Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #631 of 10055 Old 11-02-2009, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I believe he was talking about the impedance spikes and how they make the horn work much like with a ported enclosure but over multiple areas (like a ported enclosure with multiple ports all working together with different tuning frequencies). Just a guess though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 10055 Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLee View Post

Ricci, looking at the impedance, the DTS-10 looks like it would have about 3 coupling regions (depends on where the low pass is.... 100hz?). So think of it like 3 ports spread out over the passband which can really reduce the xmax bottle neck(s) of the system over all (I think that answers your questoin?)- but keep in mind, this is technically not a port. In fact a port tuning point is more efficient in terms of SPL/displacement then the horn, but in the case of 4th order vented system, you only get one! For this reason 6th order systems might be more comparable, after all, 4th order systems pretty much behave like sealed boxes above the tuning point.

Actually they appear more similar to an 8th order to me, at-least in the effective reduction of driver excursion in the passband. 8th order has 3 effective areas of reduction in driver excursion. Some of it's behavior will obviously be quite different because there aren't any ports per se and you have a very long expanding horn path instead. TH's seem to follow a pattern of in and out of coupling with relation to the cabinet above the knee related to the path length and the distance from the back wave to the frontwave. It's wacky for sure.
post #633 of 10055 Old 11-02-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 125
"This is why I'd like to continue using my dual (or quad) 18's along with the DTS-10. I am really digging this super high sensitivity of this design, especially above 20hz."

I don't get it; what would the 18's do that the DTS-10 couldn't do better?

Noah
post #634 of 10055 Old 11-02-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Actually they appear more similar to an 8th order to me, at-least in the effective reduction of driver excursion in the passband. 8th order has 3 effective areas of reduction in driver excursion. Some of it's behavior will obviously be quite different because there aren't any ports per se and you have a very long expanding horn path instead. TH's seem to follow a pattern of in and out of coupling with relation to the cabinet above the knee related to the path length and the distance from the back wave to the frontwave. It's wacky for sure.

Sure a proper 8th order would also be a good candidate. I believe bose still owns a patent on that, but I'm not 100% sure what that entails.

data-bass.com
@databass_audio
post #635 of 10055 Old 11-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 607
MOAR BASS!!!

Hehehehe. If they were sealed then I would be all that <20hz gain I am looking for plus all the darn bass that would come out of them too. Another nice addition is that I would have more subwoofers to move around to different spots in the room to work with room/bass interactions.

I really don't have the heart to get rid of these 18's. I love them too much. Why not use them?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #636 of 10055 Old 11-02-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 807
smooth room modes? :-)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #637 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

I would expect the phase response to look like a roller coaster as it passes in and out of these "coupling regions". Anyone have any issues with that?
post #638 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

I'm not sure if this was meant as a joke or not, but this is my experience. A few months ago we had tornados and a massive thunder storm that took place very close to my house. The lightning was striking within a 2km radius. It actually struck someone's yard. Two of these strikes were so strong, I felt it through the concrete floor of my apartment building. This is a 20 story apartment building. The sound was much louder than any firework display I've ever heard/felt and I've been to the Bensen Hedges Symphony of Fire. I was excited because I've never heard/felt anything like that in my life.

A tornado is loud....I watched the 1979 Tornado hit Woodstock it came right at my house, we had a huge family room window and it was a monster. I will never forget it, that was 30 years ago and I was 10. It turned on top of the hill and destroyed a block over.

The lightening storm before it was just crazy amazing. Hit two trees in the field beside us.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #639 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

A tornado is loud....I watched the 1979 Tornado hit Woodstock it came right at my house, we had a huge family room window and it was a monster. I will never forget it, that was 30 years ago and I was 10. It turned on top of the hill and destroyed a block over.

The lightening storm before it was just crazy amazing. Hit two trees in the field beside us.

