SE WI Sub shootout.... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 414 Old 02-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
ARRGH, I would love to make this but I am having a hard time as I need to spend time finishing my dedicated room.... SOOO many subs I want to hear though... HMMM subs, fellow audio nerds, perhaps bring some good brews up.

ARRGHHH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 414 Old 02-18-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

ARRGH, I would love to make this but I am having a hard time as I need to spend time finishing my dedicated room.... SOOO many subs I want to hear though... HMMM subs, fellow audio nerds, perhaps bring some good brews up.

ARRGHHH

Sorry that you can't make it Wes, if you free up some time be sure to make the trip up, should be a pretty interesting day I think....

On a secondary note....

My Wyred4Sound Amp finally showed up, not DIY, but I thought I would post up in case anyone was interested in something like this.

So far, the SQ is really nice... It really is a nice work of art... the pictures truly don't do them justice, the brushed black and silver aluminum case is really beautiful, and all the nice features on the back are great, very well constructed and thought out. 500x3 - 250x4

Here are a couple of pics for all ya'll...

post #93 of 414 Old 02-18-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
That thing looks like a beast. Also, at least I am not the only one with a few wires hanging around.
post #94 of 414 Old 02-18-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Sorry that you can't make it Wes, if you free up some time be sure to make the trip up, should be a pretty interesting day I think....

On a secondary note....

My Wyred4Sound Amp finally showed up, not DIY, but I thought I would post up in case anyone was interested in something like this.

So far, the SQ is really nice... It really is a nice work of art... the pictures truly don't do them justice, the brushed black and silver aluminum case is really beautiful, and all the nice features on the back are great, very well constructed and thought out. 500x3 - 250x4

Here are a couple of pics for all ya'll...

Wow!
What are the specs on that?
Especially weight?

Nice.

Mike
post #95 of 414 Old 02-18-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

I found this review - link.
I guess the class D helps explain why you can pack it relatively tightly in a cabinet.
Cool.

Mike
post #96 of 414 Old 02-18-2009, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

That thing looks like a beast. Also, at least I am not the only one with a few wires hanging around.

Hahahha The amp is very nice so far, we'll see how it fares, but I will likely not be changing it out, I really love the IcePower's sonic qualities.
No question that I have to get my wires organized, since I started my DIY subs and have been changing things in and out of my system lately, everything has gotten into a disarray... Next week is clean up time before the GTG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Wow!
What are the specs on that?
Especially weight?

Nice.

Mike

Thanks Mike, If I hadn't gotten it second hand I wouldn't have stretched my wallet open that far, but I got a great deal on it while still under a 2.5yr warranty. Otherwise I would have bought another D-Sonic of the same configuration.
Here is the link to the one I got... Dam thing has 2 power chords...
http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/s..._groupid=18048

Quote:

I guess the class D helps explain why you can pack it relatively tightly in a cabinet.
Cool.

Mike

That is the other reason I bought a second IcePower amp, they run so cool, and with the removal of my Rotel 1095, I also was able to remove the cooling fans that kept it from going into protection when the drunk chicky's started into party mode...
post #97 of 414 Old 02-18-2009, 08:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

...I also was able to remove the cooling fans that kept it from going into protection when the drunk chicky's started into party mode...

Good times.

I was going to ask how it might compare to an Emotiva MPS-2, but it sounds a lot more powerful.

Mike
post #98 of 414 Old 02-18-2009, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good times.

I was going to ask how it might compare to an Emotiva MPS-2, but it sounds a lot more powerful.

Mike

These amp modules for the front 3 are 500x3 at 8ohms, 250x4 for surrounds, but the B&O ASP modules double in power into 4ohm loads - so 1000x3 and 500x4...

These are the same exact modules they use in Bel Canto Ref1000 mono amps...

Wyred4Sound states they modify the modules for better SQ, where the original Bel Canto's aren't (check the prices on those units), The D-Sonics also do not alter the modules, I am already extremely happy with the sonic nature and power of the D-Sonic 2000-5 amp I have driving my Sig S4's
post #99 of 414 Old 02-18-2009, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Wow, this sound great. I'd love to drive up there just to check it all out....but alas....I won't be able to this year.

Hey, could I have brought up all 12 of my 10's for you guys to snicker about???? I would have let you surround your measuring mic with 'em!!!!

Certainly leaving every last one of you in awe! Okay, that's obviously the joke part!

But man, it sounds like fun.
post #100 of 414 Old 02-19-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:

Hahahha The amp is very nice so far, we'll see how it fares, but I will likely not be changing it out, I really love the IcePower's sonic qualities.
No question that I have to get my wires organized, since I started my DIY subs and have been changing things in and out of my system lately, everything has gotten into a disarray... Next week is clean up time before the GTG.

