myn's Tuba HT Review (LLT vs THT) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
DIY Speakers and Subs > myn's Tuba HT Review (LLT vs THT)
dbldare's Avatar dbldare 05:23 PM 11-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolt View Post

Got my plans. Gonna be a fun one!

Do you see now how to make the adjustments?

dbl

Revolt's Avatar Revolt 05:25 PM 11-17-2009
Yes i do, but i'm going to build the 24.5" version so no need
dbldare's Avatar dbldare 05:33 PM 11-17-2009
Myn,

Did you cut angles in your THT or did you use 90 degree angles and fill with PL? Or maybe a combination of both?

dbl
dbldare's Avatar dbldare 05:42 PM 11-17-2009
Quote:

Yes i do, but i'm going to build the 24.5" version so no need

I'm in the same boat. Thought about the 30", but probably go with the 24.5" If all goes well, I think two are in my future .

Please open a new thread on your build and post plenty of pics.

dbl
Revolt's Avatar Revolt 06:01 PM 11-17-2009
Ohh definately man. I'll probably get the plywood tomorrow. This things gonna destroy my room. My rooms only 1500 cubic feet. And it'll be corner loaded.
dbldare's Avatar dbldare 06:06 PM 11-17-2009
What are you running for mains? What about amplification to the THT?

dbl
Rightbrained's Avatar Rightbrained 06:10 PM 11-17-2009
Revolt , that THT is going to rock that 1500 cubic foot room.
I might be buying plywood this weekend for a THT build as well.
Revolt's Avatar Revolt 06:15 PM 11-17-2009
Not to mention i'm also running a th-spud clone. Haha. I'm gonna power it with an ep2500, just one channel of it. And i don't even wanna talk about my mains. I need new ones. So bad. Its horrible. I am thinking about building some recession busters? Or any advice would be great. I blew my polks cause i listen to loud for them btw i'm only 17 so the cheaper the better. thanks all.
dbldare's Avatar dbldare 06:29 PM 11-17-2009
I'm running an ep2500 too.

As for your mains, the recession busters look decent. These don't look too bad on a budget.

Madisound has some good kits too.

There a plenty of others. Especially with the NHT surplus sale. Just keep diggin' around here in the DIY area and you'll find quite a bit of info.

dbl
Revolt's Avatar Revolt 06:31 PM 11-17-2009
I like the one you linked on partsexpress.. is that price for the pair of them? I might buy that when i have the money if thats the case.
dbldare's Avatar dbldare 06:32 PM 11-17-2009
This look pretty cool

Here's a link to the "main" list.

dbl
dbldare's Avatar dbldare 06:32 PM 11-17-2009
Quote:

I like the one you linked on partsexpress.. is that price for the pair of them? I might buy that when i have the money if thats the case.

Each
Revolt's Avatar Revolt 06:34 PM 11-17-2009
Ohh yikes Nevvvvermind. And with my room i just realized i'd have to go with bookshelfs. So i'll keep looking around.
Rightbrained's Avatar Rightbrained 06:35 PM 11-17-2009
The tritrix kit is 199 for a complete kit to build a pair of speakers
dbldare's Avatar dbldare 06:57 PM 11-17-2009
Have you checked out the other builds on Bill's site? The SLA's look sweet as do the David's.

dbl
mynym's Avatar mynym 05:57 AM 11-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post

Myn,

Did you cut angles in your THT or did you use 90 degree angles and fill with PL? Or maybe a combination of both?

dbl

I cut angles on my panels however MaxMercy didn't as all of them are under 10 degrees and he just filled the minor gaps with PL. The only real angles you'd need to cut are the reflectors at a simple 45.

The boys over at BFM forums won't stress this enough. PL PL and more PL. Don't worry about how the horn looks like inside. Even after applying a thick bead of PL ajoining the panels and letting it squeeze out I'd always caulk both sides with more PL to give me confirmation there would be no air leaks. The pressure in the mouth of a horn is significantly higher than what you normally have inside a traditional alignment.

PL Premium can fill gaps up to 3/8"!! Pretty awesome stuff.
steve71's Avatar steve71 09:58 AM 11-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

... if I only had the space!

So how do these sum when you have clusters? Is it +6db for every doubling of cabs and 3hz lower f3?
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 10:39 AM 11-19-2009
I think the same rules apply when doubling cabs with horns. So with 6 horns you would be +15dB over a single horn but I don't know this for sure. I do know that when stacking like that you can effectively increase and lengthen the mouth area to get more extension. So you got lower with more horns. I've read on Bill's site that you can expect 2-4dB (or higher sometimes) more sensitivity from V-plating which is that triangle board up on top of the stack.

Talk about massive headroom!
dbldare's Avatar dbldare 11:09 AM 11-19-2009
Quote:

Talk about massive headroom!

Headroom?!?!? You and I wouldn't even have to duck when standing under that triangle, Scott! Oh, that's not what you meant.....

That would be sweet though! I just bought my driver from PE and now looking at some wood. I've been told (and read) that I shouldn't have a HD store cut the wood for me, but if they can get it close, then I can clean it up at home, right? Hell, at 25cents a cut...... and it'll fit better in my Durango.

