post #91 of 243 Old 12-19-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post

Gotcha, I guess my paranoia got the best of me, wanted to make sure things were sealed up REALLY good!

LOL! You remind me of that old Super Glue commercial where the construction guy was hanging from a beam by his hard hat!

I used a ton too, especially when laying the final side down. I wanted to make sure that just in case I missed with some screws, that the PL would help me out.

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 243 Old 12-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post

I used a ton too, especially when laying the final side down. I wanted to make sure that just in case I missed with some screws, that the PL would help me out.

dbl

Same here. My buddy helping me was like WTF when I was caking it on for the last panel. I wasn't about to tear it apart because of an air leak.
post #93 of 243 Old 12-19-2009, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post

Same here. My buddy helping me was like WTF when I was caking it on for the last panel. I wasn't about to tear it apart because of an air leak.

That's exactly what my line of thinking was, I only want to build this thing once.
post #94 of 243 Old 12-19-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

PL is strong stuff. That's why I didn't try to take out the OSB I used. I would've ripped the panels up pretty good, so I left it in.

dbl

post #95 of 243 Old 12-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

PL is strong stuff. That's why I didn't try to take out the OSB I used. I would've ripped the panels up pretty good, so I left it in.

dbl

What did you use OSB for?

Add your favorite bass-heavy movies here; http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/
post #96 of 243 Old 12-19-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh man, it was ugly! I didn't know that the plans called for separate pieces of wood for panels 5 and 6 and I wanted solid pieces for them. I was going to go buy another 4 x 8 piece of ply when I remembered that I had a bit of OSB left over. So my panels #5 and #6 are made out of OSB. I braced them as good as I could (because Bill says that they will crumble over time) but we'll see how well that goes.

dbl

post #97 of 243 Old 12-19-2009, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Oh man, it was ugly! I didn't know that the plans called for separate pieces of wood for panels 5 and 6 and I wanted solid pieces for them. I was going to go buy another 4 x 8 piece of ply when I remembered that I had a bit of OSB left over. So my panels #5 and #6 are made out of OSB. I braced them as good as I could (because Bill says that they will crumble over time) but we'll see how well that goes.

dbl

HAHA im not laughing at you exactly. Just this idea, imagine showing this thing off to a friend your both looking in the mouth of it and then next thing you know you hear a huge hiccup and it starts spitting wood chips at you. That would be hilariously devastating if you know what i mean. But theres no need to worry about that because it will never happen,stuff like that only happens to me.

List your favorite BASS movies here...http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/FrontPage
post #98 of 243 Old 12-20-2009, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Super,

Have you fired that huge bitch up yet? What do you think?

JSS
post #99 of 243 Old 12-20-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Well we are going to load in the woofer tomorrow night and finish up the access panel. One issue that we realized just yesterday is that I can't get this thing into my Subaru forester, it is just TOO BIG! So I have a buddy with a Suburban bringing it here late tomorrow night. So I think I may actually get to play with it Tuesday and see what this big guy can do!
post #100 of 243 Old 12-20-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well we are going to load in the woofer tomorrow night and finish up the access panel. One issue that we realized just yesterday is that I can't get this thing into my Subaru forester, it is just TOO BIG! So I have a buddy with a Suburban bringing it here late tomorrow night. So I think I may actually get to play with it Tuesday and see what this big guy can do!

You got a car amp and a pre-outs in your buddy's Suburban? Have some fun with it on the way to your house

Fine Print:
I know, I know. Before I get bashed by the perfectionists. It's not a car sub, just playin' around.

dbl

post #101 of 243 Old 12-20-2009, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Why wouldn't this beast work out for a car subwoofer?
post #102 of 243 Old 12-20-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Not designed for cabin (area inside the car) loading. Go with this one for your car.

dbl

post #103 of 243 Old 12-20-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

WiSounds (the guy who has 8 THTs) cracked his windshield down the middle playing one THT in his SUV....

