post #391 of 414 Old 03-31-2009, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricci View Post

heh. I kid about the wotw's thing with all of the subs... I kid.

so 2 channel material only? I didn't know if there would be some movie demo scenes or what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidcars View Post

hehehehe. I think you were kidding about the wotw's thing with all of the subs... I kid.

So 2 channel material only? I didn't know if there would be some movie demo scenes or what.

wth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 414 Old 03-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

wth?

I dunno, man but I cannot read these GTG threads anymore without thinking about someone getting copper wire stuck in their eye.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #393 of 414 Old 03-31-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I hope nothing like that will happen at my gtg. I am hoping that we won't have any assembling of speakers going on but you never know. Last minute things do happen.
post #394 of 414 Old 03-31-2009, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I dunno, man but I cannot read these GTG threads anymore without thinking about someone getting copper wire stuck in their eye.

Hahah Its still there too....
post #395 of 414 Old 03-31-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:

Hahah Its still there too....

How is that anyway?

Almost all of the purple has grown out of my fingernail.
post #396 of 414 Old 03-31-2009, 01:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Haha I was thinking Three Stooges when I first read about all the eye gouging and finger smashing.
post #397 of 414 Old 04-04-2009, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricci View Post
heh. I kid about the wotw's thing with all of the subs... I kid.

so 2 channel material only? I didn't know if there would be some movie demo scenes or what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidcars View Post
hehehehe. I think you were kidding about the wotw's thing with all of the subs... I kid.

So 2 channel material only? I didn't know if there would be some movie demo scenes or what.

wth?

He did that on my meet page too. Bot??? Posts and runs.
post #398 of 414 Old 04-04-2009, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

How is that anyway?

Almost all of the purple has grown out of my fingernail.

All better.... no worries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbeaver View Post

Haha I was thinking Three Stooges when I first read about all the eye gouging and finger smashing.

It was better in person...

He did that on my meet page too. Bot??? Posts and runs.[/quote]

Yeah, I didn't know what to make of that... weirded me out...
post #399 of 414 Old 04-17-2009, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
i just read through this thread again. very interesting.

thanks warp for hosting. props to everybody else who helped to make it a success and to those folks who posted comparative info.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #400 of 414 Old 04-17-2009, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks LTD02, it was a goot time and leaning experience...

Not an easily tackled project if there isn't enough time alotted, I wish we could have gone longer and started earlier, but things just didn't line up that way... I didn't think it would come out that way, but it did... My woman was not feeling very well and things kinda started to shut down before I wanted them to...

Time fly's by at these events, and next thing you know its over...
post #401 of 414 Old 05-04-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
This is off topic for the thread, but this is the population of people (SE WI AV enthusiasts) that can potentially help me:

RE: Remote Control for: HVAC / anamorphic lens / CineSlide / etc - integration - SE WI?

Any idea of installers in the SE Wisconsin area (I live in Delafield/near Waukesha, WI) that are facile at providing universal remote/automation solutions for the following:

- HVAC control (for basement only)
- lighting
- components (that's the easy part)
- integrating controls for CineSlide/ISCOIIIL/vertical stretch/Lumagen RadianceXE

There are certainly installers around that can offer universal remotes, Control 4, Creston and AMX (...etc) control systems, but I am not sure how many are used to integrating anamorphic lenses, etc.

I just got my ISCOIIIL and CineSlide installed Sunday thanks to help from my carpenter and Wayne (funlvr1965). I have an Oppo BDP-83 ordered with RS232 mod and a Lumagen Radiance XE and calibration set for 5/16/09.

Thanks for any leads.

Mike
post #402 of 414 Old 05-05-2009, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is a good question Mike, I wish I had some answers for you....

I'll check around in the area for what I can find for you buddy....

Have you searched google for "Milwaukee home theater installation"
post #403 of 414 Old 05-05-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

That is a good question Mike, I wish I had some answers for you....

I'll check around in the area for what I can find for you buddy....

