Another subwoofer GTG, Southern style - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 781 Old 04-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow WORX Audio!! Brandon mind sharing where or which online site did you get that from? Guess this is the best/closest thing you can aim for now before TC comes out with their new pro line.

That Tornado damage sucks. Glad that no one here are affected, feel sorry for all those folks with that kind of damage esp that we are already so down with the current economic climate.

One question, since you guys already know tornadoes can happen there, why don't people build really solid concrete houses, and reinforce it really really well with steel etc? Cost? I can see the reason why pictures/glassware falls off the cabinet when you guys rev the bass up.

PS. What is drywall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 781 Old 04-11-2009, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
The link to the worx sub is in the first post of this thread. This is a TC made driver. It should be quite good.

Unless you wanted to live in a thick concrete bunker there's not much you can do to control the damage from a tornado. On the other side of town from me there was a decently large two story house that was completely picked up and dropped on another house. Wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it, but they had it were showing it on the news. Large tornadoes like the one we had here are more powerful (windspeed) than the cyclones you have in the pacific. Winds can reach over 300 MPH.

Things like this can happen. This was where I live.

This is the house that was thrown on the other one. Weird stuff. There was a house across the street that was untouched.

Drywall, sheetrock, wall building materials.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #363 of 781 Old 04-11-2009, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I am staying at a friends house. He just recently bought a house over on Hickory Drive in a model home subdivision. It's a pretty nice neighborhood. Although Bell Road is the turn off road for it lol.
post #364 of 781 Old 04-11-2009, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think you are far enough over where you are. Most problems are concentrated on the other side of the interstate. The only hotels I could think of are on the bad side of bell Rd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #365 of 781 Old 04-11-2009, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Good to hear all of you are ok. Sad thing about the people in your community.

I hope all will be good next week. I am getting ready. I checked that box and I am skeptical about it. I am going to look at it better, but I still may have to use it because of time constraints. I would really like to do a better job, but work and projects are immense. I got the plugs for the amps today. I am going with the locking version 20 amps. I could not get the 30 amp version, and the IEC connector on the existing plug is only rated for 20 amps, so why bother with the bigger plug at the present.

Any thoughts?

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine....Must it be? It must be!

post #366 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

Unless you wanted to live in a thick concrete bunker there's not much you can do to control the damage from a tornado. On the other side of town from me there was a decently large two story house that was completely picked up and dropped on another house. Wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it, but they had it were showing it on the news. Large tornadoes like the one we had here are more powerful (windspeed) than the cyclones you have in the pacific. Winds can reach over 300 MPH.

In my portion of South East Asia, actually we don't even have cyclones. The worst we experience is about a Ritcher 3-4 earthquake. My city's building code is very strict so usually no issues. My in-law houses in Indonesia (they just 100km away from my country so their region do not have major quakes too) use reinforced concrete, and when building the house they spec it to have double the steel reinforcement beams and concrete bricks for the exterior facing walls. Solid as hell, use a hand to knock on it and it has no resonance. Some other houses do use the normal red bricks as they are much cheaper.

Actually he built it more for protection against riots and theft. It has happened once before and it was BAD. The neighbourhood is rustic and laidback but we/they are afterall Chinese in Malay country (perhaps it gets sensitive here but its more of race than religion, and the $$$ gap divide), but when hell breaks loose it really is bad. The windows have thick stainless steel grilles and half inch thick steel covers.
Of course you close the steel covers when you sleep, but usually most people close it all the time....there is enough ventilation but its difficult to explain and you'd think it would be suffocating but its not that bad, when I first visited I did wonder how the heck they even live that many years in such conditions but after a few days it really isn't that bad.
They don't have guns for sale there, so no harcore homemade tests with firearms. You can use a big hammer to bang on it and it won't even make a dent.
Cost a lot though. Its much safer here in Singapore as far as crimes are concerned.

Apparently concrete works for tornadoes.
http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/hurricane.html
http://architecture.about.com/cs/bui...cretehomes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ZzqcWVSFQ

I wonder how bass would sound there. (how much attenuation between walls)

Thinking further, actually my in-laws are living on the same island (Sumatra) as Aceh, the place which suffered the 2004 tsunami. But they/we are far away from the earthquake fault line, about 800km away.
post #367 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Robert, I think you will be fine with the smaller plug. No real need for the bigger one just like you said.

