Reed 38hz tapped horn - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Honestly - the driver used here will play a bit lower than 38 Hz in a tapped horn, you can get them down to 30 Hz without too much effort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by radman12 View Post

beyond enjoying them. they are perfect! everyone that hears them is beyond baffled on how a dorky 6.5" is putting out that much bass/spl. i have had them for a couple months now and I still even wonder how they produce that much incredible bass. any joe blow can make one of these thing in no time at all. i still need to veneer them, I got the veneer just got to apply it now. I also am going to make a little grill that magnetizes inside the mouth, so in the end it just look like one tall black column in the corner. these could easily be hidden by a plant in a corner or chair or what not.

As far as anything i would do differently, nothing really, these are too simple for anything to really go wrong or anything to change.

Being that my new fetish is these horns I actually want to build 2 more, for the other corners in my office and to play with in buddies homes one in each corner.

If you have $100 bucks in your pocket that is burning a hole, you can build two of these and it will be the best 100 you ever spent.

what a great coda to such a simple build.

any chance that you could drag one outside and take some simple measurements? nothing too complicated, just put some test tones through them and record the spl reading on your meter every 5hz from 20-80hz. should take less than 10 mins and will give others a sense of what these things can really do.

we can then use that data with models in hornresp in order to determine max spl, power handling, excursion limited spl, etc. that way folks will have some idea of how your horns compare with other options. right now, folks have no idea what you are getting out of your subs or what there potential/limit is and would be all over these things if they could hear them in person.

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Measurements coming on Friday.

Due to some work-related travel, I'll be within spitting distance of radman's place Friday evening, so I figured I'd scamper over, measure all his subs, and drink most of his beer.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

hey, that's really cool lilmike.

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Coolest part is that I get to learn something as part of this. The more I measure, the more I have to compare to.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

the coolest part is that we all get to share in your measurements and radman's build!

by the way...thanks lilmike!

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i should have two more different tapped horns built (using a diffferent little/monster drivers reaching down to 25hz), completed that lilmike has designed and can measure for us. I hope this build measures to what was predicted if so, I am going to build 2 more, ( 4 total) for my bedroom setup. If the build and measurements come out as predicted, i think we will start to see a crapload of threads starting up with this build/design from lilmike.

out to the shop to finish them up...............
Old 03-22-2010, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

awesome (on many fronts radman).

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

i should have two more different tapped horns built (using a diffferent little/monster drivers reaching down to 25hz), completed that lilmike has designed and can measure for us. I hope this build measures to what was predicted if so, I am going to build 2 more, ( 4 total) for my bedroom setup. If the build and measurements come out as predicted, i think we will start to see a crapload of threads starting up with this build/design from lilmike.

out to the shop to finish them up...............

Cool!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Radman,

Great build ! This is true value, for the money I doubt one can do a good deal better.

I may just order four of these TB drivers with my PE order of Daytons for the four Tuba HT!

Fun and simple project, I like.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

especially when the drivers are on sale and 1 $30 sheet of 4x8 mdf will make 2 of these, pretty hard to beat. the foot print makes them pretty versatile, any office, conference room, bedroom, list goes on....people will not grasp that the tall skinny thing in the corner is making the boom, here is how i have my office situated now...

Old 03-25-2010, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

oh and here is a sneak peak of something else... more info to come if the results are satisfactory with some measurements by a mastermind with some equipment, I measure with my ears becuase i know nothing else...first impression, VERY NICE!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Damn! You did a nice job on that guy. Looks like you used birch ply, what are the dims of that box and the driver size?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Old 03-25-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Isn't that the double folded version?
Old 03-25-2010, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

negative to all, 25hz with exodus anarchy 6.5"
Old 03-25-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Rad, what are you using for amplification?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

for the 2 tangbands I'm using the parts express 70w plate amp

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-784

for the exodus anarchy builds, I'm building 4 of those and using the dayton plate amp 240w to power all 4
Old 03-25-2010, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey boy - get that cat back in the bag!

This is a little design that I came up with here, and further discussed here, with more complete info included a few posts later.

The idea was a "rest of the world" type of sub - reasonably sized with respectable performance. A pair placed along walls or in corners should be adequate for 99% of the potential users. That last 1% all post in the forums I frequent, and are all reading this, so this is not a high-powered monster home theater sub for you. It should be a decent little sub and it really is designed to be used in multiples. A pair of these should get to 100 dB at a typical LP from 25 Hz on up with ~100 watts per driver. Four should do reference levels plus.

