AVS Forum banner
149K views 967 replies 113 participants last post by  john lutz 
#1 ·
Upcoming class D amps from Peavey, for your interest.... I'm hoping they perform with continous power
it will cut the price on the system I'm building...

Quote:
* IPR1600 - Street Price: $299.99

* IPR3000 - Street Price: $399.99

* IPR4599 - Street Price: $499.99

* IPR6000 - Street Price: $599.99

In addition, the IPR DSP series features built-in DSP processing

* IPR DSP 1600 - Street Price: $449.99

* IPR DSP 3000 - Street Price: $599.99

* IPR DSP 4500 - Street Price: $649.99

* IPR DSP 6000 - Street Price: $799.99
Quote:
* IPR 1600 530W RMS x 2 at 4 ohms

* IPR 3000 1000W RMS x 2 at 4 ohms

* IPR 4400 1500W RMS x 2 at 4 ohms

* IPR 6000 2000W RMS x 2 at 4 ohms

* IPR DSP 1600 530W RMS x 2 at 4 ohms

* IPR DSP 3000 1000W RMS x 2 at 4 ohms

* IPR DSP 4400 1500W RMS x 2 at 4 ohms

* IPR DSP 6000 2000W RMS x 2 at 4 ohms

See less See more
#787 ·
for 2 years I'm stressing a class D 7.1 h.t. receiver with magnepan's, apogee's, and in the last year a pair of carver AL III; even the 16 ohms Altec Valencia sounded awesome (said by others too). Comparing to a 250W/8Ohms Parasound HCA-2000 amp this JVC RX-D702b the only positive and audible is the slew rate (135 V/µsecond) of the Parasound - is not so easy to sense it tough. The bigest plus of the JVC over the Parasound is that it reproduces more inormation - a non-audiophile friend of me said that he hears more music from the JVC.

A testing of 4 hours w/ IPR 1600 on ordinary phenolic horns and then on Aurum Cantus true ribbons revealed for me that it sounded very close to the JVC and the latest being better because it takes optical (no analog on the signal path) directly from the BD-player in my setup.

Probably the slew slope can be improved with a better/larger/faster power source. All those can be sensed with easy only when you use true ribbons. Maybe IcePower solved the problem - I didn't get the chance to have one so, I'm not sure.

Go authlxl!

#791 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshift /forum/post/19568072

MF has now posted a new date of Jan 8th 2011 for the delivery. Looks like may take a while to enjoy the new IPRs.

You placed an order in what Sept? January is 5 months.

Parts Express is showing expected delivery on the IPR 3000 3 days before Christmas.

#794 ·
IPR 3000 was put to my humble test, playing music (classical, Jazz, Pop) for 9hrs continously. Speakers are dual B2031P monitors on each side creating a 2.1 ohms load per channel. SPL meter was reading 98 to 100db avg from 10ft distance. Speaker sensitivity is 89db as listed. Amp was cold to touch no different than my EP2500 that was sitting besides powered off

The green power LEDs are like truck high beams on a interstate highway. These LEDs pretty much provided enough light in my basement to walk around with no lights on. The only person who was excited was my 8yr old who gets thrilled with blue and green LEDs.

Anyways, the power seemed to be clean and strong based on playing familiar material. Opened up the case to look at the guts, it is totally different than IPR 1600. The PCB extends from front to back covering the floor space almost 80%. The fan is a bit noisy hooked up by flexi-rubber mounts. The quality of assembly and components looked very good and I particularly liked the delayed relay power-ON and OFF click noise. I have a few pictures of inside, not sure if I can post them here with Peavey rep not getting pissed off. I will keep this amp, would look cool during parties

#795 ·
At least you received it and it works. Congrats.

#796 ·
Hi Guys

I haven't been in here in months. Sorry I haven't responded sooner. IPR3000 has been shipping since mid November. The back order list is long, so availability will be limited for a while.

Stickshift, thank you for your patience, your good review, and for being a customer.

Hey authlxl, bad news for you my friend. IPR1600s have been out there by the thousands and just aren't blowing up. May I respectfully suggest you improve your reverse engineering capability.

#797 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanedandu /forum/post/19484951

the storry with the "parts shortage" doesn't work for me!.

Odd given that all manufacturers have been fighting a global parts and raw material shortage for the past year. It's kinda been front page news throughout the electronics industry. If you don't mind paying the parts distributors x10 the normal price for a few thousand pieces, it's not so bad. If you are trying to buy tens of thousands of a component direct from the manufacturer for a price that allows you to build and sell at the advertised price, it's a different situation. We don't sell directly to the end user. We sell to retailers that sell to end users. They have to make a profit, so we have to supply them product at a price that allows them to compete with the small copy companies that sell direct. Simply put, we have to take advantage of large quantity pricing so that we can get a lower price. We also have to use quality components that allow for UL and/or other safety agency approval. And of course, there is always the on-going counterfeit parts problem that can cause a manufacturer to recall and eat thousands of finished units. Going on the open market for parts works for the little guy. It just doesn't work for the big guy.

#799 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz
So still no ETA on the 6000?
Hi Noah. Sorry, no 6000 in the near future. Focus now is production of the enhanced Crest versions (ProLite 2.0 & 3.0), as well as DSP versions of the 1600 & 3000. The DSP versions include MaxxBass as a feature. I'm very interested in is how receptive the AV community is to MB. I was dismissive of it thinking it was just more of the same old snake oil with various attemps at eq to enhance response. I was stunned by how well it tricks the brain into hearing more bass fundamentals without requiring more power or cone excursion. The effect was that of a doubling of either speakers or power at low frequencies. Hopefully that will be a bit of an offset to make up for lack of the higher powered units for now. For those not familiar with MaxxBass, it's worth a Google.

