SE WI Sub shootout.... - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2009, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
We can certainly try to make that happen, but the room I was planning on using for the shootout is not a dedicated room for anything, but we can try to set that up.

Its a 3000 or so cu ft room that should allow us to have the room for all the subs and I was thinking it was going to be a 2 channel scenario. I can implement a 5 channel scenario on the fly if we need to. I usually stream all my music and movies over the network, and I have about 140gig of music on my servers and tons of movies as well, which stream 5.1. My all time favorite go to deep and powerful bass is David Gilmour Royal Albert Hall "Time" in 5.1.... OMG

Otherwise Jr has tons of Bass tunes in his own folders.... although I welcome the idea of new material...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Heh. I kid about the WOTW's thing with all of the subs... I kid.

So 2 channel material only? I didn't know if there would be some movie demo scenes or what.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'd like to make the trek, but 12 hours... damn... that would mean at least a day in travel... about 3 days in total off work. Not sure I can swing it, with my brother dumping the business in my lap and heading out of the country as well. I 'hope' to be able to swing it, but as of the moment, it's not looking good.

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
Old 01-27-2009, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Like I say, some of that movie stuff is just made perfectly to test the performance of the subs like Transformers - Ironhide Jump scene, or plenty of other stuff, so I will have to figure out which way to go here, even if the screen is only a 24" computer monitor if thats ok, I pretty much figured we weren't there to watch movies, just to use it as a time index and frame access reference.

I also need that config for my gui to access my files on the network.

Michael, jump on a plane baby... Its a business expense...
Old 01-27-2009, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post

I'd like to make the trek, but 12 hours... damn... that would mean at least a day in travel... about 3 days in total off work. Not sure I can swing it, with my brother dumping the business in my lap and heading out of the country as well. I 'hope' to be able to swing it, but as of the moment, it's not looking good.

You know you want to Mike.

I'm turning it into 4days or so. I've got a 7hr drive so me and a close friend are (tentatively)chucking up to Chicago Wednesday night after work and kickin it there Thursday and part of Friday, then moving on into WI in time for a Drop Kick Murphy's show in Milwaukee that night. Sat commences the real business and then we head back some time Sunday.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Michael, jump on a plane baby... Its a business expense...

I would have to drive... as I don't have a passport yet, and it would take some time to get one.

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
Old 01-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
mike, you could take the slightly longer way and swing down through Green Bay. BTW, i will have AV12's ready tomorrow if you are still interested.

John

John E. Janowitz
Acoustic Elegance, LLC
"Learn from the mistakes of others... you can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself"
Old 01-28-2009, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Glasgow baby! Ever hear of a band called Luther?

No. What do they play? PM me with some of their names. I might know them.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Are we letting the subwoofers rip in a raw form without EQ correction applied or are we going to try to smooth them out prior to listening to each one? We'll need to match them all to the same basic level as well.

John,

Are you bringing any kind of a rough measurement set-up with you? I was just wondering because I'm going to bring my laptop and REW stuff. I was thinking about doing just a very simple and quick, close mic FR sweep of each subwoofer and then getting another one of each subwoofer's response at the listening area when it's in position. Just for something to correlate with what we hear. Plus I want to see what the upper end extension of the various drivers involved looks like and what the room does. With 9 different subwoofers that's about all there will be time for anyway.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm looking forward to everyone's report on this shootout. I'm still undecided on what to replace my current sono sub with and I think this shootout can give me some direction. I'm interested in a review of the different subs concerning SQ, extension and SPL. I would like to build a sub that comes as close to perfection in all three. It's probably not realistic, but you have to set your goals somewhere.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wouldn't it be nice if Ed Mullen would arrange for an AS-EQ1 to debut there to make all your sub smoothing simple?
Old 02-08-2009, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

I cant believe I'm in California and wished I was in Wisconsin.

not to hijack but Tack we could do our own.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyusmce View Post

not to hijack but Tack we could do our own.

There was a half-hearted attempt to do an AV (Antelope Valley) GTG with possibly some members from the valley (San Fernando), inland and Barstow or there abouts. I don't know what happened to it, but I think the guy who would host it, in Quartz Hill, got scared off by how big it started to get. there are a lot of members in the area if you want to give it a shot.

The problem is they do tend to get too big and too many subs/speakers. It is not an easy thing to set up and manage. Just ask RMK! how much work goes into a simple 2 product shootout.

Randy
Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey ransac, thanks for poppin in here.... My house is open to the masses for this one, I don't think DIY gets enough coverage or availability, so my attempt to welcome people to this venue is open. My last speaker GTG was not overwhelming, but alot of people showed up, and opened alot of doors, in fact it was a great way to pull people together expecially after the GTG, we continue to meet and coorborate and help each other out. Now If I could start to charge admission, I think we'd be on to something here.... Maybe I can convince the members to each leave and item... Hmmm lab gruppen amps, LMS drivers....