The box should be fine too. If it explodes during the meet then that would just be something cool to talk about.

post #368 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Sorry I haven't been posting much here. I've been working on the LMS box for the past couple of days.

The 220v cord that I'm bringing has a 30A (L6-30R) twist lock end on it because this is what I put on my PL9.0's and I already had the connector's to convert the 8002 over to that as well . Brandon's outlet is a 220v 30a line based on the connectors seen in the pics. The 20A (L6-20R) plugs have a different pattern than the 30A (L6-30R.)

I'd like to use the 220 for the PL9.0 I'm bringing and possibly the 8002, plus the IT8000. I figured it'd be easiest to have all of them use the same style plug so they can all use the same cord. The other possibility would be to rig up a separate cord for the IT8000 using the 20A L6-20R. Brandon said that it's only a few feet from the outlet to the listening room.

post #369 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I will see about getting a 30 amp lug so no more mods needed. I will check tomorrow.

post #370 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Sorry I haven't been posting much here. I've been working on the LMS box for the past couple of days.

The 220v cord that I'm bringing has a 30A (L6-30R) twist lock end on it because this is what I put on my PL9.0's and I already had the connector's to convert the 8002 over to that as well . Brandon's outlet is a 220v 30a line based on the connectors seen in the pics. The 20A (L6-20R) plugs have a different pattern than the 30A (L6-30R.)

I'd like to use the 220 for the PL9.0 I'm bringing and possibly the 8002, plus the IT8000. I figured it'd be easiest to have all of them use the same style plug so they can all use the same cord. The other possibility would be to rig up a separate cord for the IT8000 using the 20A L6-20R. Brandon said that it's only a few feet from the outlet to the listening room.

Same here. I've been hard at finishing 2 subs to bring and haven't wanted to post much until I was sure of what I would have done. I got a pair of drivers Friday and I'm making progress on the other sub, but still am not sure if I'll have it finished by Friday.

In either case, it would be great if you can bring the 8002. Being that I will have an L/T in line, it might (probably would) be disastrous to plug into a 7KW amp.

I'd much rather suffer a momentary clip or 2 than have to scrape a cone off the ceiling.

Bosso
post #371 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bosso, are you thinking of coming down this way? Sounds like it maybe. We would like to have you.

post #372 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

This is what I'm thinking of as far as the signal chain...

I'll run my calibrated ECM8000 into my Xenyx 1202 into my laptop into an auxillary input on the receiver for REW measurements. I'll be bringing a CM-140 to calibrate the levels with.

The goal is to not have to change any settings when switching the subs out, other than a couple of cables. It'd be best to not have to recalibrate everything every time a sub is switched out. I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this with the amount of differing subs that will be there. If we've got to move the sub into position and then set the level and then set a HPF each time we will never get through them all. I think that we should match certain subs with amps and those would be the subs run with that amp all day so that the settings don't change.

We need to:
1. Control the overall levels
2. Provide a HPF if needed for the ported subs.
3. Provide low end boosting if needed for the sealed subs.
4. Do a generic EQ to correct for the room response if there is a nasty room resonance or 2 that needs attenuation.

Controlling levels is easy. We can use the mixer board or the amps for this. The problem is providing all of the HPF's for the vented subs (Worx, Danley's, Brandon's ED190v2, mjg100's Shiva X each needing a different setting) and to a lesser extent boosting for the sealed ones (I planned on boosting the XXX and LMS a bit with a shelf below 20hz). The Rane PE17 can do a HPF for one of the subs. The DCX2496 can do all of this stuff but not without changing multiple settings many times throughout the day, which I'd rather not do.

What I'm asking here is who has EQ or HPF units that they can bring for their subs? This would make things so much easier. Does anyone have an EQ that could be used for a generic room EQ?

post #373 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry mate, I don't have any EQ or anything like that as all I use is my Bic H100 and Pio SC05 as my receiver.

I did a google street view of brandons house....I have officially scoped out the place
post #374 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have no eq. I almost want to say that unless there is a huge room null or peak we just leave the subs to do their own thing only for sake of ease. The hpf is another story. I don't use one on my sub now mainly because I don't play to reference levels and have little chance of over extending my driver. Unless we throw way down I won't need one.

