? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there any adaptor to connect two speaker wires into a 3.5mm mini jack?
tyrant24 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayaray View Post

Is there any adaptor to connect two speaker wires into a 3.5mm mini jack?

Absolutely. Head over to Radio Shack and they'll hook you up. Or goto www.radioshack.com

They aren't as good as they were back in the day. But they still have a few things. Enough to get you going.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #3 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

I called radioshack and they have no product for this.
The only thing they have is radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102956
But what I want is to hook a lugs into a mini jack slot.
post #4 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 08:47 PM

Liked: 10
Well, I have NEVER seen a cable like you are asking about, but you certainly could get it done if you wire it up yourself. you would have to get a raw mini jack, and either connect the bare wire to that, or I think it would be easier if you threw an RCA head on the end of each wire, and got a 3.5mm-Stereo RCA cable...

What exactly is it you are trying to get done? I am guessing something along the lines of connect a PC to HT speakers?

Also, realize, most 3.5mm plugs are NOT powered...so you would need to have external power running to these speakers, such as monitors, or something else with its own power cord.

Anyways, good luck with this! :-)
post #5 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am connecting PC to HT speaker, and since the speaker has internal amp, I can connect to it directly.
But the problem is that the speaker only has speaker wire with lugs on it, and
I can not get off that cable, can not change to RCA or what ever, so I have to find some way to convert
speaker wire to mini jack.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

You say it has an amp inside it, yet it's giving you speaker leads? Dollars to dimes, it doesn't have an amp in it then. This doesn't make sense. Unless the amp is a sub-like amp with speaker level inputs, in which case it's expecting some power to come into it, not line level. Are you sure there's no RCA inputs (line level) on the amp? If there is you just need a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Otherwise, i'm pretty sure there's no amp inside the speaker, as there's just twin lead wire...

EDIT: Are you thinking of crossover and not amp built-in? It's common for speakers to have 2-3 way crossovers depending on the amount of drivers in the speaker... But these are passive devices, not amps...
post #7 of 21 Old 01-02-2009, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I agree with goobenet.

What's the make and model of the speakers you are trying to hook up? That would help clear things up a bit.

Mike

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #8 of 21 Old 01-03-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

It's a Cambridge SoundWorks SurroundWorks Speaker System.
The sub has amp inside so that I can use line level output from my PC.
But the input of the sub is a special D-Sub which is used to connect to their special DVD player which I do not have.
They also provide an adapter to convert that D-sub to 5 pairs of speaker wires with lugs
and 1 RCA for sub channel.
For RCA, I can find adaptor to convert to 3.5mm mini jack. But for speaker wire,
I still can not find the solution, and I don't know how to solder.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

You won't need to solder to get this done. Basically you need a few 3.5mm to RCA adapters. The 3.5mm jacks go into your soundcard, and you simply cut the RCA jacks from the end, cut the lugs off the speaker system adapter and wire them as follows:

Center wire of former RCA adapter -> red wire of speakers, outside wire of RCA -> black wire of speakers. Do the same for all pairs, inside the RCA adapter the center wires are white for left, red for right. Just wrap the copper ends together and insulate each wire separately with electrical tape.

I hope they DID use different colors on the amp inputs, right? A picture would really help. Btw, don't you hate proprietary connectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-03-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Just wrap the 2 wires together?
Doesn't that affect the sound quality?
post #11 of 21 Old 01-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayaray View Post

Just wrap the 2 wires together?
Doesn't that affect the sound quality?