I don't mind cutting it myself, but getting it home....
Opinions?

dbl
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 11:28 AM 11-19-2009
Quote:

Headroom?!?!? You and I wouldn't even have to duck when standing under that triangle, Scott! Oh, that's not what you meant.....

Ohh.....I see what you did there. Yah, I'm pretty short so a stack like that would be taller than me. If I ever do make that many, I'll be sure to take a picture of me in front of them all.

Quote:

That would be sweet though! I just bought my driver from PE and now looking at some wood. I've been told (and read) that I shouldn't have a HD store cut the wood for me, but if they can get it close, then I can clean it up at home, right? Hell, at 25cents a cut...... and it'll fit better in my Durango.

I don't mind cutting it myself, but getting it home....
Opinions?

dbl

Do the plans come with a cut sheet or anything like that? Depending on the size of the lumber when you buy it, you could have it cut down to size to fit in your Durango a bit better than the full sheet. When I was building my twins a couple years ago, I was lucky to be able to split the 4x8ft sheets in half to 4x4's. Those were easier to transport.
mynym's Avatar mynym 12:07 PM 11-19-2009
Use this free Cut List program. It will generate the cut sheet accounting for the most efficient use of the wood.

Then use that as a basis to determine how you can cut the large 4x8 sheets down to something more manageable to transport home.

I'd only chop it down enough to get the wood home. I wouldn't rely on HD or Lowes for accuracy. If you don't own a table saw, use the guide board and circular saw method documented in the plans. This method worked out very very well for me.

dbldare's Avatar dbldare 01:15 PM 11-19-2009
Scott,

Yes, it has cut sheets.

Mynym,

That sounds like a good idea. Just enough to get 'er home. I don't have a table saw, but I'll use the guide board approach.

BTW, I found two different types of Arauco Ply at Lowes. One was 15x32 (.46" thick), the other was 19/32 (.6" thick). Both were 5 ply but the 19x32 seemed like the better wood (stiffer). I'm not used to Ply (only built with MDF) so I don't know how much it's supposed to 'flex'. Which should I choose?

dbl
dbldare's Avatar dbldare 01:36 PM 11-19-2009
Myn,

One other question. I'm a little hesitant on the access hole cut. Would just drilling a "pilot" hole in each corner then using a jig saw work? My saw may be a skill saw, but that doesn't mean I have them too.

dbl
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar Bill Fitzmaurice 04:03 PM 11-19-2009
Quote:

Scott,

Yes, it has cut sheets.

Mynym,

That sounds like a good idea. Just enough to get 'er home. I don't have a table saw, but I'll use the guide board approach.

BTW, I found two different types of Arauco Ply at Lowes. One was 15x32 (.46" thick), the other was 19/32 (.6" thick). Both were 5 ply but the 19x32 seemed like the better wood (stiffer). I'm not used to Ply (only built with MDF) so I don't know how much it's supposed to 'flex'. Which should I choose?

dbl

15/32, which is nominal 1/2 inch. Anything thicker is unnecessary weight. Your house will fall down around you before you'll hear any vibration of the cab.
dbldare's Avatar dbldare 04:09 PM 11-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

15/32, which is nominal 1/2 inch. Anything thicker is unnecessary weight. Your house will fall down around you before you'll hear any vibration of the cab.

Thanks Bill. It just seems "flimsy", but you know what you're talking about.

What about amplification? I bought for my dual 18's an ep2500, but it sounds as if that's WAY overkill. What would you suggest? I've read about the Oaudio, what do you think about the Behringer A500?

dbl
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 04:11 PM 11-19-2009
Why buy another amp when you could just use your EP2500?
dbldare's Avatar dbldare 04:16 PM 11-19-2009
Quote:

Why buy another amp when you could just use your EP2500?

I thought that since the HTH is so efficient, I could buy a cheaper amp to run it, but I'm worried about the low end roll off. I don't know those stats.

I'll probably start with it, but may transfer it over to the 18's if I ever get around to building them. Man! I have an ep2500, Mic2200, and (2) eD190v.2's all still brand new and in original boxes! Now I bought the plans for this thing and I don't know what I'm gonna do with the rest!

dbl
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 04:23 PM 11-19-2009
I know... I got my two RLp18's in use in their LLT cabs plus two more sitting unused in shipping boxes. I don't want to sell them though.

If you have got the 2500 already you might as well use that as it is a spectacular amp and there will be gobs of headroom available for your THT. Maybe you will build another in the future or you could power one channel for the THT and the second with the eD drivers.

You've got a few options without having to spend money.
dbldare's Avatar dbldare 04:26 PM 11-19-2009
Quote:

I know... I got my two RLp18's in use in their LLT cabs plus two more sitting unused in shipping boxes. I don't want to sell them though.

If you have got the 2500 already you might as well use that as it is a spectacular amp and there will be gobs of headroom available for your THT. Maybe you will build another in the future or you could power one channel for the THT and the second with the eD drivers.

You've got a few options without having to spend money.

Damn! You sound like my wife ! Good advice. I think I'm gonna try to start building this weekend. Things around here for me, like everyone else, are kinda crazy. I'll post anything if I start 'er up.

dbl
Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian 04:28 PM 11-19-2009
Pfft...well, hell. If you wanna spend mo' money I ain't gonna hold ya back. Might as well buy another 2500/4000 if you are though.
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop