post #181 of 208 Old 01-11-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I just tried a receiver for the very first time on my speakers and it shut down at reference levels. I had to run it at -7 db's from reference for it to stay on. It did sound pretty good and I was not using my subs, just my speakers on full range. I can say this, my speakers do a really good job by themselves to 25 hz. I am trying different things with these speakers(amps and processor). All I know is that I want HD audio for sure and Audyssey did sound good at every seat. My speakers are 4 ohms but very sensitive so I am not sure what the clones are?

In passive mode, they are 4 ohm. BTW... which receiver did you try? I'm using a Sony STR-DG1000 (120 x7) and it has yet to shutdown on me at any level. Then again, I've only tested short clips (5 to 15 minutes) at very high levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 208 Old 01-11-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I am testing the denon 2310. I ran The Dark Night and as soon as the window blew out in the very beginning it turned off. I am running passive mode right now but soon I will be biamping which will make the system go from 101 db's sensitive to 105 db's.
post #183 of 208 Old 02-19-2010, 10:24 AM

Liked: 15
Chucky - what did you use for dampening material in your SC-2150's? I've been lost in on-line damping discussions. Is there a reason you didn't use polyfill or the damping materials from PE? Do you know what QSC uses for dampening?

Thanks again
post #184 of 208 Old 02-19-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post

Chucky - what did you use for dampening material in your SC-2150's? I've been lost in on-line damping discussions. Is there a reason you didn't use polyfill or the damping materials from PE? Do you know what QSC uses for dampening?

Thanks again

No idea what QSC uses. I just used fiberglass insulation and lined all inner walls.
post #185 of 208 Old 02-19-2010, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post

Thanks again

I used carpet padding on the walls. I see zero reason to spend money on even the PE stuff.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #186 of 208 Old 02-21-2010, 11:56 AM

Liked: 10
Nice looking project. I have been pondering the QSC HPR153i's for awhile now, but the cost factor and aesthetics kept me from going further than just looking.

I think I read that penngray is planning to build a clone and I await his build thread. I have attached a poor quality concept of what I am thinking based on reading many of the waveguide threads.
LL
post #187 of 208 Old 02-21-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by swnewell View Post

Nice looking project. I have been pondering the QSC HPR153i's for awhile now, but the cost factor and aesthetics kept me from going further than just looking.

I think I read that penngray is planning to build a clone and I await his build thread. I have attached a poor quality concept of what I am thinking based on reading many of the waveguide threads.

The 153's require a different crossover and I don't think you can use the standard 2150 crossover in a WTMW configuration.
post #188 of 208 Old 02-22-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have the waveguide, CD and mid range woofer for it. I alos have some other woofers lying around but I have almost zero time these days to get into the garage

I just started measuring the 152i clone.

btw, what are you considering that HPR-153 over the HPR-152?

post #189 of 208 Old 02-22-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

btw, what are you considering that HPR-153 over the HPR-152?

While the HPR-152 seems to be the more common build, I like the idea of a single driver covering the dialog/vocal range. Chucky's build of the SC-2150 looks pretty cool - but I lack a AT screen so the aesthetics of speakers is more of a concern (WAF).

Looks like a design based on the SC-2150 but with a more traditional bass cabinet may be the ticket, instead of the active HPR-153. Then I could use the SC-2150 crossover instead of trying to measure and figure out my own (I am NOT proficient at mathematics and/or crossover design [I dropped out of engineering school and went microbiology instead]). Thinking I would go open baffle (2x thickness baltic birch) for the horn assembly. I believe I would need to keep the same drivers, crossover, and volume/porting of the bass cabinet as in the SC-215. Passive seems to be a cheaper option than buying the active amplifier module for the HPR-153 (Part No. WP-153001-00, $462.35/ea).

After reading more info (all day yesterday) seems like I may not need a center channel. However, the thread you have and the one by Augerpro suggest that the HPR-152 may be more than sufficient. Looking for mains that don't suck compared to my Mal-X subwoofer (based on NeoDan's 24" sealed)

If I go any further I will start my own thread - I would hate to hijack this thread as I want to see where it leads.