Looks like radman12 has done a great job building it (thanks!), and his initial listening impressions are favorable. I've got my measurement gear packed up and ready to go, and should have these (as well as his other efforts) measured some time tomorrow evening.

Rest assured, if this measures as it should, details, measurements, and full plans will be posted. As I've said in the past, I don't want to waste other people's time with my simulations and designs if they do not work out.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

i got the cat on a leash...., just wanted to give a little teaser...a thread will come soon if the results are favorable per lilmikes measurements. if it is a loss, then nobody will even know it existed, although the measurements from my ears are really favorable. it was one of those things, watching the hulk, tranformers, finding nemo and others, i just kept oonn watching as the bass was very full, deep, and clean.

i just have to tip my hat to mike in handing me the plans and letting me build it regardless if it sucks or not, i will be the test dummy, as any reason to build something, I'm all for. As it stands this sucker is stayin and more to come.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
I have Kevin's original Exodus 6.5" drivers. I wonder if they would do okay?

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
Old 03-25-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Got the complete T/S specs for the drivers? Get them to me, I can punch them into the model for you.

The Tang Band W6-1139 also works in this cabinet, just not quite as well as the Anarchy
Old 03-25-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i got the cat on a leash...., just wanted to give a little teaser...a thread will come soon if the results are favorable per lilmikes measurements. if it is a loss, then nobody will even know it existed, although the measurements from my ears are really favorable. it was one of those things, watching the hulk, tranformers, finding nemo and others, i just kept oonn watching as the bass was very full, deep, and clean.

i just have to tip my hat to mike in handing me the plans and letting me build it regardless if it sucks or not, i will be the test dummy, as any reason to build something, I'm all for. As it stands this sucker is stayin and more to come.

Cat - on a leash? This I gotta see. Tried that a while back - the cat had other ideas....

It is the Interweb - everyone knows now!

Hmmmm, what else have I got for you to build.....
Old 03-25-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

Cat - on a leash? This I gotta see. Tried that a while back - the cat had other ideas....

It is the Interweb - everyone knows now!

Hmmmm, what else have I got for you to build.....

I should have saved off the data since Kevin's site now just links to the 6.5" anarchy which is the upgrade to the originals.

I guess I could learn how to use WT3 too and just get all the #s myself

Old 03-25-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

This is a little design that I came up with here, and further discussed here, with more complete info included a few posts later.

The idea was a "rest of the world" type of sub - reasonably sized with respectable performance. A pair placed along walls or in corners should be adequate for 99% of the potential users. That last 1% all post in the forums I frequent, and are all reading this, so this is not a high-powered monster home theater sub for you. It should be a decent little sub and it really is designed to be used in multiples. A pair of these should get to 100 dB at a typical LP from 25 Hz on up with ~100 watts per driver. Four should do reference levels plus.

Looks like radman12 has done a great job building it (thanks!), and his initial listening impressions are favorable. I've got my measurement gear packed up and ready to go, and should have these (as well as his other efforts) measured some time tomorrow evening.

Rest assured, if this measures as it should, details, measurements, and full plans will be posted. As I've said in the past, I don't want to waste other people's time with my simulations and designs if they do not work out.

I am sitting here with my Anarchys waiting for some plans....looks like a great little build.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

pinky the cat!!! yeah that didnt work out to well on a leash. I just need to figure out how to veneer now. anyone live in eastern washington with some serious veneering skills. I got a sample of wilsonart madagascar, jesus, the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. These wrapped in that veneer and it would be a true piece of art.

Yeah after these are built it will be onto the next ones......
Old 03-25-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:

I am now voting you MVP of the DIY speaker/sub section for March 2010! Take a bow sir, you have earned it!

I can't wait to see how this all turns out.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Got the complete T/S specs for the drivers? Get them to me, I can punch them into the model for you.

The Tang Band W6-1139 also works in this cabinet, just not quite as well as the Anarchy

Here is what WT3 produced for me

Old 03-26-2010, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Here is what WT3 produced for me

That is pretty close.... although you have to do the delta mass to get the compliance related stuff.

Re: 6.4 Ohm
Le: 0.32mH
Fs: 36.5
Qms: 1.15 (yes..it is really that low)
Qes: .40
Qts: .30
Mms: 13.56g
Cms: 1.4 x 10-3 m/N
Vas: 28.22L
Sd: 120 cm^2
BL: 7.03

These are about as accurate as you can get for a broken-in driver at sea level @ 65 deg. F. I didn't take a barometric pressure reading.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Old 03-26-2010, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Kevin!

I hope the originals will work in a THT design. They would be perfect in my office and bedroom.