How long will it take to set a hpf?

Villi, guess you got to see our old trash hauling vehicle. Pic is a couple years old. I don't think you can see the back yard too well in it. I am guessing we may not have time for outdoor testing, and it may not matter since it may rain.

post #375 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Nah, couldn't really see the backyard. At least there is some space in between houses . Murfreesboro has had some pretty bad weather lately, hopefully it will be good for the GTG.

Since we are going through brandons receiver do we even need the hpf or are we going to have one sub do like 50hz and below and the other do 50-80.
post #376 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

No HP needed here and I'll bring a Bassis for F3 and Q. All I'll need is a signal in and an amplifier (or the board) to plug the signal out and speaker cable into. My Bassis is modded to XLR out and I'll bring the XLR cable and a banana plug ended speaker cable of about 10'.

Bosso
post #377 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 06:37 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

This is what I'm thinking of as far as the signal chain...

I'll run my calibrated ECM8000 into my Xenyx 1202 into my laptop into an auxillary input on the receiver for REW measurements. I'll be bringing a CM-140 to calibrate the levels with.

The goal is to not have to change any settings when switching the subs out, other than a couple of cables. It'd be best to not have to recalibrate everything every time a sub is switched out. I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this with the amount of differing subs that will be there. If we've got to move the sub into position and then set the level and then set a HPF each time we will never get through them all. I think that we should match certain subs with amps and those would be the subs run with that amp all day so that the settings don't change.

We need to:
1. Control the overall levels
2. Provide a HPF if needed for the ported subs.
3. Provide low end boosting if needed for the sealed subs.
4. Do a generic EQ to correct for the room response if there is a nasty room resonance or 2 that needs attenuation.

Controlling levels is easy. We can use the mixer board or the amps for this. The problem is providing all of the HPF's for the vented subs (Worx, Danley's, Brandon's ED190v2, mjg100's Shiva X each needing a different setting) and to a lesser extent boosting for the sealed ones (I planned on boosting the XXX and LMS a bit with a shelf below 20hz). The Rane PE17 can do a HPF for one of the subs. The DCX2496 can do all of this stuff but not without changing multiple settings many times throughout the day, which I'd rather not do.

What I'm asking here is who has EQ or HPF units that they can bring for their subs? This would make things so much easier. Does anyone have an EQ that could be used for a generic room EQ?

I will bring my amp, cables and 25 feet of speaker wire for my Shiva, but I will need HPF. The Ed has built in plate amp. Sorry I do not have any EQ to bring.

Bosso, Welcome surprise to hear that you are going to be there.
post #378 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Bosso-are you going to bring those tower subs that you built? Your build thread was pretty cool, would be neat to have a listen.
post #379 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

No HP needed here and I'll bring a Bassis for F3 and Q. All I'll need is a signal in and an amplifier (or the board) to plug the signal out and speaker cable into. My Bassis is modded to XLR out and I'll bring the XLR cable and a banana plug ended speaker cable of about 10'.

Bosso

I'm not worried about you Dave. No filters needed here either. Just a bit of goosing below 25hz.

Do you run your subs as a stereo load or bridge an amp into them? I'll probably be running the 8002 in bridged mode on the XXX. I guess I could bring a 2nd if I have to.

How do these matches look for the DIY stuff...

EP2500: Brandon's vented 190v2 off of 1 channel ( maybe run the DTS20 off of the other channel if it shows up?)

Nady Xa1100: runs mjg100's Shiva X off of 1 channel (1 ch still open)

IT8000: I figure we can run the Worx 18 off of one channel and Danley's TH50 if it shows up, or Robert's dual 12's off of the other?

PL9.0: I'll run the LMS off of one channel and the other we can run something else off of the other...
(XXX, Robert's dual 12's)?

8002: We can run Bosso's dual driver sub off of this.

8002 #2?: bridged into the XXX? Bosso's sub #2? Bose Acoustimass module?

Should I bring 2 8002's?

post #380 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 07:58 PM

Liked: 13
The one extra channel on the Nady XA1100 is 730 watts at 2 ohm or 500 watts at 4 ohm. I have the Shiva set up for 4 ohm, running 500 watts to it.
post #381 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't know if I was tired when I was talking about my amp configuration. Still running single channel but hooked up parallel at 2 ohms with about 1300 watts. I never did get a gain booster because I got its level to match my mains. I think I may still get the Samson booster since I am running the amp almost full power just to get it leveled out.