You mean one of these?

dbldare

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #640 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That is damn fine car

post #641 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is damn fine car

Yeah but loud and reckless I guess!

dbl

post #642 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post

Yeah but loud and reckless I guess!

dbl

The UC? Are you kidding?
Try this. Or the classic...

post #643 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 10:08 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

A tornado struck a bunch of houses right across the lake from my house. As the tornado headed to my house it hopped up over my house and touched down about three lots over from my house. You could hear it as it passed over head. it sounded like a freight train running through my living room. I will never forget that sound.
post #644 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Any word from Ivan or Mike on Show East? Updates on any testing, or delivery timelines on drivers?

David Budo
post #645 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had lightning hit very close to me when I was camping and it was MUCH louder than a 160dB high-powered rifle. I looked on the web and the consensus seems to be about 120dB for thunder but they must be measuring thunder way up in the sky somewhere -- it's WAY louder than that when you're close to the strike. Probably the old add 6dB every time you cut the distance in half thing -- 60dB difference between 10 feet and 2 miles.

Dennis H
post #646 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not just the loudness of the lightning, but the frequencies that are pushed and how they impact you, that leave the lasting memories.

David Budo
post #647 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 607
A 10dB difference is perceived as "twice as loud" then if it were 20dB louder than this high power rifle you refer to than the lightning strike could have sounded four times as loud. The sounds....pretty freakin loud, I must say.

This thread needs more DTS-10.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #648 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
A little update for you guys...units will be shipping shortly. Just waiting on the drivers to be shipped for the masses. My prototype unit is just shipped from DSL in Georgia today. Mine is shipped without drivers since they run out, but Tom is shipping me 2 that he has at his house tomorrow. May be building by the weekend. Pics will follow as soon as I get the different bits in.

Ricci will have the first one of the first run of kits as soon as the drivers come in. That should be in a week or week and a half. That actually works out for him as his band will be on tour for the next several days.

Tom is pretty busy doing some other things so we will have to wait on his comments on some of the recent discussions we have had on the thread.

I think my wife is in for a scare when this package arrives. I explain how big it is, but she is not the type to actually be able to visualize the bulk of this sub. Hopefully I will be home when it gets in so she won't have to figure out a way to get it inside. The ups freight guy I had the last time was really cool and didn't mind bringing stuff inside even though he wasn't really allowed to.
post #649 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Any word from Ivan or Mike on Show East? Updates on any testing, or delivery timelines on drivers?

I have not had much time to talk to Mike since he got back. But he did say they had good traffic and the DTS10 did very well.
I have been out of the office quite a bit lately.

There are a bunch of kits "in line" to be cut and should be available for shipment very shortly. The office can tell you more-give them a buzz.

No idea on the drivers-but they should be available in a couple of weeks.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #650 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not just the loudness of the lightning, but the frequencies that are pushed and how they impact you, that leave the lasting memories.

Very true. Bringing it back on the subwoofer topic, when lightning hits close to you it's definitely got the chest-pounding bass thing going on. It also lasts longer than a rifle shot so the perceived loudness is greater for the same peak SPL.

Dennis H
post #651 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Ivan.

Catapult,
Very true.

David Budo
post #652 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 04:58 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

A tornado struck a bunch of houses right across the lake from my house. As the tornado headed to my house it hopped up over my house and touched down about three lots over from my house. You could hear it as it passed over head. it sounded like a freight train running through my living room. I will never forget that sound.

Everyone always says that a tornado sounds like a freight train.

Did you ever wonder what they sounded like to the pioneers on the plains before trains?
post #653 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah they probably said, "did you hear that tornado?! It sounded like a DTS-10!"

Dbl

post #654 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 View Post

Did you ever wonder what they sounded like to the pioneers on the plains before trains?