SWN
post #190 of 208 Old 02-22-2010, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

While the HPR-152 seems to be the more common build, I like the idea of a single driver covering the dialog/vocal range. Chucky's build of the SC-2150 looks pretty cool - but I lack a AT screen so the aesthetics of speakers is more of a concern (WAF).

Looks like a design based on the SC-2150 but with a more traditional bass cabinet may be the ticket, instead of the active HPR-153. Then I could use the SC-2150 crossover instead of trying to measure and figure out my own (I am NOT proficient at mathematics and/or crossover design [I dropped out of engineering school and went microbiology instead]). Thinking I would go open baffle (2x thickness baltic birch) for the horn assembly. I believe I would need to keep the same drivers, crossover, and volume/porting of the bass cabinet as in the SC-215. Passive seems to be a cheaper option than buying the active amplifier module for the HPR-153 (Part No. WP-153001-00, $462.35/ea).

After reading more info (all day yesterday) seems like I may not need a center channel. However, the thread you have and the one by Augerpro suggest that the HPR-152 may be more than sufficient. Looking for mains that don't suck compared to my Mal-X subwoofer (based on NeoDan's 24" sealed)

If I go any further I will start my own thread - I would hate to hijack this thread as I want to see where it leads.

SWN

start your own thread but I would say the dialog/vocal range, goes lower then you think and those mid-range choices in the 3-way isnt good enough in my books. a two way with a might woofer handling all the way up to 1500 is key (IMO).

I would really love a horn that handles 600Hz to 15KHz!!!

post #191 of 208 Old 02-22-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This compression driver will do 630 hz-19 khz

with this waveguide

post #192 of 208 Old 02-22-2010, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

MK, I wonder what the "real" performance is down that low. Im not sold on what any spec sheet says.

post #193 of 208 Old 02-22-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

JBL uses electronic crossovers for their triamped version at 630 hz and the biamped version gets a passive crossover at 800hz(What I am using).
post #194 of 208 Old 05-06-2010, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi All,

Here's a link to another SC-2150 clone build in Canada. He's using a different woofer for his build.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum...ic.php?t=15921
post #195 of 208 Old 12-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Just rediscovered this thread. Don't know if this is apporpriate or not but I have a pair of the SC-2150 waveguides, pair of the CDs, a pair of the woofers and a quad of the mounting brackets. I bought them to experiment but had no time. I know QSC isn't selling parts anymore so if anyone is interested, drop me a line.

JoshK on most other audio forums
post #196 of 208 Old 09-12-2011, 08:33 PM

I aquired a pair of these waveguides. From the pictures of the crossovers, I almost have a schematic drawn.

Before I go any further, did anyone trace the crossover circuit from the board and draw a schematic?

Thanks!
post #197 of 208 Old 06-08-2012, 09:17 PM

WOW I just want to say thanks for this post....I just stummbled upon it.....

I have recently been RE-Motivated about getting my Speaker line going by some industry affiliates that have listened to my theater and not relising that what they were listening to were MY custom built speakers
Also haveing a contractor friend come check out my new theater and being blown away while we were working out the details to a custom theater I wired about 3 years ago as the room is getting close finally to having me make it "sing"

As the AV Industry is changing Ive been toying with the idea of producing speakers as another division of my company and the more I read and see whats going on in the industry and the more positive feedback I get the more I see the need to get this going.

Its also the guys on here that Im seeing are discovering things I have discovered a long time ago and said hmmmm? what if I was to offer something like that to my customers? I only know of one other company that is producing products based on the professional world and from what I see there is a market for it. What I do know atleast where I am conducting business there is no one that even knows, let alone attemps some of the technics that I have been utilizing for years in Home Theater.....

So although my reply has nothing to do with your system other then me saying..... HOLY "S" youve done some incredible work there! I wanted to say thanks for sharing this experience as again it motivates me just that much more to get a move on with it!
post #198 of 208 Old 06-09-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Vic,

I checked out your website and I don't see much detail on your theater. Can you please post some more details, images and frequency graphs?