#800 ·
DSP features will make or break the sale for most people nowdays.

Crown XTI feature set is nice. Not so sure that most people need a subharmonic dohickamijiggy. Any word on the Crest E-lite announced a long time ago>?

Again, the DSP feature set will make or break the sucess of the units. I'd be interested in checking out the DSP capability.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/c...2010_infocomm/

#801 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd /forum/post/19665796

DSP features will make or break the sale for most people nowdays.

Crown XTI feature set is nice. Not so sure that most people need a subharmonic dohickamijiggy. Any word on the Crest E-lite announced a long time ago>?

Again, the DSP feature set will make or break the sucess of the units. I'd be interested in checking out the DSP capability.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/c...2010_infocomm/

MaxxBass is not sub-harmonic. It uses psycho-acoustics to make you think there is more.

http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=327

The ProLITE DSP is substantially different from the IPR DSP.

Pioneer wouldn't let Crest use the name E-Lite. We renamed them to ProLITE. All available parts are going into the IPR 1600 & 3000. Based on current vendor promises, we will be shipping late March. That assumes parts delivery schedules don't get pushed out again.

#802 ·
Very interesting.

If it makes it sound better, it's fine with me.

Actually a DSP 3000 might work for me.

One of my subs is a Danley DTS-10 at 4 ohms should be fine for one channel.

But the other is a pair of sealed Maelstrom 18's.

I think they'd be underpowered at 8 ohms, but I'm a little concerned about the 3000 at 2 ohms.

I can see BassMaxx it being effective for music, but I wonder about movies where there can be much lower freq at high levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickneedhelp /forum/post/19665424

The DSP versions include MaxxBass as a feature. I'm very interested in is how receptive the AV community is to MB. I was dismissive of it thinking it was just more of the same old snake oil with various attemps at eq to enhance response. I was stunned by how well it tricks the brain into hearing more bass fundamentals without requiring more power or cone excursion. The effect was that of a doubling of either speakers or power at low frequencies. Hopefully that will be a bit of an offset to make up for lack of the higher powered units for now. For those not familiar with MaxxBass, it's worth a Google.

#803 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickneedhelp /forum/post/19663407

Hi Guys

I haven't been in here in months. Sorry I haven't responded sooner. IPR3000 has been shipping since mid November. The back order list is long, so availability will be limited for a while.

Stickshift, thank you for your patience, your good review, and for being a customer.

Hey authlxl, bad news for you my friend. IPR1600s have been out there by the thousands and just aren't blowing up. May I respectfully suggest you improve your reverse engineering capability.

After keeping it idle for 2 days, I powered on the IPR 3000, I heard the poweron relay click, then all LEDs went off within 3 secs (as if I powered it off). I tried to power it back on and multiple times - no luck! no hearbeat. Tried different power cord, different circuit, waited for multiple hours, no luck. Have requested vendor for an exchange, lets see what happens.

When the power cord is plugged in, I can still see a pale blue dim light on the power switch and logo, but definitely not the bright blue LED when it is normal.

#804 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshift /forum/post/19671482

.......I tried to power it back on and multiple times - no luck! no hearbeat. Tried different power cord, different circuit, waited for multiple hours, no luck.......

Hi Stickshift. Sorry for the problems. Please PM me with who you are returning it to so that I can get a look at it. Since we are in the infancy of production, we need to examine any failures ASAP. Customer service can also route you to me. Thanks

#805 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickneedhelp /forum/post/19673949

Hi Stickshift. Sorry for the problems. Please PM me with who you are returning it to so that I can get a look at it. Since we are in the infancy of production, we need to examine any failures ASAP. Customer service can also route you to me. Thanks

Thanks SNH, PM sent ..... PM me if you require more details.

#808 ·
My new IPR 3000 came in right before X'Mas. Put to test the whole night again with 2.1 ohms each channel around 90 to 96dB. It was playing 24/96 Hi-Res music and live concerts. Worked great! IPR 3000 passed with flying colors during the party, but I had kept my EP2500 around powered on just in case. IPR did not let me down. There were mixed comments about the bright LEDs. Since the case does not act as heatsink, cannot determine which components get hot.

I do want to inform you all that this is my 2nd IPR within a month and looks like this came in opened as well. Looks like these are being retrofitted at the factory, it does not matter much since they carry 5yr warranty.

Will see how it performs on Dec 31st - Happy new year to all. ;-)

#809 ·
Dec 31st was a blast with IPR 3000. This is what I did before the grand slam ... Ran 4 tracks (5 min each) at 90dB SPL in a loop for 18hrs. The tracks were Pink noise @0dB, Sine Wave 1Khz, Sine Logarithmic 1hz to 200hz, Sine Sweep from 1hz to 20Khz. The load was 2.1 Ohms on each channel.

We were not at home during the test due to snow storm
but the amp did survive until we returned and then performed very well at the party.

I had the amp on the Kill-A-Watt meter. The amp is at 64 watts at idle and 72 watts at 93dB at 8ft from the speakers, as compared to EP2500 that jumps upto 320 watts and HK3485 to 290 watts at this SPL. HK remains warm to touch after 5 mins. EP2500 and IPR 3000 are at room temperature.

This may not be the best method of testing equipment, but I am pleased with the results. Job well done Peavey!
My recommendations have won you 23 more orders of IPR 3000 from different vendors across the nation.

BTW, I never got a chance to order those speakers...I know this is a$$ backwards....but what the heck, this is a hobby!

#811 ·
This Kill-A-Watt meter....is it measuring VoltAmps (VA) or Watts(W)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.