Have you searched google for "Milwaukee home theater installation"

Warpdrv -

Here is one reference I got for a place in Chicago:
http://www.icx-inc.com/

If I just do an indiscriminate HT install search I'm sure I'll come up with a lot of places.
Also, I think most installers will SAY they can do anything I ask.
I am looking for someone who has experience with anamorphic lenses, etc.

It probably isn't that difficult to create a macro to do the things I'm thinking about, but I hate it when I know more about AV stuff then the "professional" custom installer.
Flanner's and some other places in the area had never installed a 2.40:1 screen or anamorphic lens.
I ended up doing most of the work myself (with help from friends and fellow AVSers).

Thanks,

Mike
post #404 of 414 Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah its not very fun when you have as much or more knowledge then your supposed installers, they most of the time take a different path to implementation that is much easier for them, and tell the customer, "You don't want to do it that way" so they don't have to deal with the complications.

I know in my area there is a pretty big outfit called Techteriors http://www.techteriors.com/ Not sure if they came up on your list, but give them a shout, they have numerous trucks all over the place, and seem pretty technically adept...
post #405 of 414 Old 05-06-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yeah its not very fun when you have as much or more knowledge then your supposed installers, they most of the time take a different path to implementation that is much easier for them, and tell the customer, "You don't want to do it that way" so they don't have to deal with the complications.

I know in my area there is a pretty big outfit called Techteriors http://www.techteriors.com/ Not sure if they came up on your list, but give them a shout, they have numerous trucks all over the place, and seem pretty technically adept...

Warpdrv -

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I've been there.
I had a projector ceiling mount installed by them and they charged me labor for a guy to drive from a long ways away to come and install it.
I hadn't been told that before hand -- and the store is only a few miles away from my house. The installer also asked my carpenter (who came over to help) to go get more parts.
I wasn't excited by that service.
They eventually adjusted my bill, but I did get the feeling they could/would promise anything and then deliver a pre-determined product.

They weren't very helpful when I was discussing ISCO/CineSlide or non-Stewart screens +/- masking systems.

The experience might be different with their remote/integration stuff.
I have gotten Control 4 ads from them.

They are in the mix.

A neighbor has a very high end Crestron system from an installer in Hartland.
I have to find out that name.
I don't think I need something that involved or costly, but it sounds like a great install place.

Other places I've used:
- TechTerriors - projector mount install
- Flanners - Middle Atlantic rack install / eval for screen, etc. but did myself
- Full Compass (near Madison) - no install, but advice on rack stuff

Pending:
- HT seats (just mailed a check to Roman S. (rsh @ AVS) - previously looked at Colders
- calibration - Craig Rounds from Chicago
- a friends TV calibration - Tony (SOWK @ AVS)

Mike
post #406 of 414 Old 05-06-2009, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thats too bad, they are a local company around here I see quite a bit, I have never used their services so I honestly couldn't offer services history. I'm a DIY kinda guy...

Some day, I'll have a HT setup that will require me to sub out all the work, just gotta wait for that really big monthly check to start showing up...
post #407 of 414 Old 05-16-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Big bump... I was going through the area and Warpdrv was kind enough to let me have a listen to his system as well as we went out later on for supper. ( many hours driving )

Pictures don't do it justice IMO, and I do have to say that the Maelstrom-x pictures on the web don't convey how nice they actually look in person. We had his place a rockin playing some tunes.

I have to say that with enough power, the Maelstrom-x shines. We were getting a bit crazy at times, and one made a few complaining noise, although up to that point they are very clean.

Also, before I swung through there, I hit up John J @AE in Green Bay Wisconsin, he gave me a tour of the facilities, there is a lot of equipment there, a few lathes for turning steel and a big magnetizer.

Lambda TD drivers in person are quite stunning! There is a lot of hand machining that is done to the individual parts before anything is plated or assembled.

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #408 of 414 Old 05-16-2009, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Michael, it was nice to meet you, and glad that you could make it. I learned alot with some of our discussions, I had a hot date so I had to bail a bit earlier then I wanted to, but my son was there to keep the entertainment going for a little while more... Too many women so little time , I think Michael can attest to how much fun I like to have with the ladies... Hahhaha Ya caught me workin my magic...