Thanks,
dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #199 of 208 Old 06-29-2012, 12:01 AM

I will take smore pics....Im working on a revamp ov my website and its tottally down right this minute. They say it will take a few hours for it to come back up.....I dont know what I did.

I dont know how I can get freguency graphs other then taking pics of my sofware RTA while in action......

Not sure if thats what your looking for but Ill give you more info if you looking for specfics.'

Vic
post #200 of 208 Old 06-29-2012, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic C View Post

I dont know how I can get freguency graphs other then taking pics of my sofware RTA while in action.
Vic
Vic, if your S/W won't allow you to save images directly, use a print screen app like Gadwin Print Screen and crop and save it using a free graphics program. Then post it.
post #201 of 208 Old 06-30-2012, 01:34 PM

Heres some snapshots I was able to extract from a video I recored from listening to some Diana Krall and an instrumental at 0db ref level....

Sounds very clean WOW and one one of my 12 year old towers is starting to show its age. At low volume there is very early signs of voice coil deformation. The coil(s) arent rubbing but there is some very low distortion that sounds like the magnet gaps are not 100% even any more. and at low volume its audible to the trained ear. Other wise the speaker sounds fine at normal levels even lower then reference. Ive driven my towers during testing to points beyond their ratings and they have done extreamly well. For 12 year old prototypes. Im more then happy with them. Ill have new 2012 models complete soon and will replace these guys.

But heres the pics extracted fom realtime video. The Blue " peak" Shadow you can see in pic 3 of the RTA is hitting right at 85DB....Im using a standard Audyssey Mic plugged into my laptop.....If its good enough for Audyssey it should be close enough to get a decant basic readings.
I uploaded the video to my companies facebook site as it was too big for AVS or something so I linked it here

post #202 of 208 Old 07-29-2012, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I was able to locate all the parts needed to buld a 2150 clone as you did. How did you locate the internal parts list? I can copy and paste your parts, add to cart and purchase but I was thinking of DIY a smaller speaker, maybe the SC 312 or SC 412 but I cant locate which woofer, crossover, or wave guide it uses to build a clone. HELP!! Thank you..
post #203 of 208 Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I realize this is a crazy old thread, but it looks like PE has the SC-2150 woofers on buy-out for 58.47/ea if you buy four or more. I still have 3 of these waveguides for yet another build that never took off, but I just can see spending $360 on woofers that will just sit boxed up in the garage forever. If anyone is on the fence, or wants to complete theirs, the site/link listed on in the first post has them priced at about twice what PE does.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-418

YID DIY
post #204 of 208 Old 11-20-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Looneybomber,

Although they look the same, the woofers are different models. Look at the first page of the thread and you'll that the motor is much smaller on the PE buyouts. They also model differently.

http://celestion.com/product/97/tf1530/

With that said, they could work very well in the same application all the while saving roughly 50% in cost. I think they're a good buy.
post #205 of 208 Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 401
I think those PE woofer buyouts were designed for a Trace Elliot guitar style speaker.
post #206 of 208 Old 11-21-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky08016 View Post

Hi Looneybomber,
Although they look the same, the woofers are different models. Look at the first page of the thread and you'll that the motor is much smaller on the PE buyouts. They also model differently.
http://celestion.com/product/97/tf1530/
With that said, they could work very well in the same application all the while saving roughly 50% in cost. I think they're a good buy.

Well disregard my post. I saw TE-BS-15300 on the the factory sticker, so I thought it was the 1530 model. I won't be buying any though, I have too many other projects to finish first.

YID DIY
post #207 of 208 Old 12-11-2012, 06:17 PM

hello,

did you use any other subs except the dayton 12" ?
post #208 of 208 Old 12-21-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Montana View Post

hello,
did you used any other subs except the dayton 12" ?

Yup, Mach 5 Audio had a promotion on 18's last year that were named the XMASS 18. I picked up 4 of them and use then in sealed enclosures powered by Behringer iNuke amps. These were budget 18" subs that have fantastic low end capabilities.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page