That's a looker for sure. How does it sound besides good? Have you pushed it hard yet like the Rotel?

Clean-up? What's that? Seriously every pic I've seen of your place looks squeeky clean already.

Can you describe the room that we'll be doing the SW sessions in? Size, lay-out, the equipment you have that we'll be using in conjunction with them ,etc.? Hopefully it doesn't involve stairs...
post #101 of 414 Old 02-19-2009, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

That's a looker for sure. How does it sound besides good? Have you pushed it hard yet like the Rotel?

Clean-up? What's that? Seriously every pic I've seen of your place looks squeeky clean already.

Can you describe the room that we'll be doing the SW sessions in? Size, lay-out, the equipment you have that we'll be using in conjunction with them ,etc.? Hopefully it doesn't involve stairs...

Ahhhh thanks Ricci, you know how it goes, I like to keep the place spotless, but when I'm changing out equipment from the system, things start to get ugly right quick.....

The room for the shootout is ahh.... 4 stories up...
Actually there are stairs, down to the basement, also coming from the garage, so its slight but then its straight on into the workroom with the listening room adjacent to that. Room is about 17x18x7.5, looks like I miscaculated earlier its about 2300^3 and can be sealed.

Pioneer Receiver or Parasound 2100 (probably both)
Wyred4Sound or D-Sonic amp
Paradigm Sig S4's or Studio 100's
basic DVD player
Modded XBOX (XBMC)for streaming content over my network.

Oh, I think we'll have some subs to work with here... lots of choices as well as another commercial newcomer which I will not disclose at this time, but I will say it hasn't been sent to production yet.

I would love to hold all this in my great room, but I think that 8200^3 open everywhere would not serve for a good listening environment, I'm sure you will all agree, we will likely get a better grasp on more subtle nuances in a smaller room, and the bedroom is off limits to men. I have held a couple of speaker shootouts here already, so I'll post up the pics from that SE GTG, so you can get an Idea of the room...
Pics of my Sig S4's and the Salk Song Tower RT's

post #102 of 414 Old 02-19-2009, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_E_Janowitz View Post

John Hanitz from Elite Audio would be interested in bringing as much of his small system there as needed. It consists of the tops with dual TD12M's and a BMS compression driver on XT1086 horn,

Hi John,

This may not be the place to ask but that sounds like an interesting speaker. What crossover frequency and slope are you/he using? Is it documented anywhere?

Dennis H
post #103 of 414 Old 02-19-2009, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I can vouch for Warps room for speaker & sub demoing, it works out just fine----we have used it plenty over the last year

Patrick,
The bedroom was not off limits for the men last time
What will they think.........
J/K

The system in there cannot be overlooked, its very impressive!

I am going to take a stab at the commercial offering thats under wraps.......BOSE Acoustimass module? Brought only to make every other sub at the GTG sound simply amazing On a serious note, I know what it is....ha.

Can't wait!

B
post #104 of 414 Old 02-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Warp did you have a pair of Epos monitors hat we listened to at the GTG? I remember you had a pair of smaller monitors that I really liked and can't remember what they were....
post #105 of 414 Old 02-19-2009, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
wes,

the dana 630's I think maybe?
post #106 of 414 Old 02-19-2009, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cool.

Mike

Mike Ice powered amps are what power my Seaton Catalysts, they are cool to the touch and tons of power and very dynamic and the built in DSP design means tons of flexibility. When I visited Mark at his house about two years ago he had a prototype sub which was being powered by one of his Ice powered digital amps, the amp was laying on the carpet with wires going to the sub and the sub was going full tilt. I picked up the amp and just held it in my hand and was amazed at how cool it was.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/p...ost?id=3044980
post #107 of 414 Old 02-19-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

post #108 of 414 Old 02-19-2009, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Mike,

That's awesome. That must be the new PS3 replacement. LOL
post #109 of 414 Old 02-20-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ahhhh thanks Ricci, you know how it goes, I like to keep the place spotless, but when I'm changing out equipment from the system, things start to get ugly right quick.....

The room for the shootout is ahh.... 4 stories up...
Actually there are stairs, down to the basement, also coming from the garage, so its slight but then its straight on into the workroom with the listening room adjacent to that. Room is about 17x18x7.5, looks like I miscaculated earlier its about 2300^3 and can be sealed.

Pioneer Receiver or Parasound 2100 (probably both)
Wyred4Sound or D-Sonic amp
Paradigm Sig S4's or Studio 100's
basic DVD player
Modded XBOX (XBMC)for streaming content over my network.

