Wardsweb DIY 3-way horns - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 01-28-2010, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HOLY COW! Those are absloutely beautiful! If those sound 1/10 as good as they look, you are enjoying yourself everytime you drop round piece of vinyl on the platter! Simply amazing...I cannot find the words...I think I am about to cry a little!

WardsWeb, how much time & $ do you figure you have invested in those? Just appromiate...if you show us your timesheet from everytime you clocked in and out working on them you will reveal your inner OCD!

Again, nice work!

A bigger hammer is only better until you hit your thumb with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 01-28-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrojx View Post

HOLY COW! Those are absloutely beautiful! If those 1/10 as good as they look, you are enjoying yourself everytime you drop round piece of vinyl on the platter! Simply amazing...I cannot find the words...I think I am about to cry a little!

WardsWeb, how much time & $ do you figure you have invested in those? Just appromiate...if you show us your timesheet from everytime you clocked in and out working on them you will reveal your inner OCD!

Again, nice work!

If I was to be paid by the hour, I could not afford me. Suffice it to say there are hundreds of hours and several thousand dollars invested over years.

~ There are many roads to audio nirvana. While the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride ~

post #33 of 37 Old 02-22-2010, 11:33 AM
SeƱor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Obviously a labor of love and an outstanding result.

Beautiful work Wardsweb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #34 of 37 Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

ChaoticBliss - Once the veneer was glued down, I hand block sanded them starting with some 220. I worked my way through some 320 and did a final with some 400. I then brushed on about 4 thick layers of Deft gloss laquer. I let this dry for a couple days and then block sanded with 320 and 400. I brushed on four more coats and repeaded the process. Finally I sprayed two coats of Deft gloss.

Even when dry to the touch and you can sand, the lacquer is not cured. It takes about a month for it to really setup. Until then do not lay anything on the speaker or it will literally sink in and leave a mark (don't ask me how I know this).

~ There are many roads to audio nirvana. While the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride ~

post #35 of 37 Old 07-28-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks for reviving this thread and reminding me how much I like the way they look. Fine job!

Where do you get the metal mesh you used for the grills?
post #36 of 37 Old 07-28-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingInterest View Post

Thanks for reviving this thread and reminding me how much I like the way they look. Fine job!

Where do you get the metal mesh you used for the grills?

The perf is steel, 22 gauge, 1/4" hex x 0.285" on staggered centers. This makes it 77% open area. It has good spring for holding itself in the cabinet. I bought it online at http://perf-plus.com/prod1.htm. You can also find similar at http://mcnichols.com. I had them cut the sheet down for me.

The width is cut slightly larger than the opening to cause the bow in the metal that follows the contour of the speaker. The grill cloth is held on with automotive trim I got from J. C. Whitney

post #37 of 37 Old 12-17-2012, 02:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The craftsmanship is breathtaking and cheers for a job extremely well done. Stunningly beautiful.
Did you measure a frequency response curve?
I have a pair of Altec Lansing model 19's waiting to be resurrected and this is giving me ideas.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page