JSS
post #104 of 243 Old 12-20-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not designed for cabin (area inside the car) loading. Go with this one for your car.

dbl

I'm well aware of the auto tuba, but just was wondering why you couldn't use the THT if you had a big vehicle?
post #105 of 243 Old 12-20-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey super, have you got a definite plan on the finish for this thing?

post #106 of 243 Old 12-20-2009, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecew View Post

Hey super, have you got a definite plan on the finish for this thing?

Doing two fake doors on the front to cover the access panel (doors will be removable) with a fake drawer above the doors. Wanting to do a granite top. But the absolute finishing may have to wait till closer to spring with warmer weather for doing painting and such outside.
post #107 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Doing two fake doors on the front to cover the access panel (doors will be removable) with a fake drawer above the doors. Wanting to do a granite top. But the absolute finishing may have to wait till closer to spring with warmer weather for doing painting and such outside.

Im with you on the weather but today was beautiful and i believe tomorrow is suppose to be as well. Just shut the garage door and inhale the fumes the weather wont effect ya . How will you secure the doors to where they dont rattle from the vibrations and still be removable? I like your idea and might have to steal it haha. Once you get it to your house and in place post some pics. I like seeing how people have integrated such a large box into theyre rooms.

post #108 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecew View Post

Im with you on the weather but today was beautiful and i believe tomorrow is suppose to be as well. Just shut the garage door and inhale the fumes the weather wont effect ya . How will you secure the doors to where they dont rattle from the vibrations and still be removable? I like your idea and might have to steal it haha. Once you get it to your house and in place post some pics. I like seeing how people have integrated such a large box into theyre rooms.

Well the first priority is to have the woofer loaded tonight and the access panel set, and then make sure that I have NO AIR LEAKS! I have the in laws coming into town on Thursday and really want to do any EQ/GAIN/CROSSOVER tweaking that needs to be done and also run Audyssey with days to spare to make sure that I got everything perfect before they come. My father in law is a bit of an audio guy and I really think that he will be able to appreciate that Tuba HT and what I have done with the room. I sold my reef aquarium just yesterday afternoon, and now I am able to set my mains (Klipsch KLF-30's) about 3 feet further apart to give me a wider sound field. So the aquarium removal along with the Klipsch SUB-12 removal and the Tuba HT addition, things will be sounding quite different this week! I can't wait!!!!

As far as the fake door attachment- I was thinking neodymium magnets. They come in very high strengths (even dangerously high strengths in very small sizes) so I thought they would be quite easy to use, though I am not sold on the idea quite yet. Definitely open for suggestions.
post #109 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Im think i may try to comeup with something fancy for mine. But not sure yet. Does your access panel have to be on the side facing into the room? When i invisioned the door idea i pictured regular hinged doors of a cainet meeting in the middle fully functioning. But having something that held them forcefully in place in the middle. Im sure if you buy some super strength magnets it would work. But cant say for sure because im not sure how much vibrations you get on the exterior of the cab if any. But just to be safe you might want to line the edges of each door with a very thin maybe felt like material. Just like the round dots you can buy from the store for door jams and cabinet doors. That should take care of any wood on wood rattling. Who knows its just an initial idea could be superb or could be rubbish lol. Almost forgot i was also thinking if it could done without sacrificing performance even putting on some nice legs. Maybe put some of the 4" rounded furnitire legs you can buy premade with hardware included at lowes. They are flat on both the bottom and top so would provide good support. Dont know if it being off the ground would change anything performance wise. I doubt it would but then again you never know.

post #110 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

EQ/GAIN/CROSSOVER tweaking that needs to be done and also run Audyssey .

What version of Audyssey? What else will be in your audio chain from receiver to sub? This is VERY IMPORTANT. Audyssey can inadvertently give a 9dB boost to subsonic frequencies.

You should be good with Neo magnets, just put a small layer of felt on the deorative panels where they will touch the THT so the decorative panels won't rattle.

DO NOT LET ANYONE PUT LITTLE NEO MAGNETS IN THEIR MOUTHS!! There was a kid near where I live that needed parts of his intestines removed because he swalowed two of them at separate times, and they somehow got stuck together inside him later, while each of them was in a different part of his intestine....not good.