Oh, I think we'll have some subs to work with here... lots of choices as well as another commercial newcomer which I will not disclose at this time, but I will say it hasn't been sent to production yet.

I would love to hold all this in my great room, but I think that 8200^3 open everywhere would not serve for a good listening environment, I'm sure you will all agree, we will likely get a better grasp on more subtle nuances in a smaller room]

Patrick,

That'll work. Only 2300ft and sealed at that. I'm not used to a room that size. More like a lossy 3600ft or way bigger is what I've got to deal with normally. There should be plenty of low end going on. I bet John's dual 18" vented is going to be just stupid in there with music...

What sub do you normally run in that system the F112? What SW position gives the overall smoothest response? It'd be cool if the best position was up front near the mains somewhere.
post #110 of 414 Old 02-20-2009, 08:29 AM

Wish I could make it, I have to work. I'd love to meet some area HT guys. I'm down in the Kenosha/Racine area.
post #111 of 414 Old 02-20-2009, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Patrick,

That'll work. Only 2300ft and sealed at that. I'm not used to a room that size. More like a lossy 3600ft or way bigger is what I've got to deal with normally. There should be plenty of low end going on. I bet John's dual 18" vented is going to be just stupid in there with music...

What sub do you normally run in that system the F112? What SW position gives the overall smoothest response? It'd be cool if the best position was up front near the mains somewhere.

For sure, I am not sure how I had a different size in my head for that room, I though it was bigger then that... Duh.. After I measured again, my eyes went , there is gunna be some serious bass in there.... WOW.

Your question didn't make sense,but I assume you meant position/placement (lay off the crack bro ), I run my F112 in my bedroom in the corner to the left of the Mains.... I haven't done any sweeps in that room, the bass is STUPID good for me, so I haven't even EQ'd it at all, its not boomy for me, just solid good low rumble for movies, and great response for music, with lots of punch, maybe too much for others I run hot. http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...Painted007.jpg
post #112 of 414 Old 02-20-2009, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For sure, I am not sure how I had a different size in my head for that room, I though it was bigger then that... Duh.. After I measured again, my eyes went , there is gunna be some serious bass in there.... WOW.

Your question didn't make sense,but I assume you meant position/placement (lay off the crack bro ), I run my F112 in my bedroom in the corner to the left of the Mains.... I haven't done any sweeps in that room, the bass is STUPID good for me, so I haven't even EQ'd it at all, its not boomy for me, just solid good low rumble for movies, and great response for music, with lots of punch, maybe too much for others I run hot. http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...Painted007.jpg

You don't know about me Joe Rogan...I smoke rocks...

Didn't make sense? Maybe I need to get out my idiot's guide on how to speak Wisconsonian. I was asking: Whether you normally use a subwoofer in that room? If you know where the best place to put the subwoofers for a smooth even response would be?
post #113 of 414 Old 02-20-2009, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You don't know about me Joe Rogan...I smoke rocks...

Didn't make sense? Maybe I need to get out my idiot's guide on how to speak Wisconsonian. I was asking: Whether you normally use a subwoofer in that room? If you know where the best place to put the subwoofers for a smooth even response would be?

Ahhh I got ya now.... That room is and has been pretty much empty since I moved into that house.... that is why I have used it for speaker shootouts and GTG's.... There has never been a system in there... I have no clue where the room nodes are, I guess we'll find out.... why do you think I'm having all you guys over, to test it out...
post #114 of 414 Old 02-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailguy View Post

Wish I could make it, I have to work. I'd love to meet some area HT guys. I'm down in the Kenosha/Racine area.

Me too! I have only been to one GTG so far and had fun! We will have to plan more meets this year!
post #115 of 414 Old 02-21-2009, 06:43 AM

Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and learned about the Sub Shootout from John at AE. I would like to attend? I live in Oshkosh and am in the market for sub ideas. I searched, but did not find the address of the meet location. I don't want to crash the event, so thought I'd ask for permission! I did also send a PM to Warp. Just trying to make sure I get some feedback before next Saturday.

Thanks,

Darren
post #116 of 414 Old 02-21-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by dian1511 View Post

Hi Guys,

I live in Oshkosh and am in the market for sub ideas.

Darren

If you're not bringin' a sub, you gotta bring food!!!!

Okay, just kidding......I think!
post #117 of 414 Old 02-21-2009, 07:54 AM

Ya sure, I can bring food. OR would beer be better?
post #118 of 414 Old 02-21-2009, 07:55 AM

Oh wait. Would beer be classified as food?
post #119 of 414 Old 02-21-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Beer is a food group. Bread in a bottle.
post #120 of 414 Old 02-21-2009, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For those looking to attend please feel free to PM me so I can give you the address.

Thanks

Patrick
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page