Like Paul Bunyan taking a crap next to your house

David Budo
post #655 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 394
I hope these DTS-10's can compete, I just watched GI joe and demoed Transformers 2 and the bass was just incredible. I hope I know what I am doing.
post #656 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I hope these DTS-10's can compete, I just watched GI joe and demoed Transformers 2 and the bass was just incredible. I hope I know what I am doing.

the GI Joe movie is action from beginning to end. Lots of bass!!!
post #657 of 10055 Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 125
"I don't get it; what would the 18's do that the DTS-10 couldn't do better?"

I can't believe I asked that, when the following question was also in my mind:

How would a DTS-10 mesh with a pair of sealed Mael 18's?

I'm pretty much committed to keeping the latter, as I went to no end of trouble getting them installed in a 14 cf box that's behind the listening room back wall, spanning two closets.

I have two more drivers to put behind the wall in the front of the room, but there's room for a DTS-10.

The benefit, as others have said, would be smoother response; in fact, it's by the (Harman) book, as they're on opposite mid-walls.

But I wonder if the Mael's would dilute the sound quality of the DTS-10, and then there's the phase issue V mentioned.

One thing I could do is HP the Mael's at 20 Hz and let the DTS-10 handle the bottom octave; my room's 1st mode is at 26 Hz so there would still be the odd-order mode cancellation of the subs working together.

Noah
post #658 of 10055 Old 11-04-2009, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 View Post

Times may have changed since the pioneer days, but it is a historic fact that pioneers never had enough bass either. I can just imagine what the AVS forum would have looked like in the old days. A bunch of guys sitting around a campfire with each one trying to prove who has the loudest bass.

After doing a Bing search on this issue, I did find a timely video of a bunch of pioneers sitting around a campfire. They never knew when enough was enough either!

Pioneers discussing "I need more bass" link here

DIY version link here
post #659 of 10055 Old 11-04-2009, 08:03 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

As a quick post, we played the latest Transformers almost continuously at Show East. Our demo room was many times larger than any HT discussed on this forum. The DTS10 held its own just fine and remember we had the TH221 sitting there as well! The TH221 wins hands down in a maximum output but you are dealing with a sensitivity of 103dB@20Hz and power handling of 3000 watts RMS!! I also had the TH50 and there is no question the DTS10 does everything it does but goes substantially lower. At one point I played a 15Hz sine wave through the systems and switched between the three subs. The TH50 didn't even come close to reproducing it and both the DTS10 and TH221 easily reproduced it. Fact is you couldn't really tell between the TH221 and the DTS10 @ 15Hz.
Show East is the commercial cinema show with huge movie studio participation and while I know most of these commercial rooms can't hold a candle to a serious HT, many that I spoke with are very much aware of the need for improving the audio experience as well as the HD video side. Most of the projectors being demo'd cost more than most folks homes! Danley Sound Labs' demo created a serious buzz at the show and I have no doubt we will be going into several cinemas around the world.

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.
post #660 of 10055 Old 11-04-2009, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedden View Post

As a quick post, we played the latest Transformers almost continuously at Show East. Our demo room was many times larger than any HT discussed on this forum. The DTS10 held its own just fine and remember we had the TH221 sitting there as well! The TH221 wins hands down in a maximum output but you are dealing with a sensitivity of 103dB@20Hz and power handling of 3000 watts RMS!! I also had the TH50 and there is no question the DTS10 does everything it does but goes substantially lower. At one point I played a 15Hz sine wave through the systems and switched between the three subs. The TH50 didn't even come close to reproducing it and both the DTS10 and TH221 easily reproduced it. Fact is you couldn't really tell between the TH221 and the DTS10 @ 15Hz.
Show East is the commercial cinema show with huge movie studio participation and while I know most of these commercial rooms can't hold a candle to a serious HT, many that I spoke with are very much aware of the need for improving the audio experience as well as the HD video side. Most of the projectors being demo'd cost more than most folks homes! Danley Sound Labs' demo created a serious buzz at the show and I have no doubt we will be going into several cinemas around the world.

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

Congrats!!

The industry has to improve because more and more people have better systems in their homes for movies. I know I do not bother with movies because of my room.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page