NHT Speaker Clone Project: VR-3 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 81 Old 03-29-2009, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Well, I'm pleased to say that my center channel is 100% done. The tweeter was not hard to install, it went pretty easy. As long as you don't put too much pressure on it with the final screw, it should be just fine.

The hardest part of the final assemble is actually the main crossover. The 2 screws behind the inner chamber are pretty hard to get. A stubby screw driver won't fit.

I ended up using a small socket driver. I put a 1/4" socket in it, then a quick attach phillips head tip fit in the end of the socket. That allowed me to get back in there, but it's tight.

My recommendation is to use a hex head, or some other type of screw on those 2 besides a flat head or philips head.....that way a plain socket will work pretty easy.

My luck.....I didn't have any (#6)- 3/4" hex heads available....so I had to rough it!

I'll go into more details on the wiring later, I'm going to finish up one of the mains right now. Photos to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 03-29-2009, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alright, this photo isn't the best but I just wanted to show you guys how nice this is coming along. Obviously, the enclosure is BLACK, not the brownish/gold color that my camera rendered! My kitchen has different types of lights and it's nearly impossible to get good photos.

Regardless.....I can't believe I'm almost done and that I built something this nice, especially being my first speaker build.

I'll get better photos tomorrow showing the accurate colors if I can . This is one of the mains, of course. I don't have pictures of the center channel yet, and I still need to finish up the other main speaker.

Check it out so far!

post #63 of 81 Old 03-29-2009, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Erich,

Absolutely 1st rate! Looks like you bought it (it may be hard convincing others that you actually built it)!

Ray

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #64 of 81 Old 03-29-2009, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Alright, this photo isn't the best but I just wanted to show you guys how nice this is coming along. Obviously, the enclosure is BLACK, not the brownish/gold color that my camera rendered! My kitchen has different types of lights and it's nearly impossible to get good photos.

That looks excellent.

Quote:
I'll get better photos tomorrow showing the accurate colors if I can.

Many (if not most) video and digital still cameras have adjustable white balance and even let you point them at a white object (like a piece of paper) to lock in the setting so pictures look accurate regardless of how warm or cool the ambient light was.
post #65 of 81 Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm very pleased with the look right now. The extra thick coat of Rustoleum really made them look better than I thought.

Drew, I did try to adjust the white balance a bit. The problem is that I forgot to turn off one set of lights. Right above the speaker are halogen lights, and to the left are incandescents that were switched out with those newer flourescent bulbs. So I'll have to try to do a manual white balance like you mentioned........or take the photos outside!
post #66 of 81 Old 03-30-2009, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Before I forget, I wanted to give a thanks to Mr. PassingInterest. He mailed me a tube of thermal paste for free that I couldn't seem to find at Lowes/Home Depot. I thought that was pretty nice, and certainly allowed me to get them done over the weekend. It was needed between the tweeter and the heatsink. I really appreciated it.

I got some better photos today.

Front view:

Side view: I got lucky, no seams or lines!

Back view: Looks like I need to do some dusting already.....

And a closeup of the roundover area:

post #67 of 81 Old 03-30-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And here's the finished center channel. I think you can see a hint of blue in these photos. What do you think?

Here's why there's a little blue color. I painted them blue prior to the hammered look so some of it came through like I was hoping. I could have had more blue show if I didn't put it on so thick.

I hope this photos shows the small amount of blue: Some areas had more blue than others I think.

post #68 of 81 Old 03-30-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Im extremely impressed, this can not be your first build!!!

I have this thread bookmarked so when I start my build I can reference it to make sure I do not screw things up...

How do they sound???

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #69 of 81 Old 03-30-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Penngray. I took my time on each step, I think that's why they came out so well. Plus the Rustoleum paint went better than I had hoped.

I only hooked up the center channel so far because the other main speaker needs to get fully finished this evening.

The center channel get's extremely loud and that's with just my Denon 987. I only listened for a few minutes but the first thing I noticed was that the voices sounded awesome. It smokes my Polk center channel (Csi-4 I think). I'm hoping to get the mains hooked up tonight, but I don't have any stands just yet.
post #70 of 81 Old 03-30-2009, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Very nice Eric, I think you did a bang-up job on these, I am very impressed!

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #71 of 81 Old 03-31-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Very nice.