Not at all, at least certainly not on audio gear of this level. It's just that it looks ghetto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-05-2009, 05:37 PM

I actually bought this same set of speakers and am trying to do the same thing. The ideas above sound like they would work (the splicing of the rca cable). The main issue I see when connecting to the PC is that there are only 3 3.5mm mini jack outputs on my soundcard/pc to do the following:

1) center & sub
2) left & right front speakers
3) left & right rear speakers

So...it seems that to use a generic 3.5mm mini jack might be difficult to get all the connections. I was about to return this thing back to the Cambridge Soundworks, but did a bit of searching and came across this:

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=0&subcategory=&product=14309&nav=1

Now, I think I should be able to do everything mentioned above and split the RCA and wire them to the proprietary connector adaptor that converts to speaker wife inputs. This should work, no?. $15 bucks to try it out is worth it...at worst, I destroy the cable and just return this thing before my 30 days are up. This shouldn't hurt the speaker system, should it?

Thanks for your input!
post #13 of 21 Old 11-30-2009, 09:11 PM

I have a similar question - I acquired the subwoofer only of a Boston Acoustics MM 226 Computer Speaker set. The subwoofer is the central component - there is supposed to be a 3.5 mm connection from the PC to the subwoofer, a control box with a cable that connects via what looks like a PS/2 connector for power/volume control, aux in, and headphone out, and then 3.5 mm jacks to the two satellite speakers - I guess there's an amp in the subwoofer case:

I can get the control box from Boston Acoustic's parts department for $8, but the satellites are $35 each, which starts to make the project more expensive than I'd like. If I get a pair of satellite speakers off of ebay that have regular loose speaker cable ends, could I hook them up to some Radio Shack 3.5mm males and have it work?

Many thanks for any help!

-thomas
post #14 of 21 Old 11-30-2009, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I wanted to use a powered sub that has rcas on the amp to use as my laptop speaker setup.. I had 2 bookshelf speakers hooked up to it and used an rca cable from the back of the sub, to the jack on my computer using this adapter

$ 0.61

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #15 of 21 Old 02-09-2013, 08:26 PM

I found an easy way that worked for me. I have a wireless speaker, Ion Road Rocker, with built in amp and internal rechargeable battery. It is not loud enough. I bought a Lepai mini amplifier. It has RCA and 3.5 mm audio inputs, but the only output is four connectors for bare speaker wire L =/- and R +/-. In order to play an MP3 player through the amp to the speaker I needed to have a connection with a 3.5 mm plug on one end and four bare wires on the other like you need. The MP3 plugs into the amplifier with a 3.5 mm port, speakers plug into the amplifier with bare wires. Sound goes from MP3 through amp which boosts it on to the speaker.

Solution: I took an audio cable with 3.5mm plug on one end and two RCA plugs on the other (red and white/left and right). I cut off the RCA plugs and stripped each wire. There are two smaller wires inside each outer wire cover; one with bare copper strands and one with red insulation. The other has the bare copper strands and white coated strands. This makes the four speaker wires. I stripped the red and white, plugged red and bare into Left +/- , and white and bare into RIght +/- of the amplifier outputs to speaker. I plugged the 3.5 mm end into the 3.5 mm input port on the wireless speaker 3.5 mm port. I took a cable with a 3.5mm plug on each end. Then i plugged one end into my iPhone 's headphone jack and the other 3.5 mm end into the audio input on the amp. I plugged in the amp, turned on the speaker, and played music on my iPhone. Now I have more powerful sound from the wireless speaker.

post #16 of 21 Old 02-09-2013, 08:30 PM

I forgot to mention. To coat the stripped wires I used liquid electrical tape you paint on. You can get it at any hardware store or auto parts store. You must make sure none of the bare wires touch each other or you lose sound and may damage your stuff. I have found the electrical tape is hard to use on small wires and eventually starts to come off and collects dirt and lent.
post #17 of 21 Old 06-18-2013, 03:20 PM

ok, im having problems, this solution solves half the problem but the other half is powering my speakers, they would normaly be powered through the sound cable (i assume). is there a way i can power them while using this method?
post #19 of 21 Old 11-25-2013, 11:12 PM

post #20 of 21 Old 11-25-2013, 11:13 PM

post #21 of 21 Old 12-19-2013, 03:19 PM