post #1 of 18 Old 11-12-2009, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just a heads up

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....-Stereo-Bassis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Multi sub Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Garage Audio !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-13-2009, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hey KG,

Thanks for the heads up on the Bassis and he accepted my offer so I should have it next week.

I did have a question since you are a wise veteran of the bassis. I use a Velodyne SMS-1 right now and would like to continue using it with the bassis but what would be the proper order of connection. I am thinking from my preamp into the bassis then SMS-1 then sub amps, is this correct?

Also what do I use to figure the data the bassis needs? Would I use the data that you can generate on WinISD pro's EQ/filter tab for an LT or run RoomEQWizard to measure the response? Could I use my SMS-1 to measure or is it not as accurate?

Thanks again.

Mike

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #3 of 18 Old 11-14-2009, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

IIRC, I used TrueRta and ran pink noise. I made all the corrections on the fly until it looked good. Then I ran sweeps with the mains+sub. then center+sub until they all looked smooth.

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #4 of 18 Old 11-14-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

So I should be able to do the same with the SMS-1 real time display then I can confirm the results with REQW.

Thanks for the help and the tip.

Mike

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #5 of 18 Old 11-14-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not sure what sub you have , but be fore warned, extending FR with the BASSIS eats up stroke and power, be careful.

I'm running quad Tumults with about 6kwatts in a smallish room, so it wasn't a real concern for me as they loaf most of the time.

If bottoming becomes an issue or your amp clips, just sacrafice some HZ so you don't cause problems.

Bosso can give you tips on dialing in your subs Qs and Qb, and explain things MUCH better than I.

What sub(s) are you running, and what drives them.

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #6 of 18 Old 11-14-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
KG,

I am sorry but this made me smile when I saw it "6kwatts in a smallish room".

James
post #7 of 18 Old 11-14-2009, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a bunch of different subs and have not decided on which to use yet. Right now I am running a Mal-X 18" and a dual 12" AC12 sub that I built for my brother in-laws new house and am currently testing. I am going to try the bassis on the Mal-X but not the AC12 sub. I got about 3kwatts going to the Mal-X so I am not too worried unless I smell smoke

Amps wise I have a QSC PLX-3402, PLX-3002 and (2) PLX-2502's.

I have a pair of Audiopulse Axis 12" that I was thinking of using with the Bassis powered by the 2502 pair. I was then going to add a TC3K in a 6 cu ft PR enclosure with dual 15" VMP's for the ULF. Of course the PR sub won't need the Bassis as it will be tuned to about 16hz.

The AP Axis alone will have about 4kwatts for the pair by themselves and those little suckers can take it. I will use my 2502 pair bridged into them.

I just picked up the Bassis as I have heard so many good things about it I had to try it for-myself.

My subwoofer set-up may be up in there air right now but at least I have the low-end EQ handled now.

Thanks for all the tips, can't wait to try it out.

post #8 of 18 Old 11-14-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

KG,

I am sorry but this made me smile when I saw it "6kwatts in a smallish room".

James

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #9 of 18 Old 11-14-2009, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 607
How dare he say that I only use one BASSIS????

Hey mj,

When you get it in line, I'll be glad to help you set it up in any way I can. It takes a few minutes and bingo, you're there.

Yes, before the SMS-1.

It will add a whole new dimension to the M-X sub.

Bosso
post #10 of 18 Old 11-15-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for offering your help Bosso.

I should have it by next week!

post #11 of 18 Old 11-15-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds like you have enough of both to get some extended FR.

I think mine has been installed for about five years and once I set it up, that was it.

What nice IIRC, Audyssey looks for the knee in the low level extention and EQ's what usable bass you have, if you have Audyssey processing. My system just keep sounding better with all these great Bells&Whistles !!!!!

But the real upgrade was the CIH AT SMX screen I DIY'd....frickin wow times ten.... Just a plug for the CIH guys

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #12 of 18 Old 11-16-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been doing some modeling with WinISD Pro and it seems with an LT to keep the driver excursion within limits and increase power handling and SPL you shrink the box size, is this correct?

