Sealed ED 190v.2 or Sealed Maelstrom-X? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-09-2009, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, so I just finished building two 24" Cubes (Neo Dan's Design). They should be right under 6 cubic feet of volume since I added a little extra bracing even though it wasn't needed. It seems that both subs like between 5-6.5 cubic feet sealed so this should be fine for both subs. If I am wrong please don't hesitate to slap me in the face.

Now, that the boxes are built my wallet is having a full on debate with my brain. I first was set on the Maelstroms but now since the economy is taking a dump on us, and nothing is guaranteed. I seem to be searching for a cheaper alternative that still meets my needs.

My brain says do dual Maelstroms with each having their own EP2500 as a power source. However, my wallet is saying do dual ED 190v.2 D2's sharing a single EP2500; one on each channel.

From my numerous hours of thread reading and searching over this fabulous forum here. I have found out that a maelstrom-x loves its power, needing a EP2500 to itself. Maybe more if you boost up the lower end to avoid cliping. On the other hand I have read that the ED190v.2 can do its thing on about 1200 watts (MKtheaters setup as a example).

This is how it seems to add up:

(2) ED 190v.2 = $490
(1) EP2500 Amps = $350
Total = $840

(2) Maelstrom-X = $790
(2) EP2500 Amps = $700
Total = $1490

Difference of $650. So, just to put that into perspective that is almost another two sealed ED Subs complete. Making 4 total. Not that I would spend that extra money on 2 more right now but I just wanted to throw that in there for a comparison. It might help wager someones decision.

I know I like the tight, articulate, clean bass of a sealed sub, so I am sticking with that. I just might have to add more down the road if the desired output isn't accomplished with 2.

So, I guess my question is....What would you do? It seems the ED is a far better value. But is is a better BANG? Is it worth the extra Money? It seems everyone is partial from the threads that I have read. Example: if they built the ED Sealed they love it and wouldn't change it and same goes for the Maelstrom.

I understand I am just a "Nubie" given my very few amount of posts on this forum. So share your knowledge. Thanks.

BTW, anyone with a little skill and tools should be able to build one of these boxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-09-2009, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
If it were me I'd pick up one Maelstrom and one EP2500 for now. Then save up and buy another Maelstrom when I was comfortable enough with my financial situation to spend the $400. You could run both off one EP2500 until you feel comfortable picking up another one. With one Maelstrom on the EP2500 you only give up ~2dB to the pair of 19Ov.2's from 40hz down but I think you'd make up the difference in SQ.

Also B&H photo has the EP2500's for $270 shipped (and they're in stock right now).
post #3 of 12 Old 07-09-2009, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
You won't go wrong with either choice. You will get a little more depth and a little more output with the maelstroms, but its obviously a lot more expensive. For your situation I would go with the eD drivers and single ep2500. If you happen to have extra money later then you could double up for quads.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-09-2009, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
If you're not set on picking up your amps right away you may want to check craigslist. I've got 3 EP2500s and they each cost around $200, +-$10. 2 of them are new in box with the factory seal intact, one was used lightly. Could save you a significant amount of money right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasyachkin
Even i, the genius, only vaguely understand what i am saying here.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-09-2009, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply's. Y'all are really giving me something to think about. Depth and Output vs. price. I just wonder if my ears will notice as much as my pocket. I will check out craigslist.com to see what kind of deals I can find. If I can get a good deal on a couple amps then it might persuade me to go in the maelstrom direction.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-09-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
MAL-X's all the way.... I think they are just a better quality driver and in the end you be happier in the end here.... Better excursion and power handling from my perspective...
post #7 of 12 Old 07-14-2009, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

I pretty much have my mind made up right now. Why I am waiting to find a good deal on craigslist or eBay, I am just painting boxes.

However, I just thought I would see if anyone had any opinions on the "Mach5 IXL 18.2.2." It is roughly the same price as the ED 190.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-14-2009, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've tested both versions of the ED 18" and The Mael-X, I now have 3 Mael-X

Regards,
Dan
post #9 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by turdlepoker View Post

I pretty much have my mind made up right now. Why I am waiting to find a good deal on craigslist or eBay, I am just painting boxes.

However, I just thought I would see if anyone had any opinions on the "Mach5 IXL 18.2.2." It is roughly the same price as the ED 190.

I have a IXL 18.2.2 in a 7.5 cu ft with 2 of the AE 18" pr's and I can't imagine anything sounding better. I have another IXL that I will be building soon as well.
EP2500 for power and a Reckhorn B-1 for boost and filter.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post

I've tested both versions of the ED 18" and The Mael-X, I now have 3 Mael-X

Dan, are you running the Maelstroms in your end table max design or do you run them sealed in the 24" cube? If you are running them in the end table design, what kind of wattage are you supplying? Thanks
post #11 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 943
in your venn diagram, don't forget to calculate the probability and $$ of making the wrong decision and then having to fix it later. while a relatively small probability, it is a huge expense.

maelstroms are good performers. they are also a known entity, which provides insurance against a f_ckup. there have been some questions about the specs of the other driver that you mention. not that they are bad, just that they have some questions floating around them.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 07:20 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by turdlepoker View Post

OK, so I just finished building two 24" Cubes (Neo Dan's Design). They should be right under 6 cubic feet of volume since I added a little extra bracing even though it wasn't needed. It seems that both subs like between 5-6.5 cubic feet sealed so this should be fine for both subs. If I am wrong please don't hesitate to slap me in the face.

Now, that the boxes are built my wallet is having a full on debate with my brain. I first was set on the Maelstroms but now since the economy is taking a dump on us, and nothing is guaranteed. I seem to be searching for a cheaper alternative that still meets my needs.

My brain says do dual Maelstroms with each having their own EP2500 as a power source. However, my wallet is saying do dual ED 190v.2 D2's sharing a single EP2500; one on each channel.

From my numerous hours of thread reading and searching over this fabulous forum here. I have found out that a maelstrom-x loves its power, needing a EP2500 to itself. Maybe more if you boost up the lower end to avoid cliping. On the other hand I have read that the ED190v.2 can do its thing on about 1200 watts (MKtheaters setup as a example).

This is how it seems to add up:

(2) ED 190v.2 = $490
(1) EP2500 Amps = $350
Total = $840

(2) Maelstrom-X = $790
(2) EP2500 Amps = $700
Total = $1490

Difference of $650. So, just to put that into perspective that is almost another two sealed ED Subs complete. Making 4 total. Not that I would spend that extra money on 2 more right now but I just wanted to throw that in there for a comparison. It might help wager someones decision.

I know I like the tight, articulate, clean bass of a sealed sub, so I am sticking with that. I just might have to add more down the road if the desired output isn't accomplished with 2.

So, I guess my question is....What would you do? It seems the ED is a far better value. But is is a better BANG? Is it worth the extra Money? It seems everyone is partial from the threads that I have read. Example: if they built the ED Sealed they love it and wouldn't change it and same goes for the Maelstrom.

I understand I am just a "Nubie" given my very few amount of posts on this forum. So share your knowledge. Thanks.

BTW, anyone with a little skill and tools should be able to build one of these boxes.

I have an ED A7S-450 (sealed ED 190) and my ported Shiva-X sounds tighter to me.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page