I hope things come together on sunday so we can go audition the Klipsch Palladiums, they looks so freakin sweet, an owner lives very close to me and I had set it up to get an audition worked out...

I had the SMS dialed up a touch higher for output then I have ever taken the Mal-X's before, and man it was getting pretty dam loud in there, and with my room sitting on joists, that place flexes and vibrates enourmously, which I really like, its a great additional viceral effect for music and movies to be sure...

I'm really happy with the Mal-X's with the right power behind them....
post #409 of 414 Old 05-18-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like you guys had fun. What the hell you doing down that far south Mike? Vacation?

Next time I'm up that way I'm dropping in on you Pat.

Did the Palladium audition go through?
post #410 of 414 Old 05-18-2009, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ricci, I went to a concert in Chicago, Disturbed / Lacuna Coil / Killswitch Engage and Chimaira.

It was... sweet.

LL

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #411 of 414 Old 05-19-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah the audition of the Palladiums took place, but it was pretty late on a Sunday evening, and with the kids present and close to bedtime, so it was pretty tamed down.

I think the Palladiums are beautiful, and they sounded pretty good but IMO speakers really need to be drivin hard for me to hear what they are made of, hopefully next time.....

In the 4-4500^3 room there was only a SVS 20-39 for a sub, I think Damon is in need of an upgrade in the sub dept...

Beyond that - they are freakin huge at 56" tall and 2ft deep....

Maybe next time we can run em out a bit louder...
post #412 of 414 Old 05-19-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah the audition of the Palladiums took place, but it was pretty late on a Sunday evening, and with the kids present and close to bedtime, so it was pretty tamed down.

I think the Palladiums are beautiful, and they sounded pretty good but IMO speakers really need to be drivin hard for me to hear what they are made of, hopefully next time.....

Maybe next time we can run em out a bit louder...

Yeah and they are Klipsch's, which almost beg to get turned up a little bit extra.
post #413 of 414 Old 05-10-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythmik View Post

Patrick,
Allow me to indulge myself. I cannot help

Low inductance by itself has no meaning. It needs to be considered against the motor strength and the moving mass of the driver. Eventually it will be plotted as impedance curve and weighted against the motional impedance the same way that we scale impedance by (BL)^2/Re. For instance, assuming the BL value is same, a driver with half moving mass has a similar impedance curve as another driver with full moving mass, but half the inductance. A driver with low moving mass and high motor strength can tolerate a higher inductance. The low inductance "should" give us a more intimate sound as it should sound like the sub can follow every turn of the music signal. This is orthogonal to the sound quality of a sub with low distortion which is smooth and non-fatiguing.

In T/S equivalent electrical circuit or the impedance curve, the mass is represented as a capacitor. The inductance is opposite of capacitor. We should design more carefully when we see a capacitor connecting to an inductor. Physical, the inductor can "undo" the effect of capacitor as their phase is 180degrees opposite. In the same equivalent circuit, lower moving mass gives us lower capacitor (higher reactive impedance). The voice coil inductance makes the reactive impedance lower and the system will sound as if it has a higher moving mass.

Also the voice coil inductance is not a regular inductance. It is called semi-inductance due to the impact of eddy current in the pole piece with its inductance value decreases as square root of frequency (regular inductance has reactance proportional to frequency, semi-inductance has reactance proportional to square root of frequency). In addition, various inductance reduction techniques have different degree of effectiveness at different frequency band. Compare their values at 20khz, or even 1khz is not correct. The best way to do it is to find the actual impedance plot and try to curve fit the inductance value that will give us the same impedance minimal saddle point which is normally between 60hz to 150hz. That is the region more relevant to the sub's operation.

i just re-read this post. three years ago, it didn't make sense to me. it is making more sense now. better late than never. :-)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #414 of 414 Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

i just re-read this post. three years ago, it didn't make sense to me. it is making more sense now. better late than never. :-)

Yeah. Thanks to some long time reading on the subject and teachings from Josh Ricci, I now like to examine the impedance plot of said bass drivers to see the true effect of inductance. Many of us understand that it is not a static number but if one looks at the impedance you can really see how those numbers affect things.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page