At any rate, I think there will be some serious top level performace products here, and IMO I really appreciate all the efforts that others are willing to extend themselves to make this happen. For the Greater Good !!!!

I haven't developed an actual organized theory as to how all this will work out, but I expect all of the great minds involved to turn into a self moderating unit much like these forums can be at times...

I tend not to get too anal and just go with the flow of the group dynamic and it all seems to work itself out...

Hows that for a plan....
Old 02-09-2009, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hi Warp,
I actually got here taking some links from the SB&T forum. I didn't realize I was in the DIY forum until I posted my reply to arty. I got real scared when I saw where I was and I couldn't find my way back to the safe confines of the SB&T forum.

Good luck with your GTG. From the sounds of what may be there, I hope your floor is well braced. I'm sure these are not as simple for the host to coordinate, with finding space for all the gear and people, setting up the speakers/subs in fair comparison locations, and finding an efficient way to switch the inputs. Not to mention all the beer and food. I know I appreciate Rob (RMK!) volunteering his time and space to do this once in a while.

Randy
Old 02-10-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Warp,

I wish I lived closer, I would love to be part of a sub GTG. There is little interest around here for HT products. I am the only person I know who is really into it. Please post lots of pictures and maybe some video.
that would allow those of us who are not there to participate. It would be nice to have a video feed to the forum so we could participate. I wonder if any members have access to that equipment?

Good luck,

Robert
Old 02-10-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Warp,

As always, you are a great host! Please do let me know if you will need me to bring anything else to the GTG(beer, food, etc). I feel we should try our hardest to follow some sort of plan during the GTG so we stay on track and are able to evaluate all the great products being brought here. If all else fails, we can just have more beer

Are we taking measurements of each sub or just simply level matching and then evaluating their performance? Just curious, thats all.

Brandon
Old 02-10-2009, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcharles View Post

Warp,

I wish I lived closer, I would love to be part of a sub GTG. There is little interest around here for HT products. I am the only person I know who is really into it. Please post lots of pictures and maybe some video.
that would allow those of us who are not there to participate. It would be nice to have a video feed to the forum so we could participate. I wonder if any members have access to that equipment?

Good luck,

Robert

Robert, I think you should catch a ride with Ricci and bring one of those monoliths of yours up here Now that would be a welcome addition to the party, what do you think... How is the progress coming along, I saw you got the Granite on, looks slick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Warp,

As always, you are a great host! Please do let me know if you will need me to bring anything else to the GTG(beer, food, etc). I feel we should try our hardest to follow some sort of plan during the GTG so we stay on track and are able to evaluate all the great products being brought here. If all else fails, we can just have more beer

Are we taking measurements of each sub or just simply level matching and then evaluating their performance? Just curious, thats all.

Brandon

I'll catch up with ya on PM, I think we have a plan to get some measurements from all the drivers, at least the DIY stuff anyways...
I wouldn't worry, it should all come together just fine...

What time do you guys want to kick this off...

John, Ricci you guys are making a pretty good trek to get here, what will work out for your schedule? Late morning, early afternoon...

Ricci, I got your 13Ply today, hope to have my buddy over tonight to start cutting it up and then the gluing will commence for the XXX...
Old 02-10-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Warp,

I'll be in the area the day before. We're going to catch a Dropkick Murphy's show in Milwaukee that Friday night before, so I can be there as early or as late as you want the next day, maybe slightly hung over. I'd like to get started early though. Up to you of course. BTW my friend Chris that I'm bringing with me has his own small video production company, Cheap Shot Productions. We'll probably have a camera, or two in tow. He could've made that streaming video happen, but we've got a lot on our plate already!

I figured that I could put the WT3 to all of the DIY drivers early on just to get that out of the way. Mine have already been tested, so that's just yours Warp. Should be short and sweet.

The only testing that I was thinking of would just be really simple and quick REW stuff. Basically a close mic FR on each sw and then another one with the sw in place and the mic at the listening position. I can generate a waterfall of of that. I figure that we'll use the same position for each sw. Correlate with listening impressions later.

Are we going to EQ each of the subs to try to get a good response or just run them raw? Don't you have an SMS-1? Doesn't matter to me, but since most of the sw's are going to be sealed and your room is big we may need a bit of boost on the lows. We could also do a before and after EQ FR at the listening position too if we go that route.

