Kicker CVR for HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-15-2009, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 4ohm Kicker CVR 12 sitting next to me collecting dust. I was looking at some plate amps today, around 500watt. I would like to stay around $300 for an amp. I am just not sure what the best amp choice would be and also the box size. I want a ported box but I assume the specs on the box size are tuned for a car and would need a different size box for in the house. Below are the specs for the Kicker CVR.

Size 12 -inch
Impedance 4 ohms
Cone Material Injection molded poly
Surround Material Santoprene rubber
Sealed Box Volume (cubic feet) 1 - 4.6
Ported Box Volume (cubic feet) 1.75 - 2.25
Dual Voice Coil Yes
Sensitivity 86.7 dB at 1 volt
Frequency Response 25 - 500 Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 50-400
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 800
Vas (liters) 95.37
Fs (Hz) 26.1
Qts 0.527
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Also I should add that I would be using the sub for music and gaming 70% of the time, the other 30% for movies.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:08 AM

Do you have more specs than that? Hard to do a good model of it in WinISD with those specs.

Anyways, I would suggest the o-audio 500w plate amp, around 230 shipped. It has more options and is easier to configure than PE's amp. Plus it tested to put out very close to its rated power (475 instead of 500) and I think the PE amp was a little worse than that.

Roughly guessing off that sub something like a 4 cf box, tuned to 25hz maybe to be safe? But for lots of music a smaller sealed box may be better. That way if you decide you want more later you can upgrade to something like a Shiva-x driver and built a ported box for it and re-use the amp.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

What other specs would you need? I have always been a fan of ported subs, but again I am a car audio guy moving into the HT world and things are a bit different. My car has 2 image dynamics IDQ 12s in a ported box tuned to 32hz. I really want a sub that will sound clean but really pound when im listening to music(like my car). I still want movies to sound good, but I definitely use my setup for music and games most of the time.

Currently I have a Denon 1909 w/Polk monitor 60s and a cs2 center(just got the polks yesterday and they sound great). I am using my crappy onkyo htib rear speakers and the 8" sub that came with it. The room im in is about 800sq ft.

If this kicker sub is not ideal I could up my budget a bit. I just figured since I had it sitting here would try and use it.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:43 AM

800 sqft of closed space? If it isn't closed it will take more than a 12 to get the same punch you get in the car. Struggling with that myself right now. I've got 2 sealed 12s now and it is close but still not what I want. Thinking a few 15s or 2 18s added to the 12s may do it

Do you have the mms, bl, max excursion and/or Sd of the driver?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

I think I need to do some more research here on the forums, and up my budget a bit. The room is my basement and is a bit more then 800sq ft, its closer to 1000 after doing some measuring.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:17 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 3082
OK so I dredged up an ancient thread because I just built my first Kicker-based sub. The fact is that the CompVR has been re-designed and the new-edition dual-voice-coil models are the ones with the rep for punching above their weight and actually sounding good. frankly I don;t know what the last generation of CompVR's sounded like.

I just rigged my CompVR 12" to a Crown XTI-1000 amp. They can be had for $399 new. I prefer outboard amps vs. plate amps. The Crown puts out two channels of 700 watts @ 2 ohms and Crown bass is legendary. I have each channel wired to one voice coil in my CompVR's which are the dual-voice coil 2 ohm model. - indeed this is the most capable subwoofer I've owned and reliably shakes my home theater with 18hz rumbles, making blockbuster movies that much more engaging. The Kicker CompVR sub is a revelation, once it's broken-in it is one deep, hard hitting driver.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/crown-xti-1000-power-amplifier

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com