post #91 of 110 Old 09-19-2009, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cefud View Post

What about the Radian 5208c? Anyone have experience with that. A quick search turns up a few favorable comments, but little hard data. The related 508/2B ceiling coax has a response curve that is almost too good to be true given the wonkiness of a lot of the other coaxials. Radian is a respected company, right? Assumedly they didn't just totally fabricate that response curve.

Radian do make nice drivers, but those coax curves look way too smoothed for me. I asked a couple of years back for individual driver FR's and was told they were not available, and that the published FR included their passive xover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Goin back wheyyyyy old school. Did anyone ever complete the passive XO for the 8cxt?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #93 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I was just reading this thread a few days ago, it seems with the popularity of the Noesis and Catalyst you would start to see some DIY coaxial designs. Would they compete with the commercial offerings, perhaps not but I don't see spending $3k+ on HT speakers anytime soon. Seems like they would excell as surrounds, and with the ever increasing number of surround channels that would be a great start.

I see B&C currently has multiple 8" to 15" offerings, I would think a 12" design could be a very small formfactor speaker that could be a good match for all the CD-based mains.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.  Leonardo DaVinci

post #94 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Agree on all accounts. And I will say you will see at least one build coming up with these biggrin.gif Details are still a bit vague tho.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #95 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 113
When I first started to read about DIY audio the coaxials were an area of high interest to me as well. However, I was looking more at the possibility of a "D8" 3way design....I would still be interested in something like this if someone else did all the foot work....I know nothing about crossover design at this point and therefore would not attempt somethign with a coaxial.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #96 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the D8?

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #97 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 113
double 8....instead of Triple 8 haha

My sad attempt to be "witty"

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #98 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

That is whatI thought you were getting at but wasn't sure...It certainly wasn't a clone of the Sony D8...

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #99 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Agree on all accounts. And I will say you will see at least one build coming up with these biggrin.gif Details are still a bit vague tho.

MOAR DETAILS! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #100 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

I was just reading this thread a few days ago, it seems with the popularity of the Noesis and Catalyst you would start to see some DIY coaxial designs. Would they compete with the commercial offerings, perhaps not but I don't see spending $3k+ on HT speakers anytime soon. Seems like they would excell as surrounds, and with the ever increasing number of surround channels that would be a great start.

I see B&C currently has multiple 8" to 15" offerings, I would think a 12" design could be a very small formfactor speaker that could be a good match for all the CD-based mains.

I agree the concept is great, and I'm a big fan of getting cross overs low and as point source as possible. I even dabble in full rangers for this reason. I've been tempted many times to try some of the coaxials out there, especially the B&C 8" versions, but most coaxials have terrible response and I can't risk spending money on something that turns out to be junk. And everytime I google around to see if someone else has taken the plunge, I come up with nothing.

The big coax compression drivers are promissing, but they require expensive components and a large size. I think a D8 would be a wicked speaker. One of the B&C 8" coax's with another B&C 8" woofer. Could be layed horizontal for a center. Take up 10" x 20" max. Cost around $350 each. Have the option to make it with 2 woofers as a T8. And do an honest 95db! It would be a really good speaker.
post #101 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Size isn't going to be an issue for thie build I am considering, but compact surrounds with the 8cxt would also be a fun adventure to pick back up. I was quite surprised to see several of these builds started but never completed. Quite interesting indeed.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #102 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I too have had the idea that some small coaxial surrounds might make a great match for horn based CD mains. Somewhere I have a thread bookmarked where somebody made some. Beast I would have sworn it was you...

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #103 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 67
post #104 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.eminence.com/2012/10/great-uses-for-coaxial-products/

This article, linked on the PE website when looking at eminence coaxial drivers, shows two build project's using eminence coaxial drivers. Fairly inexpensive project as a pair of Beta-10CX + PSD 2002S CD + PXB2:2K5CK crossover (supposedly designed for this project) would cost around $400 from PE. I doubt the sound would be as good as from the higher price B&C, I don't see many using eminence CD's in their DIY projects.

I may look into building a single as it would be pretty inexpensive, but it would be awhile as I have lots of higher priority projects lined up.

post #105 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

I too have had the idea that some small coaxial surrounds might make a great match for horn based CD mains. Somewhere I have a thread bookmarked where somebody made some. Beast I would have sworn it was you...

No worries this was my build:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1353658/budget-eminence-coaxial-surround-build

I love them for surrounds and they have kept up just fine with JTR triple12's, LS-6's and my SEOS builds. I would only upgrade if I went 7 channel all B&C deals just to match up everything. This build I am considering is for mains with some pretty substantial firepower.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #106 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, I tried the stock emminence XO's as you can see, and they got some pretty good results, but could still be improved on

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #107 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, the low cost of the eminence set is tempting. Looks like they have three CDs that will work, how did you chose the one you used. I was thinking the 2002 because its the base model on the 4 Pi speakers.

post #108 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I love them for surrounds and they have kept up just fine with JTR triple12's, LS-6's and my SEOS builds. I would only upgrade if I went 7 channel all B&C deals just to match up everything. This build I am considering is for mains with some pretty substantial firepower.

Beast, I just read your build thread. It appears the selenium option with the Zilch (what a great dude, still missed) crossover may be the best move. I need surrounds for my 4 Pi mains and these may just be the ticket. Thanks, I don't know how I missed your thread I thought I did a pretty comprehensive search for coaxial designs on AVS, DIYaudio and Parts Express Forum.

Now that you have a functional coaxial design, it may be time to add some 15's for a nice WCW design.

post #109 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

Quote:

Beast, I just read your build thread. It appears the selenium option with the Zilch (what a great dude, still missed) crossover may be the best move. I need surrounds for my 4 Pi mains and these may just be the ticket. Thanks, I don't know how I missed your thread I thought I did a pretty comprehensive search for coaxial designs on AVS, DIYaudio and Parts Express Forum.

Now that you have a functional coaxial design, it may be time to add some 15's for a nice WCW design.

Started with the apt-50 as the XO seemed to mesh better with it, and i was looking to find different levels of $$ depending on how far you wanted to go. trying the two different stock emminence XO's showed a good bit of difference. The zilch XO that Tom helped me out really smoothed that build out to a pretty spectacular cheap coaxial surround build. I have been more than happy with it for almost 3 years now. The stock XO's still did a decent job and now that I have a good bit more knowledge and ability to measure I need to get this thread back on the board with some new response graphs.

To answer your question though, the d220ti at that time was the best, I would love to try out Erich's de250 clones on the same 10cx's and see what could be had there. I feel like it would be an even better setup, provided the XO was done properly. Ok, I guess that means I need to step my XO game up now too.....Jeez

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #110 of 110 Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah on using Erich's DE250 clones! I used the B&C 250's in my mains, would be really sweet to have them (ie the clones) in my surrounds. To bad I dont know diddly squat on XO design, me and physics don't get along.

The "newer" eminence crossover is at 2.5 k vice the 3.5 k of the one you used, apparently they started with the 3.5 and really tweeked it for the project in the link. But could be marketing BS. I do like the built in the US aspect of eminence, still concerned on the 2002S CD, it is almost as expensive as the DE250.

Sorry for posting so much, I'm stuck in a hospital in Bangkok with nothing else to do! Hopefully I get released tomorrow, 6 days is to f'n long to be stuck in bed.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page