Flexy rack, is this wood appropriate or possible speaker cabinets? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-06-2009, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Was over at menards last night looking at flowers, well the wife was looking at flowers and I wandered over to the lumber section and found this wood.

Has anyone ever built or used some of this wood in a flexy rack? The 3/4" 2x8 sanded plywood seems pretty stiff but my amps weigh in at about 40lbs each, two of them. The 2x8 looks attractive from a price point and I would probably cut it at 20" wide so I would have a 20"x24" rack WxD and I would get about 4 shelves out of it. I have also thought of doing 24"x24" but I don't believe it would look rite. If the 3/4" is too weak to support the amps would the 1" be able to hold them?

Also like I said the wood seems pretty stiff, especially the 4x8' stuff. has anyone attempted at building a speaker box out of it? Seems like for a bit more in price you wouldn't have to deal with the fine MDF dust that seemingly will find itself into every little nook and cranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-06-2009, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Buy a piece of 1x2 (actual size 3/4" x 1-1/2") and glue and nail it onto the front edge of the shelf as a stiffener. From the front the shelf would look 1.5" thick and the shelf would be plenty strong to support your amp.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page