El-cheapo pair of fullranges with FOUR 4-inch drivers each? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-07-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had this little 4" speaker lying around, and out of boredom i built it a nice cardboard box. After hooking it up to my amp i was impressed by the amount of bass it could put out with such a small size (and in a cardboard box!), also the mids were crystal clear and it extends quite a bit in the treble range.

I remember i paid like $5 for it, so i thought, if one can sound pretty nice, what would eight of them do? For $60 including materials i could build me a pair of fullrange speakers. What do you think?

Here's my ghetto contraption, complete with rag squeezed between the top of the box and the wooden shelf it sits in, so it doesn't vibrate.

Box has a volume of 4 liters, that was figured out by plugging this speaker's parameters into some random online calculator, even though my driver looks more like this, but it has good low frequency extension so it must be closer to the first one in parameters. So basically random ass driver in a random ass box, and it happens to sound pretty decent.

Of course, this cardboard box is just child's play - i have the equipment needed to measure T/S parameters at home so their absence won't be a problem. Right now i'm at my grandparents' place, and of course this 4" is a joke compared to the 12" sub i have here, but let me explain the situation at my home better.

Space is the biggest concern there, i can hardly fit anything more in my room back home. I currently have a pair of homemade speakers with 8" woofers and 4" tweeters that i bought off someone a couple years ago, for $15 each. I managed to blow one of the tweeters, so i bought new ones. The ones i bought are of very high SPL compared to the woofers (that have a measly 86dB/1W/1m rating), so the sound is overly bright. Also the woofers are very very poor in reproducing midrange. I got a small wooden 5.1 system to complement them, and currently i run the homemade speakers as fullrange fronts, and use center, rears and sub off the 5.1. That made a big improvement in the midrange, but the highs are still overly bright, and neither the fronts nor the little sub can go much under 40Hz, so there is a lot of midbass but no low bass at all. I want to get rid of all of this.

If i were to build these fullranges, i would cross them over at ~60Hz 2nd order and complement them with a 8" or 10" subwoofer in a bandpass box. 10" is the biggest i can fit in there. I believe i could get by without a tweeter, but i could add a 3" tweeter if i feel like i need it.

Any input? PS. I don't wanna bother with ordering speakers online, i'll stick with what i can find locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page