Danley DTS-10 "Super Spud" DIY kit - Page 339 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #10141 of 10148 Old 04-26-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by grap3 View Post
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. What's a filter?

I don't know - I've been asking for over a number of years in this thread as to why my drivers keep dying and no one can give me an answer.

I'm on the verge of either fixing mine or getting rid of it entirely - an assembled kit only, my drivers and replacement drivers are fried. If I were to get rid of it, would you be interested? I'm located in the Chicagoland area.
I am definitely interested. Sent PM earlier today. Please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10142 of 10148 Old 04-27-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
A 12.5Hz 4th order Butterworth high pass filter of at least 24 dB/octave is required.
Does this hold true in cases where the wattage being fed is nowhere near its limit (e.g. 500w/cabinet)?I.e. does one risk damaging the drivers if one does not use a high pass filter and only feeds the cabinet 500 watts?

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
post #10143 of 10148 Old 04-27-2015, 03:34 PM
GPM

Liked: 14
It's basically a bass reflex below its ~13 Hz minima, so will exceed Xmax at just a small fraction of its rated power by ~10 Hz and a half octave away maybe can handle a few watts, though of course it can handle a bit more before 'letting its smoke out' from bouncing the VC off the back plate too hard at Xmech assuming it doesn't rip its surround first, which often results in cocking the VC in the gap, cooking it.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #10144 of 10148 Old 04-27-2015, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
...A 12.5Hz 4th order Butterworth high pass filter of at least 24 dB/octave is required.
The Danley website spec sheet for the DTS-10 still lists this:
"Recommended Processing................................ 10 Hz HP @ 24dB/Butterworth"

Unfortunately I still bottomed out one of the drivers and bent the voice coil former while using a HPF tuned to 12Hz.
However, since I've raised the cutoff to 14Hz I haven't had that problem again.
post #10145 of 10148 Old 04-27-2015, 10:41 PM
GPM

Liked: 14
Interesting! This should protect it if it's 24 dB octave, implying that there's a minor air leak somewhere. Have you measured it, i.e. an impedance plot?

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #10146 of 10148 Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post
Interesting! This should protect it if it's 24 dB octave, implying that there's a minor air leak somewhere. Have you measured it, i.e. an impedance plot?GM
No, I never made an impedance plot before, but I did have an air leak once when one of the screws holding a driver in place vibrated itself out.
From that experience I learned what an air leak sounds like, and that internal tooth lock washers just don't work well with drivers. (That's all the store had when I was first putting it together)
I found another store that had external tooth lock washers and replaced them all soon after. The screws haven't loosened one bit since then.

I've learned that a 12Hz HPF at 24dB/Oct just isn't enough if there's strong infrasonic material (STS-123 launch) played at too high a volume.
My room tends to null out <15Hz material anyway so I raised the HPF a couple of Hertz and all was well again.
post #10147 of 10148 Old Today, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS View Post
Does this hold true in cases where the wattage being fed is nowhere near its limit (e.g. 500w/cabinet)?I.e. does one risk damaging the drivers if one does not use a high pass filter and only feeds the cabinet 500 watts?
Damage can definitely still occur using 'less' power, but yeah, the more power you have the more potential for damage. The problem being below tune nothing is controlling cone excursion, so it may not take much power if there is a particularly hot track being played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo2.0 View Post
The Danley website spec sheet for the DTS-10 still lists this:
"Recommended Processing................................ 10 Hz HP @ 24dB/Butterworth"

Unfortunately I still bottomed out one of the drivers and bent the voice coil former while using a HPF tuned to 12Hz.
However, since I've raised the cutoff to 14Hz I haven't had that problem again.
I pulled the 12.5 Hz spec off of the test at Data-Bass; figured it would match the Danley info...must have changed, not a huge difference though. I suppose that the accuracy of whatever device being used to implement the filter comes into play as well...
post #10148 of 10148 Old Today, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So without having to search this monster thread, what are you guys using for your HPF?

I currently use a QSC dsp-30 which only goes down to 20hz so I'm looking for something new.

I want something that uses XLR, I had a minidsp previously and despised the Phoenix connection and could never get levels right with it. It was the balanced version.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs