Reece's THT build just had to be a follower - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
HOLY CRAP , i have to start off with something like that rather than the explict version that is coming to mind. I had to stop Terminator Salvation after the gas station scene so i could write this. This movie not only is amazing in the LFE department but all the audio content is amazing. The audio mixers deserve an award for this, they held nothing back. But i broke out the spl meter and volt meter for this scene. Im listening to it at -10 from the tuned reference point. I was getting very consistent 110db readings everytime the LFE hit and 3 seperate times(big explosions and massive destrustion sequences) it was around 114-115db holding for the whole effect not just a quick spike. This is from my LP over 16ft from the sub and nearest back wall is 11ft. So no direct boundry reflections are making the readings higher. I watched this scene 4 times, twice watching the spl meter and 2 watching the volt meter to be certain what i was seeing was correct. When the 110db readings were happening there was only 6-8 volts registering. When i got the 115db readings the meter was registering high 12.x volt readings. This is just insane amounts of CLEAN bass at less than half the maximum acceptable power. Its WAY WAY more than i hoped for. I was wanting a sub capable of consistent 105db-110db output at my normal listening level at my LP, content permitting. I had my mind set there was no possible way to get this out of one sub in my room. I wouldve bet this single THT wouldnt have done this. Some of you might have been able to tell this was the outlook i had by some of my post in here and other threads. I could go on and on how impressed i am and glad ive finally got the bass ive been wanting but ill end it here. I now see why there is so much HYPE over these. Its not just a FAD that anyone will ever regret building if you decide to jump on the bandwagon. Everybody DO IT DO IT build one as fast as possible!

List your favorite BASS movies here...http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/FrontPage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Haha. Amen.
post #363 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
HAHAHA.... still only 13 volts? Hahahahaha!!!!I felt the same way!!!!!!!

STILL NEED TWO??????????

Add your favorite bass-heavy movies here; http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/
post #364 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Supply View Post

HAHAHA.... still only 13 volts? Hahahahaha!!!!I felt the same way!!!!!!!

STILL NEED TWO??????????

HAHA no freaking way do i need another for more output. But it would be nice to have one to help any FR blips i may have. You are absolutley crazy having two colocated like you do. Now i see why your house is ready to throw up in those videos lol.

post #365 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

reece ,
These things are fun to play with arent they?

If at first you dont succeed , get a bigger hammer !
post #366 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Just talked to Reecew on the phone.He's very happy with his sub!!
post #367 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

I think everyone who has built one of these is quite pleased.
Thank you Bill

post #368 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes they are very fun to play with. I really need to get some good HEAVY BASS cd's to play on this. Also i need some really good quality sine waves. I burned the real traps cd but it has to be a bad burn. Im getting very low audible noise out of the center speaker. It increases a little with the volume raise and since it increases i think its from the cd. TS down and now im going tostart making my way down the heavy bass dvd list again.

post #369 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

I just ran a few scenes from the Ironman BD. Man when he comes out of that cave my whole house was complaining badly.

post #370 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecew View Post

Yes they are very fun to play with. I really need to get some good HEAVY BASS cd's to play on this. Also i need some really good quality sine waves. I burned the real traps cd but it has to be a bad burn. Im getting very low audible noise out of the center speaker. It increases a little with the volume raise and since it increases i think its from the cd. TS down and now im going tostart making my way down the heavy bass dvd list again.

There are a bunch of free bass tracks and sine waves here.
post #371 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LOL the sub was cheap to build. But now that its built my wallets going to get hit with the blu-ray bills now. I had been buying them in stores not anymore. Im going to get them offline from now on theyre on average about $5-$10 cheaper.

post #372 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyangryhappy View Post

There are a bunch of free bass tracks and sine waves here.

Thankyou for the link. Now that ive seen the site again i remember i made a cd of some of these a while back and lost it. Now i can try it again.

post #373 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I really need to get some good HEAVY BASS cd's to play on this. Also i need some really good quality sine waves.

Try Realm of Excursion for music as well as sine waves, you should find some good content there. If you haven't already, register for the free membership then download to your heart's content.

Edit: happyangryhappy, you beat me to the punch before I could finish with my post.
post #374 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

HOLY CRAP , i have to start off with something like that rather than the explict version that is coming to mind. I had to stop Terminator Salvation after the gas station scene so i could write this. This movie not only is amazing in the LFE department but all the audio content is amazing. The audio mixers deserve an award for this, they held nothing back. But i broke out the spl meter and volt meter for this scene. Im listening to it at -10 from the tuned reference point. I was getting very consistent 110db readings everytime the LFE hit and 3 seperate times(big explosions and massive destrustion sequences) it was around 114-115db holding for the whole effect not just a quick spike. This is from my LP over 16ft from the sub and nearest back wall is 11ft. So no direct boundry reflections are making the readings higher. I watched this scene 4 times, twice watching the spl meter and 2 watching the volt meter to be certain what i was seeing was correct. When the 110db readings were happening there was only 6-8 volts registering. When i got the 115db readings the meter was registering high 12.x volt readings. This is just insane amounts of CLEAN bass at less than half the maximum acceptable power. Its WAY WAY more than i hoped for. I was wanting a sub capable of consistent 105db-110db output at my normal listening level at my LP, content permitting. I had my mind set there was no possible way to get this out of one sub in my room. I wouldve bet this single THT wouldnt have done this. Some of you might have been able to tell this was the outlook i had by some of my post in here and other threads. I could go on and on how impressed i am and glad ive finally got the bass ive been wanting but ill end it here. I now see why there is so much HYPE over these. Its not just a FAD that anyone will ever regret building if you decide to jump on the bandwagon. Everybody DO IT DO IT build one as fast as possible!

This post is just too cool.

I'm glad to see that you're happy with it! I had a feeling this might be the eventual outcome. Congrats on finding the bass that you've been looking for.

This pretty much means that the THT will easily meet my requirements, considering that it seems like I listen at the same levels you do.

Now if I can just find a way over there.....
post #375 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku14139268520 View Post

This post is just too cool.

I'm glad to see that you're happy with it! I had a feeling this might be the eventual outcome. Congrats on finding the bass that you've been looking for.

This pretty much means that the THT will easily meet my requirements, considering that it seems like I listen at the same levels you do.

Now if I can just find a way over there.....

Anytime john your welcome to come check it out. If you have something bass heavy youd like to bring over if you come go for it. I enjoy messing around with this stuff. Im going to be trying out different placement options soon. Well just one more spot at the rear of the room corner loaded.

post #376 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am happy to hear it suits your fancy.

It takes awhile to get used to the quality and quantity of bass being produced at such low power levels. This is a really good thing as you now have a system with LOTS and LOTS of dynamic headroom. I think it's almost essential to test the sub with a voltmeter so you understand the subs ridiculous limits.

As I mentioned in my LLT vs THT review thread. I was very aware of the LLT's limits and I wasn't used to the uber clean strong output of the THT. When I first connected my voltmeter and did the tests I thought my voltmeter was bad. I just couldn't believe that the THT was 30 watts was blowing away my LLT with 1000 watts.

Enjoy your THT. Welcome to the club
post #377 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thankyou, mynym for welcoming to the club haha. Yes im not sure ill ever be able to take this thing to the max power during a movie as my other speakers couldnt dream of keep up at max SPL. Its almost unbelieveable the little power it takes to push this thing to reference levels. Sure theres subs out there that can best it but not with only 30watts.

post #378 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anytime john your welcome to come check it out. If you have something bass heavy youd like to bring over if you come go for it. I enjoy messing around with this stuff. Im going to be trying out different placement options soon. Well just one more spot at the rear of the room corner loaded.

Yeah, I really need to workout a time with you to come by and check it out. What do you have your mains crossed over to the THT at?
post #379 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku14139268520 View Post

Yeah, I really need to workout a time with you to come by and check it out. What do you have your mains crossed over to the THT at?

80hz i tried 100 and 90 but 80 sounded the most uniform.

post #380 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 PM

I have a digital volt meter but am having issues connecting it...hows the best way to do this? BTW...just finished my own THT and yeah....insane! Will write a formal review shortly...love hearing all the results!!
post #381 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

To toot this horn again,
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=742969

It is more than just calibration. Tom Danley's Fireworks wave is in the 2-channel section. Plenty of LFE sine waves, and sweeps as well. From 1Hz up in the 5.1 extras section.
Be very careful.
post #382 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
good to hear! Gotta love the power of the THT!! I still haven"t listened to any lossless audio yet, can"t wait!
post #383 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk2007 View Post

I have a digital volt meter but am having issues connecting it...hows the best way to do this? BTW...just finished my own THT and yeah....insane! Will write a formal review shortly...love hearing all the results!!

Well depends on what type of speaker terminal you are using. If you have a regular speaker terminal with the screw type caps that hold the wire in place. You could clamp down then multimeter ends in with the wire. Or if your speaker terminal accepts bananna deals you could also just set the ends inside where the bananna deals go. Mines up against a wall so thats all i did is set them in there and push it against the wall so they were held in there with a good connection. And i set the meter on top of the box for easy reading. I hope thats what you were asking.

post #384 of 610 Old 01-04-2010, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post

good to hear! Gotta love the power of the THT!! I still haven"t listened to any lossless audio yet, can"t wait!

You have to love the lossless audio. I think its only the people who dont have the proper eguipment to play all the lossless formats are the ones saying theres no difference. I may be the one whos flown over the cukoos nest but i can tell a difference in the quality of the effects.

post #385 of 610 Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 AM

yeah Im using the dayton binding posts...maybe i just have the meter on the wrong setting...I will try it that way.. thanks!
post #386 of 610 Old 01-05-2010, 08:53 AM

reecew - I hope you don't mind my jumping into your thread in search of some information.

These THT sub build threads have me excited about possibly building one of these this spring. I have read a lot of these build threads and it seems that many of those who have them currently have come from the DIY world. I don't know anything about DIY subs so when people compare the THT's to other DIY subs I have no frame of reference. My current sub (which I love) is the MFW-15 and it does a great job for LFE in my room. How does the THT subs compare to the MFW-15? I need to know if building this would be a step up or just a step sideways and not worth the time and $ to build? Thanks guys for any information you may be able to offer.
Aaron
post #387 of 610 Old 01-05-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Rone View Post

reecew - I hope you don't mind my jumping into your thread in search of some information.

These THT sub build threads have me excited about possibly building one of these this spring. I have read a lot of these build threads and it seems that many of those who have them currently have come from the DIY world. I don't know anything about DIY subs so when people compare the THT's to other DIY subs I have no frame of reference. My current sub (which I love) is the MFW-15 and it does a great job for LFE in my room. How does the THT subs compare to the MFW-15? I need to know if building this would be a step up or just a step sideways and not worth the time and $ to build? Thanks guys for any information you may be able to offer.
Aaron

You can build one of these if you never have built anything before. Its simple a little intimidating is all when looking at the plans. But once you get into theres nothing to worry about. These should out perform your mfw-15 with no problem. Maybe someone else around here has owned one and can chime in. You can build a THT from start to finish with amplification for around $400-$450 depending on amplification you choose.

post #388 of 610 Old 01-05-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just downloaded and played a few of those bass mekanik and basstronic tracks. I dont know what type of music youd consider it or it would identify with. But when i played it i felt like all that was missing was some E, a bag of shrooms, glow sticks, and some hot chicks in skimpy clothing jumping around and it wouldve been just like being at a rave lol. The sub is very musical and keeps up great with fast bass. I guess that would be considered being tactile?? Real nice clean hit you in the chest bass. I guess ive thrown just about every type of source it would see in a regular home setting and it hasnt dissappointed anywhere. Sure it would be nice for it to go down to 10hz. But its really not needed for your everyday movie watching and music listening.

post #389 of 610 Old 01-05-2010, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Sure it would be nice for it to go down to 10hz. But its really not needed for your everyday movie watching and music listening.

you just hit the nail on the head, my friend. For music, you don't really need much response below 30Hz (except for stuff like 'Bass I Love You'). For movies, you really only need strong, clean output down to 20Hz (look at Terminator Salvation and Transformers 2 waterfalls), anything below is just bonus...

For comparison, most movie theaters can't even do clean output at reference at 30Hz....

But I like the subsonic bonus stuff, so later this year some 12-15Hz horns will be in the construction queue for me...once you go below a 12Hz horn or so, excursion becomes a real problem, and you'll end up spending more on wood than you will on the driver!

For below 10Hz, you need lots of drivers, or a rotary woofer...

JSS
post #390 of 610 Old 01-05-2010, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

you just hit the nail on the head, my friend. For music, you don't really need much response below 30Hz (except for stuff like 'Bass I Love You'). For movies, you really only need strong, clean output down to 20Hz (look at Terminator Salvation and Transformers 2 waterfalls), anything below is just bonus...

For comparison, most movie theaters can't even do clean output at reference at 30Hz....

But I like the subsonic bonus stuff, so later this year some 12-15Hz horns will be in the construction queue for me...once you go below a 12Hz horn or so, excursion becomes a real problem, and you'll end up spending more on wood than you will on the driver!

For below 10Hz, you need lots of drivers, or a rotary woofer...

JSS

I agree theres little content below 20hz and if you can get it great but you wont miss much if you cant IMO. If i could find a good proven 12hz horn i probably would build it like you just to do it. As long as it wasnt too ridiculously huge like the size of a bathroom or something lol. Ive got a really nice big spot in the rear corner of my room thats begging for something to fill it. Im going to try the THT there hopefully it will be a good place for bass. But other than something like that i shouldnt need another sub to acheive more ouput. Maybe a second to smooth the FR if anything.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page