So, where did you buy these, really?

Ha ha. Just kidding. I know you made them.

Fantastic job, Erich!
post #72 of 81 Old 03-31-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think you need to buy a small cnc machine and go into production Now you got me interested in building some Awesome job

I think once you have them totally finished you need to post links to all the places you ordered your parts from

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #73 of 81 Old 03-31-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

I think you need to buy a small cnc machine and go into production Now you got me interested in building some Awesome job

I think once you have them totally finished you need to post links to all the places you ordered your parts from

One place because the kits were from the Jack Hidley @ NHT. They were a steal IMO. The first day I saw them on his site I order 3 instantly. $150+shipping for the complete driver/crossover kit was insane considering the MSRP was $900 back in the day. The kits come with very detailed build instructions too so if we can built boxes, route holes and follow exact instructions these will be the result.

NOTE: I do not think there are any kits left, there were only so many available. I have 3 kits if someone wants to pay me more for them

post #74 of 81 Old 04-10-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

One place because the kits were from the Jack Hidley @ NHT. They were a steal IMO. The first day I saw them on his site I order 3 instantly. $150+shipping for the complete driver/crossover kit was insane considering the MSRP was $900 back in the day. The kits come with very detailed build instructions too so if we can built boxes, route holes and follow exact instructions these will be the result.

NOTE: I do not think there are any kits left, there were only so many available. I have 3 kits if someone wants to pay me more for them

Yep, missed out on this deal. Can't wait to see what's left when Jack has his site back up.

Erich,
Any updates on your listening tests? Curious to get your feedback on your beautifully built speakers!

Ray

post #75 of 81 Old 04-16-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I finally got time away from work to get some photos of these in place. I built some speaker stands that could hold their weight, which is over 50lbs each. I'll need to start a thread on those because they turned out pretty nice and were cheap and sturdy too. I may change the top platform a bit, but they are still nice.

Okay, now I'm not 100% sure I have these set up exactly right just yet. The manual for the Evolution speakers says to put the tweeter towards the inside of the room, but I think Jack said they should go towards the outside wall.

But what I can say is that these VR-3 speakers beat the crap out of my Polk rti-8's. Much louder and cleaner too. I have no worries about hurting them with the current power they're getting from my Denon 987, which I think is 110 watts, but that's an 8 Ohm rating, these are 6 Ohm speakers. I may eventually get an Emotiva amp.

I know they sound cleaner because I was listening to a song, and realized that what I thought the lyrics were for part of it was WRONG! I felt a bit stupid at that point, but oh well. I'm very pleased with the outcome and of course my upgrade sickness has been cured for this room. I have to hide all the wires and build a stand for the center channel though.

A closer shot: (I'm thinking about making the top platform on the stand square versus round)

post #76 of 81 Old 04-16-2009, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Very professional looking room well done!! That wall of subwoofers is amazing too!

post #77 of 81 Old 04-16-2009, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Great Job Erich! I can't start on mine until Jack reopens and this just put icing on my cake. GGRRRRRRHHH!!!!
post #78 of 81 Old 04-16-2009, 05:31 PM

Liked: 11
They look very nice, Erich. I'd definitely concur on making the top of the stands match the VR-3's base on shape and dimensions. Where are you crossing the VR-3's over to the wall-o-NHT-10's?

Keith
post #79 of 81 Old 04-16-2009, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks amazing...and that wall of speakers, never seen anything like that! I need to look at that build also (did not click on your sig before). All I can say is INCREDIBLE!!!

Ray

post #80 of 81 Old 04-16-2009, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys, I'm glad I got most of it finished before I got too busy at work.

HornsKeith, I have them crossed over at the same place I had my Polks at, which I believe is 90hz. I'm sure that will change. I still need to fine tune the whole thing, which will make them sound even better. And I will go ahead and change the top platform on the speaker stands.

So what do you gusy think about the tweeter placement? Should I change the left and right mains so that the tweeters are facing out? I'm sure there's a difference, but by the time I get everything moved and set back up, I won't really be able to "remember" how it sounded the other way.
post #81 of 81 Old 07-29-2009, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Erich,
Just came across this thread and have to tell you.. you did an AWESOME job on those!! They look fabulous by themselves, and fabulous in the room!
Congrats!
Joe H
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page