I figure everyone will have a few tracks that they like to use for bass reference that we can listen to with each sub and we can take notes. Perhaps we should use one sw for a reference? Maybe one of the commercial subs like the F112 since it is generally agreed that they sound really good? Maybe have a 2 channel session and a seperate HT session for each sw? Later on we can just screw around with things.

Just brainstorming ideas here. I kinda figure we'll self regulate into some kind of coherancy too. Suggestions?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok.... I have a brand new SMS-1 sitting in the box waiting for this...

The room Im shooting for with all this is 3000^3, so not to crazy large.

Well I figure that we will have to mount a couple of drivers XXX and LMS before we can get them running, so we should probably get that going early on so we don't run into any snags with them. I also could use some help dragging my equipment over to that room. If you want to get started by about 10 am that is fine with me... You can check out my systems and then we'll break things down from there.

I agree with the F112 as a baseline sub, hopefully that room won't be trouble with response, but we'll just have to play it by ear...

Does the WT3 need the drivers out of the boxes for that...? I assume so...
Old 02-10-2009, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

There was a half-hearted attempt to do an AV (Antelope Valley) GTG with possibly some members from the valley (San Fernando), inland and Barstow or there abouts. I don't know what happened to it, but I think the guy who would host it, in Quartz Hill, got scared off by how big it started to get. there are a lot of members in the area if you want to give it a shot.

The problem is they do tend to get too big and too many subs/speakers. It is not an easy thing to set up and manage. Just ask RMK! how much work goes into a simple 2 product shootout.

Ransac;
I can imagine, but will consider a meet and greet GTG.
good luck wiscosin
Old 02-10-2009, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I figure that we will have to mount a couple of drivers XXX and LMS before we can get them running, so we should probably get that going early on so we don't run into any snags with them. I also could use some help dragging my equipment over to that room. If you want to get started by about 10 am that is fine with me... You can check out my systems and then we'll break things down from there.

Does the WT3 need the drivers out of the boxes for that...? I assume so...

No problem. That's just what I was thinking.

WT3 needs drivers removed from the box for basic parameter testing. You can do VAS testing in the box if the volume is known and also take impedance traces of the driver in the box. I figure when we remove the Mal-X for the LMS drop in we can do that one. You don't have all of your various TC drivers mounted do you?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

no, I have a number of drivers sitting free....

My next move is to drop in my TC3K and run behind the LP in my great room. But pulling a driver is easy as pie so we can do that in a split second... I think we're more then capable... I want to get an EP4000 for that driver to give it the power it needs, I think it will make a nice addition to the 3 Mal-X's.... Monsterous Bass will be mine... !!!!!
Old 02-12-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:

no, I have a number of drivers sitting free....

My next move is to drop in my TC3K and run behind the LP in my great room. But pulling a driver is easy as pie so we can do that in a split second... I think we're more then capable... I want to get an EP4000 for that driver to give it the power it needs, I think it will make a nice addition to the 3 Mal-X's.... Monsterous Bass will be mine... !!!!!

Warpdrv -

As I PM'd, sorry I can't make it, but I'll track this thread now.
Good to know all of this fun stuff is going on in my backyard!

Mike
Old 02-12-2009, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New Addition and welcome Peter from Chicagoland offering up one or both of his Sealed ED 190v.2
Old 02-15-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Warp do you have any pictures of your Mal-X subs?
Old 02-15-2009, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I do MUCHO.....
Check out my build thread.... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1104579
My 3rd Mal-X was shipped with a rattle, so that one is being sent back, DIYCable is yet to pick it up or give me a ship date that my replacement is on its way, so I'm SOL on that one for now...
I'll be lucky if I get it before the shootout....

I have other pics of the last build box, but I'm at work now... I'll post up later in my build thread...

Old 02-15-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
How did you find a rattle?

Lot's of low rent stuff stacked up into a medium rent pile.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

misaligned VC...? or a glue coming loose, maybe something damaged in shipping...? Kevin tests these before shipping, but it was shipped in Jan. when it was below zero... who knows what happened...

Upon bench test it is giving me a clinky sound.... Not sure exactly what the problem is.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Warp,

I'll be in the area the day before. We're going to catch a Dropkick Murphy's show in Milwaukee that Friday night before, so I can be there as early or as late as you want the next day, maybe slightly hung over.

I love DKM. I've listened to them since I got a Boston/San Fran comp back probably 15 years ago. Easily one of the greatest bands out. Want them to come close to nashville though. Never been to see them.

Quote:

New Addition and welcome Peter from Chicagoland offering up one or both of his Sealed ED 190v.2

Good deal. Anyone gonna have a LLT to drop it into just for testing? Sealed is good too. Just want to know how my sub compares with the big boys.