DupliColor truck bed coating - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Today I picked up a spray can of Duplicolor truck bed coating, and Duplicolor black primer to test out on a wood scrap, to eventually coat on my subwoofer cubes.

Did ok, (thanks to above norm temps today ), but noticed that like any other paint, too much at once could cause a "run", on a vertical surface.

Also notice that a roll-on version of the truck bed coating was available. Has anyone tried the roll-on Duplicolor, with something like a foam "ultrafine finish" roller, on their project? I've had decent luck with oil-based rustoleum paints rolled onto wood projects, but would the Duplicolor stuff dry too fast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Havent used the duplicolor roll on version and don't know how much it is but duratex is supposed to be good and its pretty cheap:

http://www.acrytech.com/store.asp?pid=14119

additionally, in a pinch i have used this stuff:

http://www.autobarn.net/pltrbedliga....te=google_base

It's not the best finish in the world (at least in my opinion) as it has little rubber chunks in it in order to give truck beds texture but it was cheap and available locally at a walmart.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried a cheap roller with the can duplicolor stuff. Big mistake as the roller started to shred and get stuck into the wet finish. live and learn
post #4 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbeaver View Post

I tried a cheap roller with the can duplicolor stuff. Big mistake as the roller started to shred and get stuck into the wet finish. live and learn

This morning I tried spraying some Duplicolor (spray can) onto a foam roller to see how it would do. Rolled out fine, but the stuff dried so quickly on the roller, I can see going though one-two rollers per coat. Once the Duplicolor starts building up on the roller, the finish gets rougher.
Picked up a couple quarts of the roll-on stuff today, worst case I can always top coat with the spray version.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Having finished my LLT with 16 cans of duplicolor truck bed liner spray here are my lessons learned.

#1) Apply multiple very light coats and try not to saturate the surface with paint. It will dry quite fast and the coats go on smoother. Not as rough.

#2) Vertical surfaces seem to have a better finish in contrast to horizontal. The top of my enclosure was a little more rough, almost like sandpaper. I can attribute this to the fact the particles in the paint built up where as on vertical surfaces they fell off due to gravity.

#3) Be very observant of the humidity. It took 2 days to spray my entire enclosure. The second day was much more humid and the results looked different. I ended up sanding down the small area I did on the second day and redoing it on a day which was less humid. I was doing this outside in the backyard. If you have the luxary of painting in a semi-controlled enviornment like your garage, I think you'd get better results

#4) After you've finished painting you'll find millions of tiny paint particles on the surface of your enclosure. I used a putty knife and delicately knocked them all off. I followed up with using a leaf blower to ensure all of the paint particles were off.

Some pics of the process:

Prep work (make sure you primer the wood, especially the ends if using MDF).

After noticing that the top had a different texture. I put on some bondo and resanded, repainting

Finished:

post #6 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Very nice, thanks for the tips.

I'll be painting a large IB manifold within the next week to hold 4 15" subs.

I used rustoleum textured paint on my mains and center and was hoping for a similar finish on the manifold, but cheaper.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, thanks for the great tips. I have a un -done building addition that I have been using for my "workshop" (no wonder why it's still undone )

I actually planned on partitioning off a spot, sealing with plastic sheeting to make a temporary spray booth, maybe even throw in an extra spare bath fan for ventilation. I had read the fumes were bad, but so far tolerable.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-13-2009, 11:28 AM

I have used the DuraTex roller grade finish as mentioned above. You can get a very nice finish with it. I used a 1/4" nap roller and got a nice fine texture. Put about 12 coats on a pair of Bass Bins.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

I tried the Duplicolor Truck bed liner on my recent DIY project and found that it was

A) Expensive

B) to glossy

I stumbled onto a cheaper, and what I found to be, more effective method. I had a spray can of Orange Peel spray on wall texture from Home Depot. It's mostly used on ceilings and drywall.

I sprayed this on and the used a roller to paint the boxes flat black. One can of the orange peel could probably cover at least 6 'typical' sized sub boxes and costs about $12.

I'll try to add some pictures later but I feel it worked better than the Duplicolor experiment I did.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page