Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 09-26-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So, I got about 2 hours of sleep last night. Woke up and headed to the stores as soon as they opened! I got my tnuts and screws....and then went home and wired things up.

So I was wandering the stores and I stumbled across something neat. These are 'Bow Rollers' used on boat trailers. It's a firm rubber type material but I don't have to actually attach them to the sub...and they work amazing for absorbing vibration. They cost me $2 each and I am soooo glad I found them. This sub is a tank and I was dreading the thought of installing legs of some kind.

So here's the sub all hooked up. I turned it on and ran my HK EZset EQ. I had the sub on about 2.5 gain...and it scared the crap outta me.
post #93 of 104 Old 09-26-2009, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't have an spl meter or rew so I won't be doing any measuring yet. My first impression is that it sounds amazing. In the first 10 minutes of playing some music...I've heard and felt bass I have never felt before. I felt the actual concrete shake in Bass I Love You. I don't even have the pEQ setup properly yet...if anyone has any advice feel free to shoot some my way. I love this sub...

Back to the build....let me say this.
Wiring is pretty simple, anyone can do it with ease so don't worry about it.
Install tnuts/hurricane nuts before you put it all together, you'll thank yourself later
If you're doing a glossy finish...once you're done sanding and filling all your imperfections...stop, take a break and then do it all over again because it's not good enough!! Can't say enough that it's deceiving and you really need to take your time prepping it before paint.

The other thing I've learned is that it's really not as many first-timers might think it is. Just have patience and expect to take a good while to build it. Take your time and do it right the first time. We all have the best resource in the world....AVS Forum. Thanks to Mayhem for the original ideas and all those who posted advice or thoughts in the thread. I hope that somebody can use at least part of this thread to help them build their own. Feel free to ask me any questions in PM or here.

I better go start cleaning up the bloody mess I made of the living/dining room!!! Thanks again everyone...I LOVE IT!!!
post #94 of 104 Old 09-26-2009, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I've looked around for an SPL meter. Haven't found a great deal yet. I'll just keep my eyes open...maybe someone on here will be selling one. Anyway, I never mentioned it in this thread but I built a second enclosure to the same specs as the first. It's only been glued together...nothing more. I'm thinking of maybe veneering this one. It's likely I'll sell it...or put a Shiva/O-audio amp in it and then sell it.

Looking forward to running REW. There's only one store locally that sells an SPL meter and it's made by Scosche...yeah I know. I'll keep my eyes open.
post #95 of 104 Old 09-27-2009, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man....I know if I start asking questions it's a slippery slope from here, but here goes

I've followed your component selection and build progress with interest and you've done a great job. I know you had a PA-120 (me too) and I would be interested in your impression of how it compared with your new sub.

Also, is the O-Audio amp a completely sealed unit or does it have a plastic enclosure similar to the PE 500 watt amp?

Thanks...great build thread.
post #96 of 104 Old 09-27-2009, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just looking View Post

Man....I know if I start asking questions it's a slippery slope from here, but here goes

I've followed your component selection and build progress with interest and you've done a great job. I know you had a PA-120 (me too) and I would be interested in your impression of how it compared with your new sub.

Also, is the O-Audio amp a completely sealed unit or does it have a plastic enclosure similar to the PE 500 watt amp?

Thanks...great build thread.

I think the reason the PA-120 or BIC H-100 subs are as popular as they are (apart from their price) is because they give people a taste (albeit small) of real HT sound. I really did like my PA-120 and I'm sure you do too. Here's the difference for me.
I ran my PA-120 hot with the gain even up to 6 or 7. When I plugged in my Shiva I had the volume on about 2.5 or 25% and it kinda shocked me at first. It was apparent from the very first few seconds that now I had a sub that had actual power.
Playing 'Bass I Love You' with a PA-120 is a bit awkward. It doesn't dig down low enough but even the parts it plays down low start to roll off in volume because it just doesn't have that oomph. Playing the same song with my new sealed Shiva leaves you not with a lack of power...but with a feeling of bass that you've perhaps never heard/felt before. It's like having a car with more power than you can even use...except on the odd short burst. Unlike using the PA-120....I now am faced with a subwoofer that needs to be tamed, not tweaked just to maximize it's output.

The O-Audio amp is exactly like the third picture above. No enclosure.

Also keep in mind that I haven't properly set up the parametric EQ and boost yet. I went to about 6 different stores last night and nobody had an SPL meter except one...but it was a cheapie. I'll probably order one online today if I can find a decent deal.
post #97 of 104 Old 09-27-2009, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the reply and the car analogy. I've been down that very steep slope too... add modifications to hear, feel and control the power when you can't use it....let's call it headroom.

FWIW, I recently purchased a used RS digital meter off of eBay, looks like new. They regularly sell for @$30-35 shipped. Played with it all yesterday, re-ran Audyssey many times, the Avia disk, changed speaker placement, etc.. I chose the RS because it seem an accepted standard on AVS and there are (several?) good correction tables available.
post #98 of 104 Old 09-27-2009, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've looked, even right now...and can't find one for $30-$35. Wait...I found one being auctioned in 3 hours...
post #99 of 104 Old 09-27-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Wait...I found one being auctioned in 3 hours

Yep, PM you too.
post #100 of 104 Old 09-27-2009, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I won the auction and got the 33-2055 digital version used for $22US. Hopefully have it by next weekend.
post #101 of 104 Old 09-28-2009, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 View Post

It was apparent from the very first few seconds that now I had a sub that had actual power.

Playing the same song with my new sealed Shiva leaves you not with a lack of power...but with a feeling of bass that you've perhaps never heard/felt before. It's like having a car with more power than you can even use...except on the odd short burst. Unlike using the PA-120....I now am faced with a subwoofer that needs to be tamed, not tweaked just to maximize it's output.

glad to see it exceeds your expectations.

what are the dimensions of your room?

if you still have your old sub, folks would love to see comparison measurements.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #102 of 104 Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

glad to see it exceeds your expectations.

what are the dimensions of your room?

if you still have your old sub, folks would love to see comparison measurements.

My old sub was a PA-120 but I sold it to help pay for the Shiva/O-Audio amp. I'll be doing some measuring as soon as that RS meter gets here. The measurements are about 12w x 16d.
post #103 of 104 Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 PM

Can you list out things you would have changed or did change after building the first box? I know you mentioned you would do somethings different, so I was wondering what all they were.

Also, do you have a link or drawing of the sizes you CNC'd each piece of wood? I really like the look/size of this sub and have the approval of the 'boss' to build a sub, but I didn't see in the thread the sizes of the cuts you made.
post #104 of 104 Old 04-17-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by canklz View Post

Can you list out things you would have changed or did change after building the first box? I know you mentioned you would do somethings different, so I was wondering what all they were.

Also, do you have a link or drawing of the sizes you CNC'd each piece of wood? I really like the look/size of this sub and have the approval of the 'boss' to build a sub, but I didn't see in the thread the sizes of the cuts you made.

This thread was from mid/late 2009. Also, you might have better luck PM'ing him as he'll for sure see that when/IF he returns. He hasn't been on here since December

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page