If I go with a box Qtc in the 7 range you cannot feed it too much power without the excursion going crazy. If I then shrink the box qtc to the 8 range then power handling increases as well as SPL.

I have noticed people use much smaller boxes than WinISD recommends when using a Bassis so know I guess I know why if I am getting it right.

So what would be the best range of Qtc to design a box for using a bassis?

post #13 of 18 Old 11-16-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

But the real upgrade was the CIH AT SMX screen I DIY'd....frickin wow times ten.... Just a plug for the CIH guys

First I have heard of CIH screens were can I find out more info?

post #14 of 18 Old 11-16-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

I have been doing some modeling with WinISD Pro and it seems with an LT to keep the driver excursion within limits and increase power handling and SPL you shrink the box size, is this correct?

If I go with a box Qtc in the 7 range you cannot feed it too much power without the excursion going crazy. If I then shrink the box qtc to the 8 range then power handling increases as well as SPL.

I have noticed people use much smaller boxes than WinISD recommends when using a Bassis so know I guess I know why if I am getting it right.

So what would be the best range of Qtc to design a box for using a bassis?

You'll be fine anywhere between .7 and .8.

Which driver(s) are you modeling?

The idea with having a BASSIS in line is to be able to adjust the sub to the room and source. If you exceed X-max momentarily with hot low ended source, it's OK, but if it happens often, you need more sub.

The diff between say .7 and .75 is irrelevant. You can adjust that with stuffing if you care to, but the BASSIS can adjust the in-room response so easily and quickly that you'd never know the difference between the 2 boxes.

That's why I prefer the smaller of the 2 choices.

LMK when you get it fired up. Do you have measurement capabilities?

Bosso
post #15 of 18 Old 11-16-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a SMS-1 that I could measure with but I am not sure if that would be best.

I also have REQW and a Galaxy CM-140 but admittedly haven't used it in awhile.

Drivers wise I have a Mal-X 18", a pair of Audiopulse Axis 12", TC-3000 15", a bunch of ACI SV12's that I got off of clearance and a SV15 I got from Erich here on the forum.
Right now I am only using the Mal-X and a pair of the SV12's in an enclosure I made for my brother in-law and am testing.

Besides the Mal-X which drivers would you think might benefit the most from the bassis? I do like the AP Axis 12" that I picked up for cheap awhile back. The SV12's are impressing me too, they just don't have the bite those Axis do.

My problem is I build more subs for friends and family than I do for myself. I know the Mal-x is staying and probably the AP Axis. The SV12's are meant for friends and family builds along with some NHT Sub2 10"s I got from Jack Hidleys sale.

I was modeling up the Mal-X, dual AP Axis 12's and dual SV12's.

I just wish I could craft works of art like you Bosso.

Thank you.

Mike

post #16 of 18 Old 11-17-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Constant image hight CIH, Acoustically transparent AT. You will also need a panamorphic lens...This is some cool stuff !!

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #17 of 18 Old 11-19-2009, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The Bassis has arrived!

Doing some preliminary specs my Mal-X is in a small temporary box right now with a Q 0.823 so does that mean I set the Qs on the bassis to a shade over .8?
The Qb on the bassis is the Q you would like the box to be so I just put it at .7 to try out. I read in the manual that Qb is largely dependent on taste, .5 or smaller is for tighter bass, .7 gives the Maximally-flat response. I suppose I can listen to some material and figure which I like better.

I don't have a ton of time to try it out tonight as I have some business to do latter on but I did connect it between my pre-amp and Velodyne SMS-1 to see what it does. Now I am getting pretty flat response down to about 15hz were the SMS-1's HPF kicks in.
I didn't want to go crazy with the boost so I have it set to 12, is this too much? I did have 2 of the SMS-1 PEQ's boosting 6db's each at 20 and 28hz before and never had a problem.

What is the proper way to go about setting it up?

I am hoping to carve out some time this weekend to really dial it in and use REQW if needed.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike

post #18 of 18 Old 11-20-2009, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Take a look over here, it's the DIY area of CIH.

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page