No word about the danleys, but I imagine I will hear tomorrow. It is up to the owner if they bring anything and I sent something to his work email so he should get it tomorrow.

Bosso, I will send the info to you tomorrow. What subs are you bringing and I will throw them on the list. Really good to hear you are coming. I will feel like a little mind after experiencing your knowledge, but I am looking forward to it.

post #382 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I have decided to beef up the pre built car box. It will be ugly, but It will be there.

I have the MIC2200 just laying around right now. Bring it?

post #383 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I vote yes on the Mic2200 Rob. We can set it up as the HPF on one of the subs like the Shiva. I can set the Rane for the 190v2 and then we can use the DCX for the Worx and whatever Danley's if any show up.

Doesn't the Itech have HPF capability too?

You will have to fight my XXX box i'll be bringing for the ugliest sub of the day honors...

I don't know how we are going to fit all of the subs in your house Brandon...

post #384 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The Mic2200 has two channels, and can be used for two different subs.

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #385 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I vote yes on the Mic2200 Rob. We can set it up as the HPF on one of the subs like the Shiva. I can set the Rane for the 190v2 and then we can use the DCX for the Worx and whatever Danley's if any show up.

Doesn't the Itech have HPF capability too?

You will have to fight my XXX box i'll be bringing for the ugliest sub of the day honors...

I don't know how we are going to fit all of the subs in your house Brandon...

You need to use system architect and a computer with a network cable (I have one) to set the amps. I will bring the cables, and the software, but my computer is not guaranteed to work- I will bring it also. If you know how to use system architect and set the amps, be my guest. I just need it set back to original when I leave. I will bring what I have and whatever is requested of me that I have available.

post #386 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Since my subs are 8 ohms, I could run either of them off the 8002 bridged 8 ohms and parallel them at the amp to run both at 4 ohms bridged, so yeah, the 8002 is perfect for my stuff.

And yes, the FR looks good enough.

Brandon, yeah, I'll need a heads up on the address and nearby motel info. I'll be bringing 2 young bucks to handle the heavy work. My subs have a small footprint but weigh 200# each. They're also good with connection schemes and keeping things on schedule, but they eat like plow mules (just warning ya)

So far, it look doable for me. If that changes during the week, I'll let everyone know. I sure hope to be able to make the trip.

Vili...yup, 2 of them to have a look at and a listen to.

Bosso
post #387 of 781 Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
brandon, i there are two neutriks on the back of the worx, (or maybe thats the 218SS, not sure) but i forget how its hooked up, you should just test with a battery. I also dont know what is true + or -. We took the driver out soo much, im not sure if we hooked it back up right, lol.

hook up a 9V and if the cone pops out, that's +. The subwoofer is 3 ohms even.

I ran it for about 3 months (music source only) off a 2500 WATTS QSC with no HPF without a problem, but anything beyond that, you might want to filter it

data-bass.com
@databass_audio
post #388 of 781 Old 04-13-2009, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Wow...looks like real good fun is lined up. Really hope the Danleys will be there.
post #389 of 781 Old 04-13-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2100 View Post

Wow...looks like real good fun is lined up. Really hope the Danleys will be there.

I will be bringing a couple of the Danley products. A TH50, a pair of TH-SPUDS and a CS30 baby sub. You all can listen to whatever you want, they will be there-just in case anybody is interested.

I will also bring amp power and DSP for that so no need to worry about powering them. All I need is a standard 110V outlet. I will bring cables etc.

I will also bring a professional measurement rig and mic-in case anybody wants to measure anything. Again-just in case.

I won't get there untill late Fri night (I have to see my daughter off to her 1st prom before I leave).

See ya there!

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #390 of 781 Old 04-13-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like this GTG is getting bigger and better. Your street may be littered with cars for half a mile Brandon .

On a side note, since I live in a small town I never get to go to any nice grocery stores (all we really have here is a super walmart). I went to Publix and Whole Foods this weekend and I must say I am impressed. They were giving away free beer samples at Whole Foods this weekend...I mean honestly, any grocery store that gives free beer samples is an A+ in my book!

If we ever want to have a PJ shootout in the future I have an Epson 6500UB.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page