JSS
post #111 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

I plan on putting spike feet on the THT. Will glue 4 wood blocks to the bottom four corners that are just high enough to put the metal threaded inserts into that come in a spike feet kit. Anyone know where I can get spike feet that are around 4-6 inches long?
post #112 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

What version of Audyssey? What else will be in your audio chain from receiver to sub? This is VERY IMPORTANT. Audyssey can inadvertently give a 9dB boost to subsonic frequencies.

You should be good with Neo magnets, just put a small layer of felt on the deorative panels where they will touch the THT so the decorative panels won't rattle.

DO NOT LET ANYONE PUT LITTLE NEO MAGNETS IN THEIR MOUTHS!! There was a kid near where I live that needed parts of his intestines removed because he swalowed two of them at separate times, and they somehow got stuck together inside him later, while each of them was in a different part of his intestine....not good.

JSS

I have the Denon AVR-989 which has the Audyssey MultiEQ XT Dynamic EQ.

Freaky story about the kid swallowing the mangets!
post #113 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I have essentially the same receiver, 2809ci. What amp will you use for the THT, and will there be anything connected between that amp and your receiver?

[EDIT: I remember you have the Dayton standalone amp. I would setup using Audyssey with the subsonic filter OFF, and then run distortion tests or play some real LFE material at the levels you will listen at, and if it sounds funny, switch the subsonic filter on. Then play with the parametric EQ to get the most distortion free sound.]

Audyssey does a damned good job of setting up EQ for you. You should just have to adjust the crossover settings (if that). Use all 8 positions when you do the setup, like it says in the Audyssey setup guide (also here on the AVS forum).

JSS
post #114 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

I have essentially the same receiver, 2809ci. What amp will you use for the THT, and will there be anything connected between that amp and your receiver?

[EDIT: I remember you have the Dayton standalone amp. I would setup using Audyssey with the subsonic filter OFF, and then run distortion tests or play some real LFE material at the levels you will listen at, and if it sounds funny, switch the subsonic filter on. Then play with the parametric EQ to get the most distortion free sound.]

Audyssey does a damned good job of setting up EQ for you. You should just have to adjust the crossover settings (if that). Use all 8 positions when you do the setup, like it says in the Audyssey setup guide (also here on the AVS forum).

JSS

Thanks for the heads up, nothing will be between the Denon 989 and the Dayton SA1000. One thing I noticed is that the Audyssey really messed up the crossover settings for my surround speakers, but I think I read that it was an issue with the Audyssey calibration and that it is common. So I think I will set the THT at 80 hertz and below, then go ahead and run tests to see at what point to set the subsonic to.
post #115 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1219
Quote:

I plan on putting spike feet on the THT.

Why? Spikes are of little to no benefit on a sub of this magnitude.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #116 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Why? Spikes are of little to no benefit on a sub of this magnitude.

Really? I did not know this, at what point do spikes become irrelevant?
post #117 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really? I did not know this, at what point do spikes become irrelevant?

With the output of the THT any conceivable benefit will be so infinitesimal it's not worth the bother. For that matter IMO a sub that measurably benefits from spikes isn't much of a sub.

post #118 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

With the output of the THT any conceivable benefit will be so infinitesimal it's not worth the bother. For that matter IMO a sub that measurably benefits from spikes isn't much of a sub.

Gotcha, I guess I will just put some modest feet on the THT and be done with it then. Thanks for the input Bill!
post #119 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gotcha, I guess I will just put some modest feet on the THT and be done with it then. Thanks for the input Bill!

I wouldn't even do that in a carpeted room. Feet will make it impossible to slide about and will put permanent dents in the carpet.

post #120 of 243 Old 12-21-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up, nothing will be between the Denon 989 and the Dayton SA1000. One thing I noticed is that the Audyssey really messed up the crossover settings for my surround speakers, but I think I read that it was an issue with the Audyssey calibration and that it is common. So I think I will set the THT at 80 hertz and below, then go ahead and run tests to see at what point to set the subsonic to.

Here's the link to the Audyssey setup guide:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

JSS
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page